Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 Polk DXI650's that I purchased on sale. I wasnt sure about the pods but figured the price was cheap enough to grab em and take them home to see, well sure enough they do fit in the pods with little modification, and by modification I only have to get 4 self tapping screws to mount them in the pods. I will take pics this weekend when I do the install and post them but figured I would start this thread so others that Have fit 6.5" speakers in the pods could post up too so we can get a list going for future builds!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
316 Posts
Looking forward to the pics. I'm after some replacement tour pak pod speakers I can drive with an amp.

Thanks!
G

·
Banned
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I didnt get finished up yet but getting close and will post up more pics fully installed but here is some as I was mocking up everything. Again, no mods to make these fit in the stock tour pak pods , only thing I will have to do is mount the speakers using self drilling screws cause of the bigger size, the only thing that doesn't line up is the stock speaker mounting holes. These are Polk Audio DXI651's

Before - below shows Boom! Rear pod speakers
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1391433054.658712.jpg

Heres the speakers in the box
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1391433112.365517.jpg

Heres the speakers sitting in the holes and another shot of the speaker showing it sitting flush in the pods
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1391433206.140112.jpg

·
Registered
316 Posts
How are you going to cover them? Did they come with grills that cover that protruding tweeter horn?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I'm getting ready to mount some HW 6.5's in mine, I snagged a couple of the adapters that V-Twin Audio makes. I had Polk DB650S in there but they started rattling...

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm getting ready to mount some HW 6.5's in mine, I snagged a couple of the adapters that V-Twin Audio makes. I had Polk DB650S in there but they started rattling...
Hey Brewiz - let me know how that turns out. I assume you run HW up front? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Thanks,
G

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
How did the Boom Speakers mount in there, a pre-drilled holes with normal screws? (since you are switching to the self tapping kind now)
Do you think the self tapping screws will hold up over time?

Curious here as I have been looking at the new HD 6.5" Booms for 2014 to do this same thing maybe (if they are 2ohm or not I am not yet sure)?

Thanks for the info on this.

·
Banned
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How did the Boom Speakers mount in there, a pre-drilled holes with normal screws? (since you are switching to the self tapping kind now)

Do you think the self tapping screws will hold up over time?

Curious here as I have been looking at the new HD 6.5" Booms for 2014 to do this same thing maybe (if they are 2ohm or not I am not yet sure)?

Thanks for the info on this.

These BOOM! Speakers I just replaced were the 5.25 inch speakers so I don't know about the mounting of the newer 6.5inch speakers but In my opinion, u would be better off getting this set up I just installed than those. Just my opinion and price is around the same, this set up really blew me away with how much better everything sounds and it is LOUD!

·
Banned
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ok, finished up the install, very Happy with it!!

The speaker pods, I used the speaker adapter/spacer Polk provided to mount them on the pods, biggest reason being , so I could see exactly where I drill the new holes. Heres pics

Speaker grill included with speakers
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1391625570.645915.jpg

Pop out the mesh grill to reveal mounting holes... make sure to place the plastic piece under the speaker. The speaker goes behind ( not in ) the squarish speaker cover....
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1391625637.616984.jpg

·
Banned
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mounted in rear pods, no issues plenty of clearance and by using a self tapping screw it mounts very rigid and sturdy. This does not leave a big hole and will not effect the pods as the screw holes will be covered by the speaker

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1391633274.436295.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1391633343.570358.jpg

1 - 20 of 44 Posts