Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am adding the Boom speakers to the rear on my saddlebags. I do know that they come with wiring and all the connectors, but my question is will my 2012 factory HK unit run all 4 speakers decently?

I have read about a "4 channel update" that is supposedly needed to make the rear channels of the HK factory radio work. If this is true can I do it myself? I had asked my dealer in the area about doing it and he said it was like 800.00 to do so... That seems INSANE!!! I could buy a whole new radio and amps for that kind of money...

Any help here is greatly appreciated...

Mike.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I installed the Boom rear speakers myself without doing any type of 4 channel audio upgrade. I noticed a positive difference in the sound quality. About 1 month later I had the dealer install the Boom amp and front Boom speakers. The system sounds awesome, even at 80 mph. I was not charged for any type of 4 channel audio upgrade. I have seen the mention of the 4 channel audio upgrade on the website when looking at the Boom components, so I understand what you are talking about.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
The rear speakers are on. Just the fader is not programed to work.
The only thing you need the dealer to do is activate the Fader control after your instalation.
Harley does not charge the dealer for this download. But your dealer may charge you.
I had my dealer activate the fader control during a regular service. They did it free.
So if your local dealer wants to charge you, call another dealer.
Tell them your looking for a better dealer to serve for your future purchases.
Ask them if they will activate your fader control free. Can't hurt to ask.

·
Super Moderator
12,331 Posts
$800, did the dealer think you wanted to buy a new stereo, or was he just kidding you?

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Don't walk....RUN to a new dealer. What a rip off. Harley even advertises on the website that the factory head unit will run the boom speakers. Infact thats supposed to be one of the bennies of buying boom. That they are more efficient and make better use of the factory headunit's power.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I installed the Hog Tunes rear speaker pods on my tour pack, took the bike to the dealer for the fader flash. They charged me for a quarter hour of labor.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys... I do have several dealers in the area here even if some are a little ride away so I will call around to see what is charged...

Maybe while I can get some service work done they will throw it in for me...

Mike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts