Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a couple questions about this engine break in method. I know you warm the bike up, get it up to 30 in 3rd gear, open the throttle to 60, let off the throttle back to 30, repeat 10 times. My questions are, do I do this from mile 1 or whatever mile I get the bike at, or do you wait 100 miles or so? Post 10th time, good to go? Change the oil then or at 1000?

Thanks ahead of time.

· Registered
654 Posts
Check out this www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm. I believe every engine should not be thrashed, but they should not be used too gently. Whether driving bikes, cars, trucks, planes or trains, engines are meant to be revved up to or near the end of their normal rev range and they should never be bogged. So buy a new oil filter when you pick up your bike, ride hard, always vary the RPMs for about 50 to 100 miles and change the oil when you get home. Otherwise follow the manufacturers recommendations and take a very long break-in schedule. But probably not the best. By the way, Welcome to the forum.

· Registered
896 Posts
I loosely followed the 30-60-30, changed oil and filter at 200 miles, changed oil only at 500 miles, and will do a switch to synthetic oil at 1000 miles.

First 200 I wasn't overly rough on it, between 200-500 miles I was a little more aggressive. 500-1000 miles even more aggressive at times. 1000 miles I'll ride it like I stole it.

Don't overthink it, common sense goes far.

· Administrator
13,915 Posts
With modern metallurgy and the quality oils available , it's not rocket science anymore , like it used to was back in my ute ..

I break em in by the Harley book , they do just fine ..

JtB

· Registered
1,556 Posts
Check out this www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm. I believe every engine should not be thrashed, but they should not be used too gently. Whether driving bikes, cars, trucks, planes or trains, engines are meant to be revved up to or near the end of their normal rev range and they should never be bogged. So buy a new oil filter when you pick up your bike, ride hard, always vary the RPMs for about 50 to 100 miles and change the oil when you get home. Otherwise follow the manufacturers recommendations and take a very long break-in schedule. But probably not the best. By the way, Welcome to the forum.
+1 on this advise and link.:)

· Registered
8,503 Posts
I break it in per the Harley owner's manual, after that I just ride. I do pay attention on not lugging the engine.

· Registered
250 Posts
If you are not breaking it in according to the owners manual then if you do have engine issues prepare to lie about the breakin method. According to MoCo, any deviation from the recommendation will void the warranty.

On the other side of the coin, as was stated, current metal, oil and manufacturing tolerances really preclude some of the old breakin practices. Like putting Synthetic in a brand new CVO engine??? WTF

· Registered
7,748 Posts
30-60-30 is ok but the 45-90-50 is better unless you chose the 60-60-60. Better yet have it broken by bubba on the dyno ,that is the only way to get it right.
It is all BS wait a year they well burn another joint hit a 6 pack and come up with another one.
Just ride the darn thing.

· Registered
5,170 Posts
Or use Wrenchbenders method, the dealer told him to keep his flxr in '97under 50 for the first 500..... He blasted by the hwy in front wide open at 90 leavin....Logic! If it's gonna break do it now closer to where it'll be coming back to this soon!

· Registered
103 Posts
Ride it hard, just like you did on the first date wit your OL

· Administrator
13,915 Posts
The proper method if ya really wanna know is this :

1) Fire up at the dealer
2) Engage clutch
3) Put in third gear
4) Bounce tach off rev limiter
5) Dump clutch between 4500 and 5000 rpm
6) Smoke the parking lot until

(a) tire deflates

(b) you run out of gas

(c) you drop the motor

JtB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.