Road Glide banner
141 - 146 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Saw this at the German dealer near my hotel, a bit over done for my taste but the paint looked good.

I see what people say about the stock rear wheel too, noticed it pretty quick and that it was on stock suspension still.

Ride to Louisiana next month going to be pretty rough if the temps stay where they're at 105 is what my buddy said this weeks high is.

5 days until I fly back to the states, get my new tires on before next weekend and going to hit up the blue ridge parkway.

My boss was up there today on his bike and he said it was only 74F, was 94 down where I live an hour away.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Saw this at the German dealer near my hotel, a bit over done for my taste but the paint looked good.

I see what people say about the stock rear wheel too, noticed it pretty quick and that it was on stock suspension still.

Ride to Louisiana next month going to be pretty rough if the temps stay where they're at 105 is what my buddy said this weeks high is.

5 days until I fly back to the states, get my new tires on before next weekend and going to hit up the blue ridge parkway.

My boss was up there today on his bike and he said it was only 74F, was 94 down where I live an hour away.

It can easily be 30 degrees cooler on the BRP. Especially after a pop-up storm passes through. Plan you gas stops correctly and you never have to go down to the valley during your ride.

Same thing in the Cloudcroft/Ruidoso area in the mountains east of Alamogordo. Come down at the end of the ride and hope your tires don't melt on the way back to lodging.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
It can easily be 30 degrees cooler on the BRP. Especially after a pop-up storm passes through. Plan you gas stops correctly and you never have to go down to the valley during your ride.

Same thing in the Cloudcroft/Ruidoso area in the mountains east of Alamogordo. Come down at the end of the ride and hope your tires don't melt on the way back to lodging.
Looks like I will be riding that area for the month of August, got pulled into some work stuff the week I am supposed to be riding to Louisiana so Nc/Tn it will be for the weekends I am off.

Reactions: twowheeladdict

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 · (Edited)
Priority for my month and a half home this winter will be the bed floor and fitting a fuel filler setup.
Found a behind tail light filler for $600.... While I'm not looking to spend that I did a good bit of research this week and found another option for a similar result.

Pair it with a 88-98 c1500 filler and a fill through cap and it will be pretty stealthy. See two people who jas done it on a 60-66, they use a small eye bolt on the top screw to pull open.

Then I will cut out the driver side door bottom and replaced that panel and hopefully have time to assemble both doors completely. Then next year I will be back home for good and can have a transmission built and installed followed by and exhaust system and I can begin driving it and seeing what repairs I will need to make.

Once I determine it to be dependable I can do the rustoleum paint job and see about ordering and installing an A/C system likely from Vintage air.

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 · (Edited)
Ordered an oak bed floor, hopefully it will be in and I can pick it up the weekend I fly home. Goal is to get the mocked up so I can drill the holes in the edge of the bed flange.

Then get it coated and dried with several coats of behr stain and seal.

Still deciding on a color but leaning towards a semi-transparent black.

While the bed is soaking in the stain I am going to weld the door bottoms on driver side and get the fuel filler put behind the tail light and all that plumbing ran.

If I have time I will assemble and install the doors.

Will just need a transmission built after that and I can start test drives to see what other problem areas I need to work on

·
Registered
2018 FLTRX
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Picked bed floor up today going to try and get holes drilled this weekend. Then on to stain, fuel filler and replace a door bottom before next year.

If I can get all that done by the end of the year I'll be happy.

141 - 146 of 146 Posts