Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, I have been shopping for detach gear and saw that there is a glut of Chinese knock off gear out there, as I looked around it seemed as if, since its just some bent up metal and hardware, that maybe I would go that route. the black 4 point at the dealer was $160 ish. anyway I saw this one on ebay used and its in good condition. what caught my eye was also the magnetic doo-hickeys are included.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291251471043?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I already have it and im happy with it, but im curious if its HD brand or not? there are no markings, the quality seems fine. :confused:

I also have a black Motherwell TP rack coming to round it out....:D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
With all of the knock-off parts available I refuse to buy some parts used anymore. Docking hardware and sissy bars are something I would not want to risk buying a knock-off of and have a piece break off or a shotty weld snap and lose a tour pak. Or worse my passenger. I used to not worry about buying used. Anymore you just don't know exactly what you are getting. Very easy to pass off a used knock-off as a used HD part.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont necessarily disagree with that viewpoint, after looking around and considering what was available I pulled the trigger on this ebay one.

My question, sort of after the fact, is about what markings if any the HD branded one might have. Nothing on this one...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I dont necessarily disagree with that viewpoint, after looking around and considering what was available I pulled the trigger on this ebay one.

My question, sort of after the fact, is about what markings if any the HD branded one might have. Nothing on this one...
There is really nothing on the docking hardware that distinguishes them as HD. No markings or anything. I bought a used set of black docking hardware for my RK and I think they may have been knock-offs because the coating was not very good quality. Had some pitting.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Be aware of eBay knock off parts quality... Bargain prices at sacrifice.
Bough detachable rack look good but didn't line up on the mounting points.
Not saying all have issues just passing forward my experience.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Knock offs. Wake up...its all made in Taiwan or China in the first place. Some stuff fits better than others.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sad but true almost half the parts are made in china or else where outside of America.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts