Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't buy shocks that often hopefully just this once for this bike. I'm wondering if spending $200 more is worth it for the 940's. Maybe the ride will be better and justify the extra. Need to hear from some of you.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I don't buy shocks that often hopefully just this once for this bike. I'm wondering if spending $200 more is worth it for the 940's. Maybe the ride will be better and justify the extra. Need to hear from some of you.

Thanks
the 940's can be had for 459.99 shipped via usmotoman.com you have to ask for that price. I would not consider the 412's but the 440's are nice too. I have had both the 440's and now the 940's. 940's are stiff unless you are a heavy weight. I am ~210 and too stiff for me solo on my rgu. I liked the 440's standard springs on my EGC better.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does everyone else think the 940's are too stiff?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes there a stiff shock. I like the stiffess because it feels like a sport bike. I also have the mono-tube in the front.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they don't bottom out do they? I weigh 190, the wife 150, just wondering. I too like a stiff ride. I feel it has alittle more control.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes if that is what you are looking for. I'm a hard rider. This is my first touring bike so, I still have it in me. I have a 83 FX 97" Shovelhead opening beltdrive.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
there is a pretty big difference in the two

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
they don't bottom out do they? I weigh 190, the wife 150, just wondering. I too like a stiff ride. I feel it has alittle more control.
I have not had them bottom out. I am also from a sport bike background and have done some track days on harleys. Stiffer does not mean faster the fastest way around the track is with a properly set up suspension.

·
Registered
720 Posts
the 940's can be had for 459.99 shipped via usmotoman.com you have to ask for that price. I would not consider the 412's but the 440's are nice too. I have had both the 440's and now the 940's. 940's are stiff unless you are a heavy weight. I am ~210 and too stiff for me solo on my rgu. I liked the 440's standard springs on my EGC better.
who or what must be asked (discount-wise) to get that price?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
who or what must be asked (discount-wise) to get that price?
As far as I know a simple "I heard if I asked I could get the 940's for 459.99 shipped" LOL It has worked for everybody that has done it me included, I think I was the first tho. I emailed them when I did it. my reciept shows that the order was taken by Sheila. there wa also a note in my package telling me to email [email protected]ect for the best deals.

·
Registered
720 Posts
As far as I know a simple "I heard if I asked I could get the 940's for 459.99 shipped" LOL It has worked for everybody that has done it me included, I think I was the first tho. I emailed them when I did it. my reciept shows that the order was taken by Sheila. there wa also a note in my package telling me to email [email protected]ect for the best deals.
Okay, thanks I will give it a try. Happy New Year!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Call Progressive

I called progressive, asked them a few questions, they asked me a few questions, and I went on ebay to purchase 940's for the RG. Have the 440s on a dyna, like them both very much.

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Cool, thanks for the input.
I just got a set at from US Motoman for the low price, On his website they are listed higher, either but from the E Bay Store at 499.00 (last week they were listed at 479.00) or call and you should be able to get them at 459.00.

Put mine on 4 days ago and have about 300 miles on them, Im 205 lbs and ride solo with 1/2 loaded saddle bags and IMO they are stiff. Still a better ride than the HD shocks , hands down but IMO to get the most out of them they need the lighter springs for me. I can only get about 1.25" sag with them and the install instructions say to be close to 2". I dont see any main spring movement. Ill be sending them to Progressive to get the 95-130 springs instead of the 115-155 that they come with. Already talked to Tech at progressive and they were very helpful.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Do they make differ size spring for 940 ? I read the stock 940's spring are 150-270.
that spring rate would be incredibly stiff on a motorcycle. I think what you read is the shock is for people who are between 150 and 270lb. I think progressive needs to offer them in standard and heavy weight as that is too much weight variation

·
Registered
614 Posts
Do they make differ size spring for 940 ? I read the stock 940's spring are 150-270.
The stock springs are 115-155 they are the same a the springs on the 12" 440HD shocks

IMO they are set up for riders over 225 with luggage or over 250 or for 2 up

I now have he lighter springs and the shocks are great. Super smooth good amount of travel. I have them adjusted to about 1.5-1.75 sag and they have not bottomed and are very sure feeling when pushing it in the high speed canyons and smooth out the potholes at low speed.

Big thanks to Progressive Tech support was great especially thanks to Frank. I'm looking forward to installing my free set of springs that I have coming from there free springs offer

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can you order them with the lighter springs? Or do you have to order them, and then get the lighter springs?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts