Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys newbie to the site here. The answer to my question might be out there some where but I have not found it yet. I just traded for a 2017 road glide Ultra and want to get some more noise out of front speakers (hearing not so good and like to share). If I go after market speakers and amp does the 6.5 infotainment system still need to be flashed to make it sound good? I am not the loudest speaker in the box but I have dealt with my share of stereo systems before. with after market speakers and amp all you are doing is boosting the signal that the radio is already putting out. Simply put. Thanks for any help you guys have.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The easy answer is no. If you are only looking to add an amp and two new speakers in place of the factory speakers in your fairing I would do the following:

1) Research and buy your favorite amp
2) Research and buy your favorite marine grade speakers
3) Contact Biketronics and buy their Line Leveler

The BT Line Leveler will take the speaker line output and strip it down to a clean input signal to provide to the amp. The amp will then amplify a cleaner signal and feed the speakers. This way the amp is not amplifying any noise the 6.5 Infotainment system is putting out.

Follow the directions for the amp installation. Take the two speaker outputs from the head unit into the BT Line Leveler. From the Line Leveler into the amplifier. From the amplifier into the new speakers. The Head unit will be none the wiser. Things get a little more complicated when you add more speakers but not exponentially.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Cander is pointing you in the right direction. However, you don't necessarily need to restrict your speaker search to marine grade only. If you're going to constantly ride in rain storms then the marine grade speakers might be a good investment. Many riders (myself included) didn't go the marine grade speaker route and have systems that are still running perfect here two years later.

I occasionally wash my bike at the car wash, and have been caught out in the rain numerous times and my fairly inexpensive Kappa's are still kicking. Of course you don't want untreated paper cone speakers, but there are plenty of non-marine options out there that will hold up pretty well even if they aren't marine rated.

Next thing to do is set a budget, and then determine whether you want a plug and play kit available from some of the vendors highly recommended around here, or whether you want to piece something together yourself.

When I did my audio upgrade no one besides J&M was offering a "kit" for the new Rushmore RGs so I pieced together my own system using components I chose myself. But now there are many plug and play options available if you want to go that route.

The OEM Harley HK units (4.3 and 6.5) are perfectly fine for using as the original source. A good AMP, speakers and BT355 line leveler will yield a system that most everyone can be happy with and worlds apart from how the bike sounds coming out of the factory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys. I love these forums because people are so knowledgeable and willing to share that knowledge. I had a system on my 2011 ultra limited that worked great and wanted to put it on this bike. Just did not know if it would work on this one with the infotainment system. Thanks for all the help and I will add the BT line leveler to this system.

By the way my speakers at the end were not marine grade and had them for 4 years before trading bike.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I run a flash...i have been told BT line levelers are the way to go if you cant get a proper flash done.

My flash is 2 amp ON/8 speaker ON ... supposedly the flattest EQ curve tested... ran this flash on my 14SGS and now 15 RGS with a high end 6 Speaker system from Soundz Customz. It will hurt your ears... no joke.

Some d ont like this flash since you have no FADER control, but a properly tuned system doesn't require you to fade your system

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I dont really need the fader...but who does the flash then? Soundz? My understanding that HD dealers dont anymore

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I dont really need the fader...but who does the flash then? Soundz? My understanding that HD dealers dont anymore
Soundz Customz has a SCAN TOOL to configure the flash...as well as some aftermarket audio shops.

Problem is... finding a shop near you WITH a scan tool to do the correct flash on your head unit.

I had both of mine done at the dealer prior to 86ing the dealer's abilities to do so

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 8 speaker 2 amp flash is the best one. You need to find an independent shop with a Techno Research tool that can flash it for you. Otherwise a Biketronics Line leveler is your best option.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The easy answer is no. If you are only looking to add an amp and two new speakers in place of the factory speakers in your fairing I would do the following:

1) Research and buy your favorite amp
2) Research and buy your favorite marine grade speakers
3) Contact Biketronics and buy their Line Leveler

The BT Line Leveler will take the speaker line output and strip it down to a clean input signal to provide to the amp. The amp will then amplify a cleaner signal and feed the speakers. This way the amp is not amplifying any noise the 6.5 Infotainment system is putting out.

Follow the directions for the amp installation. Take the two speaker outputs from the head unit into the BT Line Leveler. From the Line Leveler into the amplifier. From the amplifier into the new speakers. The Head unit will be none the wiser. Things get a little more complicated when you add more speakers but not exponentially.
awesome info.....
could you do a little write up for a 4 speaker set-up ?
also, It looks like the Rockford Fosgate RF-HLC is the same as the BT line leveler at 1/3 the price .

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Cander is pointing you in the right direction. However, you don't necessarily need to restrict your speaker search to marine grade only. If you're going to constantly ride in rain storms then the marine grade speakers might be a good investment. Many riders (myself included) didn't go the marine grade speaker route and have systems that are still running perfect here two years later.

I occasionally wash my bike at the car wash, and have been caught out in the rain numerous times and my fairly inexpensive Kappa's are still kicking. Of course you don't want untreated paper cone speakers, but there are plenty of non-marine options out there that will hold up pretty well even if they aren't marine rated.

Next thing to do is set a budget, and then determine whether you want a plug and play kit available from some of the vendors highly recommended around here, or whether you want to piece something together yourself.

When I did my audio upgrade no one besides J&M was offering a "kit" for the new Rushmore RGs so I pieced together my own system using components I chose myself. But now there are many plug and play options available if you want to go that route.

The OEM Harley HK units (4.3 and 6.5) are perfectly fine for using as the original source. A good AMP, speakers and BT355 line leveler will yield a system that most everyone can be happy with and worlds apart from how the bike sounds coming out of the factory.
I totally agree. When we were big into the boat and poker run thing I was constantly buying Marine grade radios and speakers. Pretty much got tired of the limited quantity and quality so I started buying what I wanted and didn't worry about the marine grade stuff. I got the same amount of life out of the good quality audio stuff and better sound.

I just blew a speaker yesterday and put some Focals in it. They sound good but need to be broke in. They also need a little more wattage so I see an amp in my near future...

·
Registered
260 Posts
awesome info.....
could you do a little write up for a 4 speaker set-up ?
also, It looks like the Rockford Fosgate RF-HLC is the same as the BT line leveler at 1/3 the price .
Smoke-

I will try. These are details for what I did to my 2016 RGS.

1) Speakers - Polk MM651 (2 pair)
2) Amp - Soundstream ST 4.1000D
3) Biketronics BT-355 Line leveler
4) Biketronics Amp fairing mount
5) Factory lowers with speaker pods

The Polk MM651s come with an equalizer unit for each speaker that separates the highs and mods to feed the tweeter and the woofer cone respectively.

Follow H-D Service Manual for instructions on fairing removal and main fuse removal. Remove fuel tank; four T40 screws. Remove headlight

Install the Biketronics Amplifier mount with the Soundstream amp mounted. I believe I used heavy duty Velcro to mount the amp to the BT amp mount. The mount is actually designed for BTs amp. I took the lazy route and decided not to fabricate my own mount. It was pricey, but it did save me a fair bit of time and it looks pretty nice. Not that you will ever see it inside the fairing. Determine an adequate place to install the Biketronics line Leveler.

I ran the power wire for the amp through the fairing down the wire trough below the fuel tank and connected to a fuseable link and then to the positive terminal on the battery.

The factory speaker wires then connect to the BT-355. From the BT-355 connect to the amplifier. The amplifier will let you split the two inputs into four outputs. Those four speaker outputs from the amp go to the input side of the equalizer for each speaker. The output side of the equalizer module has two pairs of wires, one goes to the tweeter and the other goes to the woofer.

The Polk MM651 are a direct replacement for the factory speakers. Nothing needed to make them fit or work. I did separate the black plastic speaker enclosures in the fairing and seal them with a think line of black RTV sealant. I don’t recall putting RTV sealant on the back of the speaker during install though.

Once the speakers are connected take some time to tune the amplifier. I used my iPhone as the sound source. I turned the volume on the phone to just below max (2 steps down). Then I turned the bike stereo volume to 50% and started adjusting from there. The Soundstream manual was pretty clear on tuning. I think I ended up near 75% on the amplifier. This gives me clear audio at almost full volume. I rarely need to turn the volume up past 75%.

I think I mentioned everything. Let me know if you have any specific questions or if I left something out.

-c

·
Registered
112 Posts
thanks man !
I'm familiar with the Polk MM series.
I built a center console in my truck and used the 6.5" and 6x9's... They ROCK
I used a solobaric L7 10" facing down in the bottom of the console.
component speakers are the way to go

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts