Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had clearance issues with 4.5 inch mufflers? Just ordered MK45s for my Road Glide Custom and was curious.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Ya, mine drug sometimes in a hard lean. Usually in a turn where I could roll the throttle on early in the turn. Makes the rear squat some.

When I upgraded my shocks I went with TRU shocks as opposed to the TRX shock. It raised the rear up an inch and the dragging went away.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi Ruger; another option is to replace the stock rear shocks with the H-D Premium Ride - upgraded Showa Standard Ride height with 40mm pistons and 14 mm rods. A lot of riders want the cool low-rider look, but you actually sacrifice handling for looks only. The extra rear wheel travel is a must when riding those twisties, not least if 2 up or heavy bags. JMO

I also roll the throttle so that the bike "rises" rather than "sits" when going through a curve thus getting some more clearance. My floorboards sometimes let off some sparks but never my mufflers! :)

Btw I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. Bicentennial edition! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ruger; another option is to replace the stock rear shocks with the H-D Premium Ride - upgraded Showa Standard Ride height with 40mm pistons and 14 mm rods. A lot of riders want the cool low-rider look, but you actually sacrifice handling for looks only. The extra rear wheel travel is a must when riding those twisties, not least if 2 up or heavy bags. JMO :D
Thanks for the reply. The big deal for me buying this particular bike when I did was because it came that way stock. I have short legs and it helps a lot. I have always had to opt for shorter shocks on previous bikes as well. I do also like the low look but that was secondary to reaching the ground.

Btw I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. Bicentennial edition! :D
Very cool!!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The big deal for me buying this particular bike when I did was because it came that way stock. I have short legs and it helps a lot. I have always had to opt for shorter shocks on previous bikes as well. I do also like the low look but that was secondary to reaching the ground.
Okay - have you considered the Low-Profile or Reach H-D seats? The Reach is very comfortable and place you 3/8" lower and 1-1/4" forward compared to stock. JMO

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Agree with whats said above. Lower the seat not the scooter.

Low in the rear is a look. If a rider rides hard enough to drag the cans, it probably is not a good look for that rider.

Floor boards give when they drag, cans and board brackets don't. More than a few scooters have been written off because they drug in a tight turn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

I have never actually drug a muffler on this bike but I have drug floorboards occasionally. I currently have Rush Big Louies and I'm switching to the MK45s for a couple of reasons and they are only going to equate to less than a 1/4 inch more mass on the outside.

I have not lowered the bike nor do I intend to. I really don't want to mod the suspension at all. The custom is maybe a 1/2 in. lower from factory and I just wanted to know if it would be that much difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I installed the MK45s and have put a few miles on them now. No clearance issues and the sound is SICK!!!! Deep growl with no raspyness and also improved low end torque. They are a bit quiet a first but really wake up after a few miles. I am totally impressed....way to go S&S.

A big thanks to the folks at Fuel Moto for the assistance and advice. The map they sent was spot on also!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got a 2018 CVO and am thinking about the V&H Power Duals with the MK45s. Those stretch bags swallow a 4” muffler it seems. Glad you like them. I’m in Michigan so unfortunately with winter coming I have time to decide. I have Fuel Moto with Jackpots on my other bikes but want a black exhaust on this Road Glide. Wish FM had a black system.

I installed the MK45s and have put a few miles on them now. No clearance issues and the sound is SICK!!!! Deep growl with no raspyness and also improved low end torque. They are a bit quiet a first but really wake up after a few miles. I am totally impressed....way to go S&S.

A big thanks to the folks at Fuel Moto for the assistance and advice. The map they sent was spot on also!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts