Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this for a project truck to build from ground up pretty much.

Its a frame and body, Engine block is cracked no steering/brakes/interior pretty much anything. Was rusted in normal places and a few other I've found while working on it.

Never done body work, so it doesn't look great but I am happy with it. Will be a semi-daily driver when I finish it, hopefully in a year or so.

Purchased Dec 26, so far have replaced or patched driver/passenger side: floor/seat pans that needed it, kick panels, door pillars, toe boards and rocker panels.

Working on roof and windshield panels currently and once that is done can start on other items. Wiring harness, brakes/lines, fuel system, steering, lights...list goes on.

So far it has been a whole lot of cutting grinding and welding in panels and patches. Roof/windshield area going to be a real pita.

Plan is for a 5.3/4l60e later this year once most everything else is taken care of.

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Rim Metal

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, been working on it for a little over a month on my off days.

Needs lower door skins and bottoms eventually but after the roof that should be all the major body work.

Been a lot of learning, have done very little sheet metal welding before this project. Lots of blown holes doing the patches and had a hard time getting parts to but up flush. But welds hold well and no light passes through, hoping windshield panels turn out alright.

Bought the HF Titanium 125 welder for it and its got the job done so far.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Windshield panels got me a little nervous, mostly because the roof lip is rusted pretty thin and missing in some spots.

Either have to buy a new roof skin or weld on a new lip in some areas. Going to get the panels that make up windshield lip inner/outer cut out and decide.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Cut out, need to trim it down for new panels to fit and then I can start tacking it in

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drip rails cleaned out and welded the holes today. Have the inner roof panel clamped in place ready to mark where I need to trim still.

Still need to weld a roof lip in some sections and can finally weld inner/outer panels into place.

Did some patching of the A pillar, looks ok. Will primer and seam seal everything once I'm done and pray for no leaks.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This roof has been a major p.i.t.a repair.

Almost wish I had just bout the whole skin...but I am now almost ready to weld it in place.

Inner section is fitted as best as I could get it. Outer is ready now that the roof lip has been repaired. Just need a little more grinding/patching on the drip rail around A pillars.

Have a bike trip planned over to the Tennessee/Arkansas borders next month and want to finish this up.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Inner roof patch is in, have to pick up some seam sealer still before I do outter. Want to seal it from in between the panels along the big ass seam i had to weld.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Body wiring harness ordered from Speedway. Its the 22 circuit universal, should be plenty as stock only had 8.

Hopefully will finish outer roof tomorrow or the next day.

Then on to harness and getting a 73-87 front end with cross member for it. Followed by running brake lines, fuel lines, setting up rear for tank under bed and finishing body work needed on doors, hood and bed.

Lots more time and work ahead of me.

Reactions: Jacksprat56

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a lot of stitch work, especially having to look up while doing it. The juice will be worth the squeeze.
It was a ton of small welds all the while being showered with molten metal . But will definitely be worth the work when I finish.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Roof finished now can move on to wiring harness and front end replacement.

That puts me with new floors, rockers inner/outer, kick panels, door pillars and front roof inner/outer completed.

Body work still left is hood, doors and a little on each bed side. Will start on that when im done with front end and eaiting on fuel/brake parts.

Pulled off custom badge on cab and factory paint under there is still pretty nice compared to rest of the truck.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Motor and trans pulled, going to power wash engine bay and firewall. Universal wiring harness came in for the body so will vet to look over it.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Front end coming out tomorrow and will be picking up a complete disc brake front end out of a 73 to go in it. And hopefully snag the booster/reservoir and brake lines.

Will also pull bed apart tomorrow and get the frame ready to be cleaned up and painted.

Then will move on to either brake lines/fuel lines and tank or wiring harness... haven't decided yet.

Have door panels ordered to weld in as well. Wiring harness came in so will likely start that after frame is done and I finish priming floors.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Terrific project truck. As I told "Bandit 7", you have mad skills to be able to do all that panel patching/replacement without previous experience. Way above my skill level since I couldn't weld 2 tin cans together! Nice job, can't wait to see it finished. What are you dropping in for a motor? SBC I assume but rodded or mostly stock?
Plan is for an LM7/4L60e, figure since I'm starting from scratch I would go with a newer power-train for around the same cost. Around here 1800 will get me motor/trans/pcm and all accessories.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Old front end unbolted and ready to pull out. Lined up a 73 front end for the power disc brakes. Likely needs a rebuild but was only 100$ and calipers/rotors look ok which is most expensive part of rebuild.

Also going to try and get the sway bar thrown in and install.

All steering stuff is only 120$ from rock auto.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It was a nice day to ride my motorcycle so I went most of the morning and midday riding around the area.

Got back home and figured since I'm waiting on the front end before I do anything else major I would go ahead and pull the dash out and installing my new to me dash tomorrow.

Possibly start on cutting the door bottoms out if its going to rain like the weather man is calling for tomorrow too.

Bed had to wait until I get new front end on and my hood off the bed rails. Will paint the rest of the frame in preparation for brake/fuel lines and harness.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
New dash is in, wasn't too bad. Whoever pulled it out of the last truck did cut the windshield trim off on each side so had to patch it in off old dash.

Came out really good in my eyes. Wish it had been cut correct though, would have not had to mess up that nice paint on it.

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Newer front end put in, may have been a waste of money since it needs full rebuild however.

But it has disc brakes now, just need to clean up and paint calipers and rebuild all steering ($97) from rock auto. Then decide if I will run the 5x5 rotors and find rear axles or buy 6x5.5 rotors (cheaper).

The wheels I plan to have on it come in either bolt pattern.

Reactions: ChromeSpark

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Cab mount bushings in and tank mounts behind seat removed.

All control arm bushings and upper/lower ball joints on the way.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Started pulling front end apart this evening. Only started on passenger side, control off spindles and top ball joint out so far.

Got all new control arm bushings and ball joints on the way. Plan to soak control arms in vinager and water some time this week to get rust off and paint once control arm bushings are removed.

Will order the rest of the front end parts later this week to replace.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
All front suspension and steering pulled off. Now need to pull out control arm bushings and pick up some vinegar/water mix or similar rust remover to soak parts in.

Then on to paint and reassemble with new bushings and ball joints. Paint cross member and everything up front before re-in stalling control arms.

After this is complete will order all steering parts minus pitman arm as I dont know which steering box I will find/buy yet. Will get a set of drop spindles as well so I can fully reassemble.

But for now its in the 70s and im going to ride my RG for a couple hours after a shower to get cleaned up. Bushings can wait until tomorrow or maybe late this evening.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts