Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this for a project truck to build from ground up pretty much.

Its a frame and body, Engine block is cracked no steering/brakes/interior pretty much anything. Was rusted in normal places and a few other I've found while working on it.

Never done body work, so it doesn't look great but I am happy with it. Will be a semi-daily driver when I finish it, hopefully in a year or so.

Purchased Dec 26, so far have replaced or patched driver/passenger side: floor/seat pans that needed it, kick panels, door pillars, toe boards and rocker panels.

Working on roof and windshield panels currently and once that is done can start on other items. Wiring harness, brakes/lines, fuel system, steering, lights...list goes on.

So far it has been a whole lot of cutting grinding and welding in panels and patches. Roof/windshield area going to be a real pita.

Plan is for a 5.3/4l60e later this year once most everything else is taken care of.

IMG_20200205_105104769.jpg

·
Registered
983 Posts
Very cool. And looks like you're doing a good job. I passed on a 1965 GMC 4x4 about 8yrs ago, in really good shape & the guy wanted $4500 for it. Still kicking myself for not buying it.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Thats some nice looking rust repair.

My first pickup was a 1960 C10 short bed. Stovebolt 6 with three on the tree. I bought it in the summer of 74 and kept it till 78.

It was rusty and wore out when I got it. Would have passed for a rat ride today. The previous owner used it in his Business Machine business. And he had someone weld a sheet of 3/16 steel in the bed floor. So it rode like a Caddy. It was bad slow, which was good, since it didn't corner very well and it took a real big foot to stop it. But it never left me on the road.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, been working on it for a little over a month on my off days.

Needs lower door skins and bottoms eventually but after the roof that should be all the major body work.

Been a lot of learning, have done very little sheet metal welding before this project. Lots of blown holes doing the patches and had a hard time getting parts to but up flush. But welds hold well and no light passes through, hoping windshield panels turn out alright.

Bought the HF Titanium 125 welder for it and its got the job done so far.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Looks good for not doing much, if any, body work before.
As long as you're happy with it, that's what matters.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Windshield panels got me a little nervous, mostly because the roof lip is rusted pretty thin and missing in some spots.

Either have to buy a new roof skin or weld on a new lip in some areas. Going to get the panels that make up windshield lip inner/outer cut out and decide.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drip rails cleaned out and welded the holes today. Have the inner roof panel clamped in place ready to mark where I need to trim still.

Still need to weld a roof lip in some sections and can finally weld inner/outer panels into place.

Did some patching of the A pillar, looks ok. Will primer and seam seal everything once I'm done and pray for no leaks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts