Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Harley's radio is just an antiquated version of all the other mobile radios in the world, with some added gaskets for waterproofing.

All stereos connect one of two ways:

High level-speaker wires from radio to amp.

Lo level- RCA preouts from radio to amp.

There are pros and cons to each. The biggest difference is that with the high level hookup, the signal has already passed through the radio's internal amp and with low level it has not. ALL amps add some measure of distortion to your sound signal, so when using high level into an aftermarket amp, the distortion is amplified too creating less than optimal sound. That's why you'll read about guys using line levelers and magic boxes. These devices strip the distortion off of the signal and provide clean signal to your amp. Harley doesn't install RCA preouts so you HAVE to go the high level route.

My advice is that if you don't know audio well enough to mix and match yourself, go with someone like Soundz Customz. They use high quality equipment(Arc amps, Focal speakers), already tuned when it gets to your door.

Some of the less expensive stuff adds up when you replace it once or twice due to unhappiness or not being able to hear it at highway speeds. Everything sounds good in the garage. Bass at 80+ is the goal. It doesn't come cheap. I've got about $3k in mine and it rocks, but you can get the Soundz Customz level IV for $2k and I've heard it. It rocks too.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Great info! Helps me understand alot more. Thanks brother. I can't wait to hear back from Soundz. I have been doing alot of searching and if Soundz is more than I wanna spend I may go with a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 300 Watts RMS 4-Channel and a set of Kicker 41KM652C 6½" 2-way Marine Speakers for lowers, keeping the JBL GTO638 speakers I already have in the fairing.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok, another few questions.... Would it be ok if I were to have an amp with 90rms/channel powering speakers rated at 60rms. Or would I run the risk of blowing the speakers?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Great info! Helps me understand alot more. Thanks brother. I can't wait to hear back from Soundz. I have been doing alot of searching and if Soundz is more than I wanna spend I may go with a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 300 Watts RMS 4-Channel and a set of Kicker 41KM652C 6½" 2-way Marine Speakers for lowers, keeping the JBL GTO638 speakers I already have in the fairing.
Last I read about the pbr300x4 is that it ran pretty hot, the guys "over there" were not recommending them, just sayin'. I think the cerwin vega b54 has much more power, the caveat is you may lose it have degraded FM reception

If you're in the $700-$1000 range you should be able to put together a really nice system for that price point. Yo may even be able to get by with a little less & still have good components that you should be satisfied with. I'll post up a vid in the next day or so of my BT/Titan combo. Has some bass, but not quite as good as the arc moto speaks. That being said, most of the low frequencies get lost at speed because of engine, wind, & road noise, & it takes a lot of power & speakers to overcome that.
I'm pretty happy with my combo for now, was easy to install & gets plenty loud albeit not a lot of bass at speed, but I'm also only running the two fairing speaks. I will say that I can't turn it up beyond about 11-12 clicks before it's almost painful to my ears, which is where i tried it at today to overcome the wind noise. I'm running the stock shield.

·
Registered
590 Posts
So why can't you run a 6.5 biketronics coaxle up front and some 6.5 mids. in the lowers as subs? that new rockford fosgate 4 channle amp t400x ad i think should be able to do that.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
Ok, another few questions.... Would it be ok if I were to have an amp with 90rms/channel powering speakers rated at 60rms. Or would I run the risk of blowing the speakers?
Yes, it will be okay. With out using tuning equipment, you can adjust through your gain on Your amp using your ears. Make sure the amps ohms match the speakers.

Reactions: ! rock103 !

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The PBR 300x4 is only capable of operating at 4ohms.

If you run 90W into a 60W rated speaker it'll be ok most of the time ......until it's not. I wouldn't recommend it, although most of the time, it will be fine. Eventually, there will be one note on one song and your amp will be pushing just the right amount of power and your speakers will be shot!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The PBR 300x4 is only capable of operating at 4ohms.

If you run 90W into a 60W rated speaker it'll be ok most of the time ......until it's not. I wouldn't recommend it, although most of the time, it will be fine. Eventually, there will be one note on one song and your amp will be pushing just the right amount of power and your speakers will be shot!

I had already switched gears from the PBR to a J&M amp (2ohms). lol Damn it I don't wanna take the chance of blowing speakers...this is why packages are a good idea lol

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Looks like I may have settled on this setup...

J&M ROKKER XXR 500w 4-ch Amp Kit
J&M ROKKER XX 6.65" Fairing Speaker Kit
J&M ROKKER XX 6.65" Lower Fairing Speaker kit

$1,139.85

Soundz Customz looks too rich for my blood...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Looks like I may have settled on this setup...

J&M ROKKER XXR 500w 4-ch Amp Kit
J&M ROKKER XX 6.65" Fairing Speaker Kit
J&M ROKKER XX 6.65" Lower Fairing Speaker kit

$1,139.85

Soundz Customz looks too rich for my blood...

You forgot what I told you .... 'DON'T SETTLE'.... but you did....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hey Rock, if you have facebook, get on Harley Bagger Stereo Group. If you tell them you have a budget of $1000, those guys will give you 20 different set ups that are far better than the J&M stuff you're planning on going with. I'm about to put on 4 coax speakers, 2 mid range drivers, two bullet style tweeters and an amp to push it all, for far less than $1000.

Reactions: ! rock103 !

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Listened to alot of video (I know it's not a true representation) but got some idea of the level of sound one can expect, and researching audio components etc. I quickly saw some flaws with the J&M setup. The Arc audio speakers are the bomb from what I've found through researching. Although come at a cost. And the Moto 602s have a lowish RMS rating of 90w though. So concerned since that is lower than most amps out there would recommend. Any thoughts on if they could handle an amp pushing 180w RMS? I'd hate to blow $379/pr ($758/4) speakers! Just got off the phone with Biketronics. So the Arc Moto 602s and the BT 4180-14 amp kit with levelers etc sound like the ticket . BT customer service is AWESOME, lets just say that. :wink: Still not 100% decided, I have time. I may learn something new that sways my decision. But I've been learning a ton thanks to you all and the bounty of info on the internet! lol

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hey Rock, if you have facebook, get on Harley Bagger Stereo Group. If you tell them you have a budget of $1000, those guys will give you 20 different set ups that are far better than the J&M stuff you're planning on going with. I'm about to put on 4 coax speakers, 2 mid range drivers, two bullet style tweeters and an amp to push it all, for far less than $1000.
I'll have to check into them. Getting bit by the audio bug! >:)

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Just got off the phone with Biketronics. So the Arc Moto 602s and the BT 4180-14 amp kit with levelers etc sound like the ticket . BT customer service is AWESOME, lets just say that. :wink: Still not 100% decided, I have time. I may learn something new that sways my decision. But I've been learning a ton thanks to you all and the bounty of info on the internet! lol
That would be a great choice. Much better than anything you have proposed up to this point :)

The Arc audio speakers are the bomb from what I've found through researching. Although come at a cost. And the Moto 602s have a lowish RMS rating of 90w though. So concerned since that is lower than most amps out there would recommend. Any thoughts on if they could handle an amp pushing 180w RMS? I'd hate to blow $379/pr ($758/4) speakers!
The BT AMPs have a fixed gain setting that is already nearly perfectly tuned for the stock HU and whatever speakers you plan on buying from Bill. He wouldn't sell you something that you were going to blow up in a day. Remember that any good speaker worth it's salt is capable of handling transient peak power spikes well above their RMS rating. I think you're losing sleep over nothing :)

Grab the 4-channel BT AMP, the ARC Moto speakers and get that stuff installed! I predict that you'll be very happy.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have seen where a guy bridged a 400w 4-channel amp with a set (2 speakers) of Arc Audio Moto 602s...4ohms BTW >:) Sounds pretty good, even on PC or phone

https://youtu.be/LM1U_5hkRx8
man that sounds good! :p

I also have the BT355 Line Levelers and upped the gain output before the amp (I explained it in the 2016 FLTRXS with ArcAudio MPAC6 thread.

Also, the Rockford Fosgate TM400x4 that I'm using is actually bench tested at 555w so there is actually more than 200w going to the 602's. I saw a guy that's running 300w (the 600.4 bridged!) and he got the ok from Arc before he did it.

The 602's really need power to them, way more than 90w for sure! Lots of folks are running the BT 2180 with great results. I wouldn't run anything less than 150w to them. So if power is an issue you might want to look at some Hertz Millie Pro's.

BTW if your budget allows, some of the best sounding speakers I've heard are the Focal KRC's. Those are amazing and will be my next speakers I think. Very pricey though, but there are deals out there if you dig enough.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
man that sounds good! :p

I also have the BT355 Line Levelers and upped the gain output before the amp (I explained it in the 2016 FLTRXS with ArcAudio MPAC6 thread.

Also, the Rockford Fosgate TM400x4 that I'm using is actually bench tested at 555w so there is actually more than 200w going to the 602's. I saw a guy that's running 300w (the 600.4 bridged!) and he got the ok from Arc before he did it.

The 602's really need power to them, way more than 90w for sure! Lots of folks are running the BT 2180 with great results. I wouldn't run anything less than 150w to them. So if power is an issue you might want to look at some Hertz Millie Pro's.

BTW if your budget allows, some of the best sounding speakers I've heard are the Focal KRC's. Those are amazing and will be my next speakers I think. Very pricey though, but there are deals out there if you dig enough.
Great info! Thanx

21 - 40 of 54 Posts