Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all.
I am looking to upgrade the sound system on my bike. I currently have available $ 600.00 and so far just wanting to replace the front (fairing) speakers and add an amp. I don't have lowers nor speakers on the saddle bags. I know this subject has been prob ran to death as which ""company has the best set up" and "mine is louder than yours" coversations. I am just wanting to know what I SHOULD buy or can buy with the $600.00 in my pocket. Thanks for all the suggestions. Or let me know if the money I have is not enough to get something decent.

Alex

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
First thing I would do is get a head unit and install kit. Then sell the HK on flea bay and get that $ back

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I'd go with a Hawgwired amp and a set of Focal or Hertz speakers for the $600, then as others said sell the HK and use the $$$ for a Sony, Kenwood, or Alpine HU and adapter kit...... much better, clear, and loud enough to hear. Plus ready for expansion.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with dbell I have focals and pbr amp that didn't run me much for the starting out system change you can get the pbr amps for around 150 on amazon and I think focals ic level speakers are on sale currently as we'll not a bad sounding speaker for a budget minded customer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
When you go to an aftermarket head unit, can you still use your factory hand controls to control everything thru some type of adapter?
I know of 4 adapters, Hawgwired, Side car cycles, Biketronics, and one Crutchfield sells, (I forget the name), all let you use the handlebar controls for an aftermarket HU.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
672 Posts
Just send your HK unit to Iron Cross and have them install RCA outputs then gtab up a rockford pbr or soundstream pn 4 channel amp and a set of hertz or focal speakers and your good. Youll have expandability with having 2 extra channels as well.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Harlista,

I am thinking of selling my J&M XT fairing speakers, with blue LED's, and my J&M 250w amp. Over 900 invested. Great system. Loud and clear at 80 mph. I rarely use the system since I got a Sena headset system and ear buds. Would $600 shipped be fair and you throw in your stock speakers?

What others have said about selling your HK head unit is good advice. You can get $400-450 on Ebay for your unit. I have the Sony DSX media player ($200) and Biketronics control. I am not entirely happy with the biketronics...cumbersome.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Get rid of that Harmon Kardon. They sell between $300-$400 on Ebay. Take that money and get yourself a good Head unit and install kit. Research the audio forums. Alpine makes a good 6.5" and can be had for about $105. I went with the Hertz Hcx 165 and Hertz Hcx 690 for the rear. Running a JL amp. Alot of people here on the forum like the Rockford Pbr amps. They are relatively cheap. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts