Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had dealer do the 1,000 mile service. They say that the 5,000 mile service they touch every bolt on the bike..Is this true ? Do you change all three oils every 5,000 miles. If its just a engine oil and plugs, i can do that. What do you guys do?

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I have the same question. I'm just about to reach the 5000 mile mark and trying to decide if its worth the money, because the 1000 mile service sure wasnt.

·
Registered
525 Posts
IMO,the 1,000 mile service is just to make sure the factory put the bike together the right way(nothing obvious fell off did it?). :)

5,000 is where they really start and get them torqued correctly,and make sure things are right.

I just had the 20k on my 09, and a new rear tire, and had them change out the fork oil to the SE version. Just got back from a 1,200 mile shake down cruise yesterday,and it rides much smoother and quieter.

I also did the Red Line in the tranny and Mobile One V-Twin 20-50in the engine and primary.

BIG difference in tranny operation. I'm sold on the redline Tranny oil.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Just had mine done, they do go over the whole bike and I believe it's required for a valid warranty--yes all oils are changed. Though I even like to change mine every 3,000 depending on the length of time between changes :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm gonna go the other way.

To start with,........if it's required to maintain the warranty then they HAVE to do it for free. That's the law ! So no it's not required.

It's nothing but an oil change with a lookie see. Change your own oil's and check your own stuff and save the money. Keep a folder of all the maintenance that you do and save your receipts. Just run through the 5K checklist and throw your initials next to each item to make it look official.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Had dealer do the 1,000 mile service. They say that the 5,000 mile service they touch every bolt on the bike..Is this true ? Do you change all three oils every 5,000 miles. If its just a engine oil and plugs, i can do that. What do you guys do?
What I do is "WAIT" for something I think needs adjusted, then I take it in. It depends on "HOW YOU RIDE"! Yeh, everybody rides different. If your not having any "MAJOR ISSUES" w/anything, change your fluids yourself. Motor,Trans,and Primary. Then ride and see if you can tell a difference in,Sound and Performance. They do grease alot of things, steering head, floorboards, clutch cable, but if your not out popn the clutch at every stop light, and are using common sence, your gonna get the most out of what they do, IF THEY DO IT RITE!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
It's nothing but an oil change with a lookie see.

Change your own oil's and check your own stuff and save the money.

+1

My best friend used to be a mechanic at a Harley Dealership. He told me that most mechanics do a half ass job on everything. The faster they can finish a job, the more jobs they can do in a day. They charge us 4 hours labor for a job they can finish in 45 minutes. They gloss over many things since they are routine and usually don't require much attention until there's a problem. In my case, I've had my bike since 07 and it's never been in the shop. I do it all myself and with help from people who know more then me.

·
Registered
11 Posts

:cool: I bought the Service Manual for my Wide Glide, no problems. Just got the Service Manual for my RG. Again, no problems. I must agree with what was stated earlier; if it looks wrong, sounds bad, smells bad, it might be bad/wrong. Although the manual is descriptive it can throw one off at times. I myself choose to run AmsOil in all three. Tranny gets the Severe Gear 75/90. Quiet and smooth........
The other thing is this, get to know a tech or two at the dealer. Take them lunch and listen to them talk......
Tim

·
Administrator
10,405 Posts
I've always done all my maintenance since waaayyy back , with this Roadie , I ordered the Ultra Tour Pak , and it showed up just as my 1k service was due , so I had them go ahead and do a 1k service ..

For $300 I got all three holes oil changed , the clutch adjusted , and the bike washed .. There was a few small things I noted that needed fixing or adjusting , that were pretty obvious , if they were doing what they were sposed to do ..

Looked the bike over .. Went and got the GM , told him I wanted to show him something .. He came back with me ..

Asked the service writer who did the service on the bike , he told me , I said lemme see him , guy came out and I asked him if he did the 1k service on my bike , he said yep , then I pointed out the things that I knew about , and told him he forgot those things .. Told the GM my bike wud never be in his service dept again and walked out ..

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I always buy the service manual and the parts manual as the very first accessory for every bike I have ever owned, HD or non-HD.

The HD manuals are especially well written, are easy to follow with diagrams and photos where needed. In the front of them is a check list for all the services required, and at what interval. This matrix references a page or section number for detailed instructions, if you need them.

Having done all my services, it's somewhat shocking what my dealer charges for what amounts to very little work. Even the 20K service only takes 3-4 hours, and that's with me carefully reading, double checking and turning the wrenches.

Also, I've watched our three HD Certified mechanics do the service on my work bike. A 5K is 20 minutes and a 20K service is about an hour. I've asked them if they did more when working at a dealership, and they said they actually did less, as we beat the bikes a lot harder than the average rider does.

I mentioned that paying $600+ for a service at a dealership seems like kind of a rip off. He chuckled, and wholeheartedly agreed...

