Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Saturday hit another milestone and celebrated 66 years with my first Iron Butt. Went with three other buds. And I have to say it was a great way to celebrate.

I've done a fair number of long rides, but never this long. Honestly, I was a little nervous about how I'd hold up. I've done a fair number of marathons in years past and decided to use the same mentality . . . don't think about the miles - just do it. We left on I-26 in Spartanburg, taking 26 up to Kingsport, TN. Then made the only turn north on I-81 and did a u-ie in Hagerstown, MD. For Iron Butt documentation purposes it was a super clean simple route. For riding it was really a pretty good scenic ride - or as scenic as slab riding can get. The section above Asheville was very scenic and very little traffic. To me the ride up 81 is fairly scenic too, through the Shenandoah area, etc. The Sahara sand storm was clear to see. Few sprinkles early in the ride, but never really got wet. Started at 5 am and finished at exactly 10 pm. No long stops, and spend about 30 minutes at the turnaround . . . and enjoyed my turkey sandwich. Tried to drink a good bit along the way, and since I didn't want to buy another cup holder for the front I tried using an old fanny pack turned around backwards to keep a cold drink and snacks handy. Cooler in the saddlebag to reload w/ cold drinks.

My worst spot was actually the last 50ish miles before turning back at Hagerstown. I was a little concerned that I'd tank late in the ride, but after the sandwich, snack and drink I felt totally revived as soon as we started back. Overall I enjoyed the whole ride and couldn't believe that I held up as well as I did. Great way to celebrate!

I'll try to post a couple pics, but no scenic pics taken . . ...

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I don't understand why you all do that crazy endurance riding, but congrats! That is quite an achievement. And doing it with others is probably an even bigger achievement since most do it alone.

I love I-81, when there are no trucks around. Then it can be a nightmare with a slow truck passing an even slower truck up hill at 50 mph. And of course when it is a line of 10 trucks, I just take the next exit. LOL! I spent one trip getting on and off it constantly. Too many trucks, next exit, progress too slow, back on it, until I finally found a route that took me away towards where I wanted to be.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great job! Some say it’s easy but it’s not for most. I’ve done two but it took five years after the first one to do it again.

·
Administrator
10,359 Posts
I've done several back to back on trips , but never thought about the IB when I was doing it , keep saying I will , but haven't ..

If you look at the IB site , there's some guys that really rack up the rides over and over ..

JtB

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've done several back to back on trips , but never thought about the IB when I was doing it , keep saying I will , but haven't ..

If you look at the IB site , there's some guys that really rack up the rides over and over ..

JtB
You’re right. A lot absolutely unbelievable. I think the longest I saw was 45 days & 45k miles. Not sure if that was consecutive days - but I think it was. A lot of super impressive records.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats.....I did mine years ago by myself riding from Atlanta to Texas (the long way). It was tough, but I'm glad I did it. Looking forward to doing another one soon.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I love I-81, when there are no trucks around. Then it can be a nightmare with a slow truck passing an even slower truck up hill at 50 mph. And of course when it is a line of 10 trucks, I just take the next exit. LOL! I spent one trip getting on and off it constantly. Too many trucks, next exit, progress too slow, back on it, until I finally found a route that took me away towards where I wanted to be.
i don't think you can ever find i-81 without trucks on it. the wife and i rode from la to dc a couple summers back. fun ride, 81 was the worst part, lol.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Congratulations. 600 miles is the longest I've gone. I remember thinking, somewhere around 400 miles or so, 1000 for an Iron Butt should be easy. By the time I got to 600 miles I was thinking I had to be insane for even considering 1000 miles.
Happy Birthday

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,867 Posts
Happy B'day and congrats on the IB1000, Ron. Too bad your Roadie had to put up with being surrounded by those ugly bikes that long. lol

Reactions: RonC26
1 - 15 of 15 Posts