Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've been watching these for a while now... how difficult is the install for them?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been watching these for a while now... how difficult is the install for them?
Installing just the mono tubes isn't too difficult. it's about a 2-3 hour job at best. If you get into new sliders it can take a little more time, but still not too hard. Norseman posted a video on the subject in the suspension section if you wanna get a good idea of what you're up against. We did Harley Hauler's last year in a couple of hours. Hardest part is getting those damn tabs to release the fender bolts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wish I knew someone that had Monotubes so I could compare their bike to mine. Mine stock was horrible. Felt way too soft, dipped way too much, horrible feel when riding hard in tight curves. Recently, I switched over to heavy fork oil and overfilled just a little bit (about 2 oz if I remember right) and it is a world of difference compared to stock, but I would still be interested in seeing if the Monotubes are even more of an improvement.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just did the monotube install 3 months ago, pretty straight forward with a service manual. You eill need a good vice to hold the slider when pulling apart, we used a cut rubber hose to assist with grip and prevent damage.

I dropped mine 1 inch when I added a 21, well worth the upgrade.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I wish I knew someone that had Monotubes so I could compare their bike to mine. Mine stock was horrible. Felt way too soft, dipped way too much, horrible feel when riding hard in tight curves. Recently, I switched over to heavy fork oil and overfilled just a little bit (about 2 oz if I remember right) and it is a world of difference compared to stock, but I would still be interested in seeing if the Monotubes are even more of an improvement.
The monotubes are a great improvement, I have absolutely no fork-dive w/ heavy front breaking. Will be one the first things I ever do w/ every ride I have.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Progressive Mono Tube Suspension

I started surf'n the web for these yesterday and saw the Amazon deal this morning. Best price by far I could find and none of the other vendors would price match. Made the purchase $236 and change delivered out the door ! Working with Forum Member Jetman on Glossy Black lowers and cow bells. Figured as long as the old forks are coming off I might as well do the job right and get some mono tubes!

Any advice on clips / no clips / one clip or two would be appreciated. Went with the 31-2500 = standard height. Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
clip count

On my stock height set of mono tubes with stock front rim I went with 2 clips. I'm 240, ride solo most of the time and prefer a firmer ride more on the cornering/handling side than cushy ride. I'm aggressive in the corners, put on lots of miles.
Tech support said I was on the edge of needing two clips. One would have been ok in their opinion. I went with two.
I think they were spot on with the advise. I have a firm ride. Firmer than many would be ok with.... when I need to pull apart for whatever reason I might switch to one clip, or not. Like they said, right on the edge. Two up it is perfect......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts