Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this for a project truck to build from ground up pretty much.

Its a frame and body, Engine block is cracked no steering/brakes/interior pretty much anything. Was rusted in normal places and a few other I've found while working on it.

Never done body work, so it doesn't look great but I am happy with it. Will be a semi-daily driver when I finish it, hopefully in a year or so.

Purchased Dec 26, so far have replaced or patched driver/passenger side: floor/seat pans that needed it, kick panels, door pillars, toe boards and rocker panels.

Working on roof and windshield panels currently and once that is done can start on other items. Wiring harness, brakes/lines, fuel system, steering, lights...list goes on.

So far it has been a whole lot of cutting grinding and welding in panels and patches. Roof/windshield area going to be a real pita.

Plan is for a 5.3/4l60e later this year once most everything else is taken care of.

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Rim Metal

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Very cool. And looks like you're doing a good job. I passed on a 1965 GMC 4x4 about 8yrs ago, in really good shape & the guy wanted $4500 for it. Still kicking myself for not buying it.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Thats some nice looking rust repair.

My first pickup was a 1960 C10 short bed. Stovebolt 6 with three on the tree. I bought it in the summer of 74 and kept it till 78.

It was rusty and wore out when I got it. Would have passed for a rat ride today. The previous owner used it in his Business Machine business. And he had someone weld a sheet of 3/16 steel in the bed floor. So it rode like a Caddy. It was bad slow, which was good, since it didn't corner very well and it took a real big foot to stop it. But it never left me on the road.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, been working on it for a little over a month on my off days.

Needs lower door skins and bottoms eventually but after the roof that should be all the major body work.

Been a lot of learning, have done very little sheet metal welding before this project. Lots of blown holes doing the patches and had a hard time getting parts to but up flush. But welds hold well and no light passes through, hoping windshield panels turn out alright.

Bought the HF Titanium 125 welder for it and its got the job done so far.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jacksprat56

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Windshield panels got me a little nervous, mostly because the roof lip is rusted pretty thin and missing in some spots.

Either have to buy a new roof skin or weld on a new lip in some areas. Going to get the panels that make up windshield lip inner/outer cut out and decide.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Cut out, need to trim it down for new panels to fit and then I can start tacking it in

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drip rails cleaned out and welded the holes today. Have the inner roof panel clamped in place ready to mark where I need to trim still.

Still need to weld a roof lip in some sections and can finally weld inner/outer panels into place.

Did some patching of the A pillar, looks ok. Will primer and seam seal everything once I'm done and pray for no leaks.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This roof has been a major p.i.t.a repair.

Almost wish I had just bout the whole skin...but I am now almost ready to weld it in place.

Inner section is fitted as best as I could get it. Outer is ready now that the roof lip has been repaired. Just need a little more grinding/patching on the drip rail around A pillars.

Have a bike trip planned over to the Tennessee/Arkansas borders next month and want to finish this up.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Inner roof patch is in, have to pick up some seam sealer still before I do outter. Want to seal it from in between the panels along the big ass seam i had to weld.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Body wiring harness ordered from Speedway. Its the 22 circuit universal, should be plenty as stock only had 8.

Hopefully will finish outer roof tomorrow or the next day.

Then on to harness and getting a 73-87 front end with cross member for it. Followed by running brake lines, fuel lines, setting up rear for tank under bed and finishing body work needed on doors, hood and bed.

Lots more time and work ahead of me.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a lot of stitch work, especially having to look up while doing it. The juice will be worth the squeeze.
It was a ton of small welds all the while being showered with molten metal . But will definitely be worth the work when I finish.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
All I can say to you sir is: I'M SERIOUSLY IMPRESSED What an undertaking!!! Very cool. Looking forward to seeing the "finished" product. Gonna have to "follow" this thread! :oops::coffee::coffee:(y)

Reactions: 168313 and Zedbra

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Roof finished now can move on to wiring harness and front end replacement.

That puts me with new floors, rockers inner/outer, kick panels, door pillars and front roof inner/outer completed.

Body work still left is hood, doors and a little on each bed side. Will start on that when im done with front end and eaiting on fuel/brake parts.

Pulled off custom badge on cab and factory paint under there is still pretty nice compared to rest of the truck.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Motor and trans pulled, going to power wash engine bay and firewall. Universal wiring harness came in for the body so will vet to look over it.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
These truck build threads are bringing back the memories of the one that I didn't buy when I had the opportunity. It was in eastern Oregon. I was on a bike trip and couldn't take the time to arrange for shipping it back to TN.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Pickup truck
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Truck

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Front end coming out tomorrow and will be picking up a complete disc brake front end out of a 73 to go in it. And hopefully snag the booster/reservoir and brake lines.

Will also pull bed apart tomorrow and get the frame ready to be cleaned up and painted.

Then will move on to either brake lines/fuel lines and tank or wiring harness... haven't decided yet.

Have door panels ordered to weld in as well. Wiring harness came in so will likely start that after frame is done and I finish priming floors.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,711 Posts
Terrific project truck. As I told "Bandit 7", you have mad skills to be able to do all that panel patching/replacement without previous experience. Way above my skill level since I couldn't weld 2 tin cans together! Nice job, can't wait to see it finished. What are you dropping in for a motor? SBC I assume but rodded or mostly stock?

1 - 20 of 143 Posts