Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, getting set for solo 5,000 mile run from Dover, DE to Phoenix, AZ and back. What's worthwhile for motel discounts and road assistance? AAA, AARP, Harley HOG membership? I'll know each nite about how far I'll ride the next day (500-600 mi., weather permitting), so I can book 1 nite early with laptop/cellphone. All input appreciated.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I've been researching roadside assistance plans recently as my hog membership ends this month, but I'm still unsure. Im leaning towards AMA and the Hog upgrade thru Road America. AAA & Good Sam are more expensive. The only negative I found about AMA was the towing is only covered up to 35 miles, but it covers all your vehicles not just the bike as does AAA and Good Sam. AAA members get hotel discounts too, I think some of the others did as well, but I forget which ones. Best Western is known to be motorcycle friendly.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
In my travels I've gotten AAA discounts without being a member. They ask, I say I don't have a card and they give the discount anyway.

Sometimes good old negotiating works well too.
"What's the best rate you can give me for a room that otherwise is gonna be empty tonight?"

I've generally enjoyed my trips better when I don't have reservations in advance. Free to stop when it looks and feels like it each day.

·
Registered
235 Posts
In my travels I've gotten AAA discounts without being a member. They ask, I say I don't have a card and they give the discount anyway.

Sometimes good old negotiating works well too.
"What's the best rate you can give me for a room that otherwise is gonna be empty tonight?"

I've generally enjoyed my trips better when I don't have reservations in advance. Free to stop when it looks and feels like it each day.
plus 1. on that works every time I will admit to staying in a hampton inn when its been a long trip.Pricey but good beds and clean also usualy close to a place that has food and beer so can walk ther and stagger back L.O.L

·
Registered
372 Posts
+1 on what pargenz mentioned.

Unless you've been in the area where you will be booking in advance, I feel its better to just ride until you're in a part of town you feel comfortable to say in..

ON a couple of occasions, I have planned my trip too well by booking in advance my stays in towns I've never been in.. and find out too late that the hotel is in an area where I normally would not even stop for gas.! ...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Initially I thought, "That Continental Divide Scenic Trail looks spectacular."....wait a minute....ain't the continental divide, by definition, high elevation?....ain't that cooollldd???.....don't that mean early ice storms??? WTF wuz I thinking???...I ain't going there in October!...I'm gonna hafta take my chances cruisin' thru the East St. Louis gangs, crazy cowboys of Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle, and the queer art colony people of New Mexico! Ya'll pray for me! :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Everything good, got started early, did 265 mi. ahead of time. I'm in Best Western, Cumberland MD. $70 room with HD discount (includes full breakfast)-did an upgrade on room to get clean shot at anyone who messes with bike. This place is NICE! indoor swimming pool-food/bar right here, Highland HD dealership right across street. Nice place-put this one on the GOTO list.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: West Virginia mountains low 40's this a.m.--damp and bone-chilling fog first several hours--then it warmed up and everything back to wonderful. Rode 600 miles to Evansville, Indiana Best Western. Not scenic surroundings, no restaurant, bar closed on Sunday. OK motel, just nothing special.

·
Registered
218 Posts
outcast1
I'm planning a trip from Ottawa, Canada to Phoenix in mid October. I'm a member of AARP and use them for hotel discounts. AARP also have an arrangement with Expedia Travel and there is an additional discount going through them via the AARP website.
I also found some good deals using Hotels.com. Worth checking out.
I purchased the roadside assistance thru HOG, should I need it.
Safe trip to PHX and hope the weather is on your side.
Mike

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: Dodged a major weather system today. 80% chance of rain when I left Evansville, IN--but only 30% in St. Louis 150 miles west. Left early-stayed dry-blue skies by afternoon. Did 550 miles to Tulsa, OK.

I'm in Trade Winds Best Western in Tulsa-can't recommend it. Cheap rate ($56)-not much else good to say.

Pearsom, thanx for the input. Many motels give senior discount whether you're member of AARP or not. I checked on-line before leaving-decided not to book anything in advance because of not knowing exactly where I would end each day, some have punitive refund policy if you don't cancel early enough.

·
Registered
528 Posts
At the Holiday Inn Express, at a certain time in the evening, they drop their prices to a walk-in discount of some sorts. Maybe ask them as I don't remember and I aint near one. Also, sometimes will make a reservation in advance to be assured of a room, but not tell who we are when we arrive and ask for the price. If it is lower we do paper work and then "oh by the way we had a reservation that needs to be cancelled now" Your guaranteed a room and may get a cheaper price..

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: Picture perfect day today to ride across OKlahoma and Texas panhandle. I rode 550 miles to Best Western Santa Rosa Inn in New Mexico. The rate is reasonable ($69), setting is very scenic, next door to Denny's, everything looks new and immaculate. I highly recommend this one.

Also, can't say enough about the quality of Saddlemen luggage for solo touring. Large spacious bag with rounded back fits right into passenger seat (also provides nice backrest), and small round overnite bag simply clips on top in four places. Well designed with clips, straps, lotsa little pockets (several even insulated.)

Thanx Chico, that sounds like it's worth a try.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Sounds like you're having a great ride outcast!

Yeah, that Saddlemen bag is great - I have the same one. Holds a ton and takes all of 10 seconds to put on or take off the scoot.

Santa Rosa... you must be coming across I-40. Not my favorite route across NM (too much truck traffic).

Once you get into AZ, I'd suggest getting off I-40 at Holbrook onto 77 (exit #286) and head south to 377 (Heber Rd). Staying on 77 would head you toward Snowflake. Take 377 south to 277 and into Heber-Overgaard. Then take 260 west over to Payson. Beautiful countryside. In Payson take 87 south down into the metro Phoenix area.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did take the Holbrook exit (Friends in AZ also recommended,) and it was a scenic ride as well as saving some miles.

At the risk of sounding like a shill for New Mexico Tourism Board, most of the state of New Mexico across I-40 looks like most of us would call a scenic overlook. Panoramic 360-degree views from the crest of every hill. If you haven't travelled across the American West, you probably don't have a firm grasp on what the term "wide open spaces" really means.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts