Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Riding across America is the dream of many motorcyclists. The notion of traversing the U.S.A. on two wheels has a certain romantic aspect; 4000 miles unspooling before you like reels of an old, epic film. A lone rider and his/her machine, dusty and stoic, sharing tales of the road with strangers at every stop but never lingering in one place for more than a meal or a night’s sleep.

Unlike some things in life, the dream is not let down by the reality of actually doing it. Every ride across America is special – I’ve done it four times, and each trip provided unforgettable moments, the types of peak experiences we all long for when we get on a motorcycle. Still, there’s a lot to consider when planning a coast to coast trip: Do you use your own bike or rent one? How will you get your motorcycle back home when the ride’s done? What are the essential items to bring? How much time should you allocate, and what route should you take?
Read more about 50 Tips For Riding A Motorcycle Across America at Motorcycle.com.

·
Administrator
11,404 Posts
Some good tips and ideas , and I have used most of them ..

As for camping everyone is different , I disagree with his reasons for not camping , but agree a bed after a day riding is better , specially if it is a long trip ...

Agree interstates suck , but for those with limited time off , sometimes it makes sense to cross the country to where you want to be on them ..

We made a short trip last year that takes 7 hours on the interstate , and did it all back roads , and took 11 hours , we killed some time at a Harley dealer visiting an old friend and killed time elsewhere , the ride was much more enjoyable and we were less tired when we got to our destination ..

Just follow his first tip and pack light

JtB

·
Registered
38 Posts
Camping is great, however it does require stopping earlier than for a motel. Not a fan of setting up in the dark. I'm good for about 7 days in a tent, then I need a king size bed and or a hot tub.

Totally agree about finding the right partner too. I've dumped friends after a trip.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I hate trying to camp on a trip. It seems like stuff gets wet the first few days and you have to deal with it the rest of the trip. I don't mind it at Sturgis where you are staying in the same place for a few days. To me, the cost of a hotel is worth it. I rode all over the country and I like to go by myself. It is nice to be able to do whatever I want whenever I want. I used to have one guy I rode with but we kinda went on our own and met up later. He is no longer with us so I go with the wife. I can't imagine trying to ride across country with anybody else. I like to do what I want. Now that I am married, I spend a little more on hotels but when I was single I'd find the cheapest flophouse I could. It didn't matter to me.
Later,
Ray

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for posting this. This is very good info. I am planning my 2nd trip this June. My wife and I rode From Virginia to California to Virginia in 2013 (over 7000 miles) and are doing it again this year. She rides a 2012 FLSTN and I have a 2012 FLTRX. We are planning 4 weeks this year because 3 weeks just wasn't enough to see everything in 2013..

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks for the link some good info, and some I disagree with.
two more I would add.....

1) Try to avoid making hotel reservations in advance. It puts stress on the days ride that you just don't need or want. It's not fun to be watching the clock trying to make it to point "B" by a certain time. Better to be watching the road and the scenery. Not having reservations allows for, breakdowns, sight seeing or last minute detours and route changes.

2) When you do decide to stop for the day, don't stop at the first decent motel or campground you spot. Ride the town and find the one you like best. It never fails that if you pick the first decent place on the way into town, you'll see a better place the next morning on the way out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts