Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I'll wave at you when I'm heading back to Illinois from the Black hills. I will be coming back on the weekend that the rally starts.

I don't like lines :rolleyes:

So 62 days for me before I head west :D

Leave July 27.... turn around and head for home Aug 3.

Here's my route:

I80 to I380 (Iowa City to Waterloo) then Iowa 20 to I29 (Sioux City Ia), then I29 North to SD44..... Then all the way through South Dakota on SD44. Nice scenery.... very little traffic.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Here's my route:

I80 to I385 (Iowa City to Waterloo) then Iowa 20 to I29 (Sioux City Ia), then I29 North to SD44..... Then all the way through South Dakota on SD44. Nice scenery.... very little traffic.
Theres a stretch of road where I380 and 20 meet around Waterloo, that is all torn up almost all the way to the Silver Eagle HD. Major construction and traffic very very congested and slow.
Check on that progress before you take that 7 miles stretch. Might cut over to old 218 around Laporte City before getting back on Hwy 20.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Theres a stretch of road where I380 and 20 meet around Waterloo, that is all torn up almost all the way to the Silver Eagle HD. Major construction and traffic very very congested and slow.
Check on that progress before you take that 7 miles stretch. Might cut over to old 218 around Laporte City before getting back on Hwy 20.

Already on top of that.....

http://hb.511ia.org/main.jsf If you really look at this one.... looks like the whole state is under construction. :eek:

And this one for South Dakota

http://www.safetravelusa.com/sd/

Two years ago we had to ride through water a foot deep and 150 feet long on SD 44 by Parkston. In hindsight it added to the adventure...... but it didn't seem like it at the time :D

W

·
0 Posts
Sturgis is no longer on my agenda. I can have more fun watching flies get fried on a bug Zapper.

W

·
0 Posts
so you like to make salsa?

billings is nice. are you close to there?

if you have an acoustic guitar, I can pay my rent.
I make enough to have between 55 and 60 Gallons to start each year out.

About 240 miles from Billings in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
sounds like a pita to get there....

we did 540 miles touring around MT one day, never found out where in the heck we were supposed to be going.

I guess we had fun, the sky's are just as advertised.

saw the bison fallover area.

some of the best land period.

I kept waiting for a light to go off and sound "ding" salsa stand, next exit...

eventually we retreat to our tourist trapping capital.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I'm going back to Tennessee, on vacation the last weeks in July and heading back to California the first week in August.
(And the SWII)
I forgot about Sturgis. Last time was '96. I might just drop by there the first days on my way back to CA.
Because the sturgis Rally has gotten to be a RUB Trailer Rally. I don't go anymore. But the ride there and back is great.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Got tentative plans to be there Aug 9 - 11. Not a fan of big crowds but everyone tells me I need to go once. Went out two weeks before the rally last year and had a great time. My bro-in-law and sister from Colorado really want to go and have me meet them there. Currently got a room booked in Keystone.

Here's my route:

I80 to I380 (Iowa City to Waterloo) then Iowa 20 to I29 (Sioux City Ia), then I29 North to SD44..... Then all the way through South Dakota on SD44. Nice scenery.... very little traffic.
Just took a trip to the Black Hills this weekend and took SD44... Really nice ride except for the rain/fog on Saturday. It was beautiful coming home today. I'm in south east SD, about 20 miles north of Sioux City, so I took hwy 50 from here through Yankton and it eventually joins SD 44. Sure was a nice change of pace from the I29 to I90 route.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
well doing something a little different this year. We normally tent it in Sturgis but my buddy just called and said he was able to get us a room in Spearfish for the 4th thru the 8th damn it is going to be nice not sleeping on the ground and waiting in line to shower and sh*t.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts