Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gathering up parts to do a mild 103" build on my bike which is currently a stock 96". Got stock 103" cylinders with SE flat tops (number on pistons is 21989-07), dragula 2-1 exhaust and stage 1 intake. Using .030" head gaskets if I go with 54H to make up for .020 smaller base circle. Which cam will work better with the parts I have? Looking for good low-mid power.
Thanks

·
Registered
828 Posts
I just had 48H installed on a 103 with stage 1. Stock heads, stock gasket. 95hp/118TQ. The 48 like less than 10:1 compression. 54 like higher compression and big cubes.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Really depends on what kind of rider you are. If you're more of a slow and steady type that rarely turns the motor over 3500-4000 rpm and gets into high gear ASAP, I'd say go with the 48.
If you're one that's not afraid to crank 'er up a bit and would rather run in 4th or 5th gear as long as you're under 70mph, go with the 54, but make sure you do the math and set up the heads to get back up to 190+psi cranking compression.

I'd go with the .030" gaskets either way as long as the deck height at or below zero.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like having lowend TQ, don't spool it up past 4500-5000 often. Another question is what compression ratio will I be at with the .030 gaskets? From what I've read it should be around 9.8:1 correct? Stock 96" is 9.2, with stock heads and 103 BB it should be 9.6:1 and with .030 hg 9:8:1 I think?
Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
103 is 9.6:1 if you use a .30 headgaskets it will bump the compression uo to 10.1: 1. I ran woods 222's for a little bit and loved the torque but the power fell like a rock @3800 rpm. I swapped them for 555's with .030 headgaskets. I liked it a lot more. I had this set up in my street glide. I pulled them out when I traded it in for my rg. I haven't decided if I'm going back with the 555's yet. I might try the 57's

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Part of the reason I was going to use the .030 gasket is to make up for the .020 smaller base circle of the 54H. Im also getting some minor porting done as well.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Want it all from bottom to top?
Install a .030" head gasket and a set of S&S .570's.
With the base circle of that cam, no need for adj. pushrods(unless for ease of install).:)
Scott

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I have not pulled the trigger on cams yet. I am not interested in putting comp releases in this thing so I will probably stick with .045 headgaskets (9.7-9.8ish:1). Should I still stick with the 54H or possibly go for 57H? Or will the S&S 570's work ok with the little lower CR?
Thanks for the help all
Andy

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Just my opinion, but you should seriously rethink not adding compression releases. While you have heads off it's the time to do it. With the bigger cubes you are going to be more likely to need them. Manual releases are fairly cheap insurance.

The day you stop for gas after heat soaking the heads on the highway and hit that starter and it kicks back, you'll be kickin yourself.

I'd guess $150 for the releases and machine work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your probably right rageglide, just trying to save a little but the more I read the more it looks like the right thing to do. I just found a set of new acr's from a buddy pretty much free so I guess I will go that route and stick with the 54H's.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...and leave other issues for the consumer to resolve! :D Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
When did the moco add acr's to the 103's? A friend of mine has a 2012 rg with a 103 and it does not have them. I thought they were only on the cvo 110's.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The way harley implemented them is slick as hell, I'm sure most owners won't know they're there unless they paid attention to the sales guy. Plus they vent into the exhaust port so you won't hear them either.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
The way harley implemented them is slick as hell, I'm sure most owners won't know they're there unless they paid attention to the sales guy. Plus they vent into the exhaust port so you won't hear them either.
Good deal. Looks like I need to pick up a set of used 103 heads.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone know of a resonable place to do machining? I live in south central WI. Was quoted $200 at a couple places.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts