Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started out at 5am, foggy, the type you get wet in when you ride. We met at the McDonalds in Falcon. Rockiesredrosie & my grand daughter (16) and my self. We were both gassed up & ready to roll. We ran out of the fog in C/S & headed south on I25. Just as we were leaving Pueblo the sky got dark & a little bit of fog & the temps dropped down to around 40* stayed that way until just before Rye & Colorado City area. The temps went back up to the 50's as we stopped in Walsenburg & got fuel. Going up over LaVetta pass was sunny but temps dropped into the 40's then back up to the 50's around FT Garland. Aside from the passes, temps were sunshine mid 50's & up. Great ride. We turned on 285 south down to 17 & headed west to La Manga pass (elevation 10,230') then to Cumbres pass (elev. 10,022'). Down into New Mexico & at Chama got onto 64 north & back up to Colorado. Stopped in Pagosa Springs & ate then fueled up & headed up over Wolfcreek Pass (elev. 10,857') on hwy 160. Then in Del Norte we turned onto 112 over to 285 & headed north. At Saguache we turned onto 114 & headed towards North Cochetopa Pass & then onto 50 over to Gunnison, got fuel in Gunnison (good thing we did I had been running on the low light do to me not thinking). Headed back east on 50 to Salida through the Arkansa river basin & up to Canon City where the temps were up to 85* so we stopped & had some ice cream at Sonic & I fueled up. My fuel mileage is down around 30 (which I used to get 50 until I changed out some stuff, another story) Then off on hwy 50 to Penrose & up 115 to C/S & then to Falcon (home). All & all we had a great ride. My butt is still numb. Up til then I had my longest ride in one day at 450 miles, beat that by almost 200 miles. Hats off to my grand daughter who did not complain a bit (she may never ride with me again, but we will see). It was great meeting Rockiesredrosie & riding with him. His bike is nice, maybe someday, but for now I will have to keep my antique. I will try to get the few pics I have posted soon.

Toby

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Right on, sound like a great ride! Beautiful country in those parts for sure. Looking forward to the pictures :wink:

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Sounds like a good time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bleachey, nothing wrong with 255 mile ride. My butt is still numb, did not expect that many miles. But when you are riding and all is good, you tend to keep on going. When it's all done you go holy cow, I can't believe it was that many miles until you realize your butt is numb. Still a little sore. We only took pics of the signs of the passes, go figure, too busy riding. Could have had some great shots.

Toby

·
Registered
515 Posts
What's nice is that it comes across as so dramatic...the fog, the moon, the intrigue. Reality was, I was just pissing and moaning over having not put my rain pants on when we started and being too stubborn to stop and put them on. ~Three Hours Later...~

twistedcherokee and his gd were excellent traveling companions and made for an exceptional experience. I thought maybe she was a cyborg there for a while, I mean what teenager is willing to quietly sit on the back of a bike for 600+ miles in a day?! She is a legend, true road warrior. We both have lobster face after that trip, she had a 3/4 helmet with shield. The ride north on 160 out of Pagosa Springs is to die for. Post card white capped mountains, cobalt blue skies, deep green grass valley, and two red Harleys flying down a two lane. Thanks for a great ride, twistedcherokee.

PS My secret to long rides on a stock saddle: Lycra/Polyester running shorts underneath jeans, and a light dose of Pantene conditioner in the nethers. TMI? Sorry! :D

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Sounds amazing and hats off to the GD for logging those kinds of miles without the typical teenager crap - She is a good one for sure

Makes my 218 mile Sunday (yesterday) seem like a "Warm Up Lap"

You guys live in a great part of the country - I had family in Crested Butte (close to Gunison I believe) and I always wanted to ride out there

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wife and I spent several days up there this past summer, covered your entire route.....It took us 3 days.....

IN my defense we did run 1000 miles each of 2 days Colorado to Arkansas and Arkansas to Colorado. No I do not register Iron Butt.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Sounds amazing and hats off to the GD for logging those kinds of miles without the typical teenager crap - She is a good one for sure

You guys live in a great part of the country - I had family in Crested Butte (close to Gunison I believe) and I always wanted to ride out there
Yeah Crusty Butt is straight north out of Gunnison. Gorgeous. Hoping to ride CR 12 north out of there and do the western loop past the Ruby Range, south of Grand Mesa and south around Blue Mesa Scenic Byway this year (trip map attached). But there's a section that is dirt/gravel in the northern section that I'm not sure about for the big pig. Might drive it first--gotta be worth the scenery right?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts

^^^^^this is awesome.

My two bros and I rode to Glacier NP last summer and our passengers were 3 teenage nieces (my bros daughters). The devil on one shoulder was saying "Ugh, WTH are you thinking", the angel on the other shoulder said "look on the bright side!"

It was a ton of fun! The apples fell next to the apple trees!

My folks were our "support F150" because Gma won't let 80yo gpa ride his ultra trike in the mtn's anymore (and rightfully so).

It's been a year and those 15, 17, and 18 year old girls still talk about the bike trip and how much fun it was! ...and we averaged 450 miles/day.

Moral of the story: blood family or not...get out, have fun, ride safe, and make a lifetime of stories!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts