Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a pair of Polk Dxi 650's and a pair of infinity kappa's in my glide both are distorting at anything above half vol after a long 13 hr run with the music up loud (interstate) riding id like to find some that can take the abuse of the pbr300x4 amp ? Suggestions?

One set is behind the fairing and one set is in the CVO street glide lower speaker boxes

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm running the T165 Fosgates with the PBR300x(4). They are perfectly matched at the RMS. They are broken in, with extremenly low distortion.
I think only at full volume with the very heavy bass do they distort.

I've run them at peak for hours on long rides, never a problem.

The reason for the 4 channel for me, is I have a tourpak. I routed a pair of leads with quick disconnect plugs to the rear of the bike. When I install the tour pak for long rides, I just plug them in. The amp is pre-set with the gain and frequency. It's amazing how well they sound.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hey HHFD05

What head unit are you running?
Is it possible that you have the gain set too high on the amp?

On head unit, do you have bass bumped up.. I did and it was causing similar problems.. I now run it flat (bass and treble set around 0), I have the Stock HK head unit with PB3002

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
What head unit are you running?
Is it possible that you have the gain set too high on the amp?

On head unit, do you have bass bumped up.. I did and it was causing similar problems.. I now run it flat (bass and treble set around 0), I have the Stock HK head unit with PB3002
I was running the HK head unit with bass and treble turned down to 0, I just expected more outta it I guess.......had polks in the inner fairing and ZXs in stock location, each set of speakers with there own PBR 300x2 :eek: it was loud and clear and everyone within 3-4 bike could hear me, I just though/expected more :confused: Ol lady couldn't hear much when we were going down the road

I turned the volume up to the "E" and adjusted my gains from there.......til speakers clipped then backed it of a bit. Each amp separately

Said screw it this time LOL and not messing around with any of that stuff ITOLDU loaned me the money for my new setup :D he just doesn't know it yet

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
If you are running a factory head unit, set the gains on the amp with the volume on the head unit about 3/4 the way up for the max volume, and never take the volume past that. The factory head unit starts sending out a distorted signal any higher than that, so you are already putting a distorted signal into the amp, in return you are getting a amplified distorted output to the speakers. I am running six RF 6 1/2 in the fairing and lowers, two RF 5 1/4 in the tour-pak pods, two RF 1" tweeters with two RF crossovers in the fairing, and two RF300PBRX4 with the factory head unit and the gains set that way and sounds great without distorting.

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
Yessir, that it's what I did. Like I said, it didn't sound bad. Was clear and loud, just expected more :rolleyes:

High end speakers and better amp should do it this go around, spending the $$ and doing it once :cool:

To quote "hurt 'me with them Hertz" ;)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I'm fairly confident what killed my ZX's was me not disabling the HK's auto volume level and running volume above half way. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the mild mannered metal mix....

·
Registered
671 Posts
I was running the HK head unit with bass and treble turned down to 0, I just expected more outta it I guess.......had polks in the inner fairing and ZXs in stock location, each set of speakers with there own PBR 300x2 :eek: it was loud and clear and everyone within 3-4 bike could hear me, I just though/expected more :confused: Ol lady couldn't hear much when we were going down the road

I turned the volume up to the "E" and adjusted my gains from there.......til speakers clipped then backed it of a bit. Each amp separately

Said screw it this time LOL and not messing around with any of that stuff ITOLDU loaned me the money for my new setup :D he just doesn't know it yet
Sorry GB,, My question was for the OP.. I should have been more clear. He didn't give any info on his head unit and I was wonderin'.. From what I've read about your ride.. I'm sure you expect MORE! Ride on bro!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I run Hertz HCX 6.5's in the fairing and Biketronics Hybrid 6x9's in the lids. Have run factory head unit and now a Kenwood and never blown any speakers. Gain is set at 5.5 and crossover set at AP (all pass). I also have the RF PBR300x4. Getting ready to switch to a 6 channel amp.

Buy a pair of Hertz and be done.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dump the Polk Audios. I used to have a triple amp, 12 speaker Polk system, and never could get TRUE performance out of them.

First, check the gains on your amp, they may be set too high.

Second, get yourself some Pioneer Premier 6.5" or 6.75" components. Do not get the A or the G model. Get the D series. They will out perform most, and will compare to high dollar speakers such a Focal, and they come with crossvers. You will not be disappointed. I run these speakers in our three cars off of Pioneer amps at 100 watts per channel and the D series 6x9's in my Fatboy with the ARC mini 125.4.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts