Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about hooking up my stock 2 ohm speakers to my kenwood knew 555u head unit which is 4 ohms. The H/U keeps going into protect mode and my stereo shop says it a bad speaker so I was going to try the stock speakers to test that theory.
So is there any problems going from 4 ohms to 2.
Thanks in advance for any help.

· Registered
10,584 Posts
I have a question about hooking up my stock 2 ohm speakers to my kenwood knew 555u head unit which is 4 ohms. The H/U keeps going into protect mode and my stereo shop says it a bad speaker so I was going to try the stock speakers to test that theory.
So is there any problems going from 4 ohms to 2.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Your over taxing the amp in your HU by running 4ohm HU into 2ohm speakers.. You can't go lower, but you can go into higher rated ohm speakers, it just won't be as efficient.
You can always add a pair of speakers and hook them up in series with the ones you have.

· Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that something that can cause any permanent damage to the H/U? I'm thinking of doing this for a week to see if my speakers that I have are bad or if it may be the H/U. I have a Hawg Wired amp and speakers and don't really think that's the problem but hooking up my stock speakers is the only way I can think of to test things. If the speakers are the problem though I would hate to fry the H/U.

· Registered
10,584 Posts
Is that something that can cause any permanent damage to the H/U? I'm thinking of doing this for a week to see if my speakers that I have are bad or if it may be the H/U. I have a Hawg Wired amp and speakers and don't really think that's the problem but hooking up my stock speakers is the only way I can think of to test things. If the speakers are the problem though I would hate to fry the H/U.
Okay, I didn't know you were running a separate amp. Is the HW amp 2ohm ? If so , your good with 2 ohm speakers. Your oem speakers should be 2 ohm.
How is your HU connected to the amp , high level or cables ?
Running any amp into lower rated ohm speakers isn't good or advised. Most amps will have a protection mode, but your still rolling the dice.

· Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The amp is 4 ohm also. I was hoping to hook up a different set of speakers to get an idea of where my problem is but it sounds like using the oem speakers is a bad idea. Thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.