To top it off, the newer bikes have less service required. No more primary chain adjustment, cam followers last much longer, no throttle cables to lube or adjust, etc...

·
Registered
998 Posts
Wow, 600+ for a 5K service. The dealership I go to its $185 for a 5k. They call it a 2 hour job and change all three holes. I think its like $100 more for what they call a 10k. Not sure what all they do extra but after hearing this I'm gonna quit my whinning when I go in there.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I take mine in once a year to have them do either a 5k or a 10k. Usually do a 10k every other year. I do the engine oil myself every 3k.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
:cool: I bought the Service Manual for my Wide Glide, no problems. Just got the Service Manual for my RG. Again, no problems. I must agree with what was stated earlier; if it looks wrong, sounds bad, smells bad, it might be bad/wrong. Although the manual is descriptive it can throw one off at times. I myself choose to run AmsOil in all three. Tranny gets the Severe Gear 75/90. Quiet and smooth........
The other thing is this, get to know a tech or two at the dealer. Take them lunch and listen to them talk......
Tim
I've gotta comment on your last 2 sentences,... Long story short! Met this Guy in 1987. Didnt no it but used to be a 1%. Iron Horseman. Rode from Ohio to California and back w/him. Got to be pretty good buddies! Lost his job (QIUT)! in 92 or 93. Rejoined the Horseman and became El-President-A. Became a H.D. Tech. I was a Milkman (WIC) for a local Dairy. Up at 3:30 am and usually, on the average done around 1 pm. Would go to the Harley Shop after work, get him and off to the Bar we went. 3 or 4 Beers apc., 1/2 dozen Shots a pc. and back to work he went and Home for me! Get to know youe SERVICE TECH! You would be AMAZED! LOL! LOL! The Manager saw me pull up and "HATED IT"! LOL! But, I new the Manager longer than the my bud in the Back! LOL! He (manager) new we gonna go get "TORN OUT THE FRAME" LOL! LOL!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
+1 on getting to know a tech or two. They can make some of the best of friends, and usually don't mind helping you out at home on a project or two for some beers!! As far as the service at the dealership goes, than can be hit or miss. It seems that there is a wide range on what they charge for services! I would recommend that if you go to a dealership have the same tech work on your bike everytime. (this goes back to getting to know some of the guys in back!) First off if you do get to know the tech, he will figure out your riding style and can pay closer attention to the things that could be affected by your riding habits, if you go somewhere else for service, make sure that you know and trust the guy! Anybody can say that they can work on a bike, but youu are the one who has to ride it! If you do the service yourself, I would really get the service manual. Some dealerships might even offer a pre-paid maintence plan. My local dealer does, and I thought it was well worth the price knowing that for the next 4 years, my maintence is covered

·
Registered
250 Posts
The Harley motors are a basic design. Not much to them. Just change your oils, and lube the cable's and things will be what they are. I put over 20,000 on my Softail FXSTC and over 37,000 miles on my Electra Glide and alls I did was change the oils, lube the cables, adjusted the primary chain once and added tires. That's it !

The Electra Glide saw the inside of a Dealer one time (Wheel bearing came apart on a x-country trip), and the dumbass that worked on my bike in Dayton Ohio (THAT 1 TIME) could have killed me because he put my back wheel together screwed up. The adjusting plate was not flush with the swing arm, but instead was on a 45 degree angle. That right there is the reason why I wont let these $15.00 an hour hackers work on my bike. Only you will make sure it gets done right !

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The Harley motors are a basic design. Not much to them. Just change your oils, and lube the cable's and things will be what they are. I put over 20,000 on my Softail FXSTC and over 37,000 miles on my Electra Glide and alls I did was change the oils, lube the cables, adjusted the primary chain once and added tires. That's it !
+1
My best friend used to be a mechanic at a Harley Dealership. He told me that most mechanics do a half ass job on everything. The faster they can finish a job, the more jobs they can do in a day. They charge us 4 hours labor for a job they can finish in 45 minutes. They gloss over many things since they are routine and usually don't require much attention until there's a problem.
Sorry for quoting myself but xusnatc has just illustrated my earlier remark. The dealerships are a business. Their mechanics are expected to get through a job as fast as possible. If you bring your bike in for service, for example, and the mechanic doesn't think your clutch needs adjustment, he'll skip it. I see bikes for sale on ebay that say "Dealer Serviced and Maintained". Those are the bikes I avoid. I'd rather have a bike that was worked on by the owner then a half assed job by a mechanic at a dealership. Why would you pay someone else to fuck up your bike when you can do it yourself? I have basically no mechanical skills but I've always done my own work. Changing your oil, a tire or breaks is easy and only takes about 1/2 hour. Buy the service manual and take your time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts