Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of the buffetting on the RGU. I have tried; freedom shields, windvest, clearview, harley windsplitter, and a 12" klockwerks. I have also installed a Rifle vent in the stock 15" shield.
None of the forementioned shields were significantly better for me than the stock 15" shield.

I know I will have a lot of air flowing over my head / helmet with an 8" .

So my question for those that have or have had an 8" klockwerks: Do you experience buffetting with the 8" or just lots of CLEAN AIR?

Also if you no longer use the 8" why not?

Any other comments or observations on the subject are also welcome..

Thanks For Your Help

John

·
Registered
654 Posts
Wait for it .................................................... MADSTAD! This one will work!
I know u are asking about KW. I have a 12" KW and doesn't compare to my Madstad.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Have had the KW 8 for 6 years and wouldn't change a thing. And i put the miles on it. Depends how tall you are and with my Corbin seat it lowered me in the saddle a bit. When sitting the wind hits me at eye level and its clear wind no buffeting side back and forth. But if its raining your your getting it all. One reason when venturing more than a days ride out i usally have the full face strapped on the back. When i ride i want some wind and it works good for me , but if you want to be behind the sheild and some what protected this isn't for ya. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
613 Posts
I had the 8" KW and took it off. To me it's a great looking windshield and would work for riding on back roads or short high speed trips. Or if you wear a full or 3/4 helmet it works great. Otherwise you get a lot of air hitting your eyes. Or at least I did. What I will share, back in 2010 when I bought my first Road Glide I thought I made a big mistake. I came off a Road King and the buffeting on the Road Glide was more than I was willing to put up with. I have ridden for years without windshields and that was better than the buffeting I was experiencing on my new Road Glide.

After a lot of searching I found the fork baffle was key to eliminate the updraft which was a big part of the buffeting problem and then installed a Cee Bailey Cee Glide windshield. This solved things for me and I put on 50,000 miles of mostly interstate riding the first two years with no buffeting issues. Once I got the air under control I was sold on the Road Glide. I am on my second one Road Glide and just moved my wife off her Street Glide to a Road Glide.

Good luck on finding the solution that makes things good for you.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I have the 8" KW. Get lower seat you will be fine. I ride everywhere with that thing and have no complaints. Feels like I expect a motorcycle to feel. All this talk of clean and dirty air sounds like the expectation is the same you would have for a convertible car. C'mon people!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
119 Posts
I tried a few windshields before buying the 8" KW. The KW has been the best. Yes, you do get air, but I have zero buffeting.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have one sitting on a shelf. 200 miles maybe. I love the look. Best looking sheild!! The problem is I'm 6'7" and over 55 it put every bit of turbulent air in my face. If I was under 6' I think it would be great. Went with a 16"tssc cee bailey and it works awesome. The thing I found out is what looks cool and my work for some doesn't work for everyone

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I had the 8" KW and took it off. To me it's a great looking windshield and would work for riding on back roads or short high speed trips. Or if you wear a full or 3/4 helmet it works great. Otherwise you get a lot of air hitting your eyes. Or at least I did. What I will share, back in 2010 when I bought my first Road Glide I thought I made a big mistake. I came off a Road King and the buffeting on the Road Glide was more than I was willing to put up with. I have ridden for years without windshields and that was better than the buffeting I was experiencing on my new Road Glide.

After a lot of searching I found the fork baffle was key to eliminate the updraft which was a big part of the buffeting problem and then installed a Cee Bailey Cee Glide windshield. This solved things for me and I put on 50,000 miles of mostly interstate riding the first two years with no buffeting issues. Once I got the air under control I was sold on the Road Glide. I am on my second one Road Glide and just moved my wife off her Street Glide to a Road Glide.

Good luck on finding the solution that makes things good for you.
My sentiments exactly!

Flaps + GADS LTTD + Vented Lowers + 12" WindSplitter = Aerodynamic Nirvana (for me) and I ain't gotta run no ugly windshield! lol

The '09 had the 8" KW on when I got it, and it looks pretty cool. 'Went with the WindSplitter first, then the flaps, then changed out the HD dog dish to the GADS and added the Vented Lowers at the same time. With the Flaps, GADS & Lowers, I would probably be happy with stock Toenail...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
All this talk of clean and dirty air sounds like the expectation is the same you would have for a convertible car. C'mon people!
Yea, I know, but it does make a difference when you are on the bike for 2-3 months at a time...

·
Registered
654 Posts
I had an 8 inch KW. I am 5'9". I removed it simply because riding faster than 50MPH was just too windy. I could not hear the sterio, couldn't even hear my open V&H mufflers. But it is the best looking shield I have ever had. Then the HD windsplitter 15", it directs air directly to my nose and eye balls. Actually had fuzzy vision while riding with that one. It also looked great on the RG. Then I got the HD wind baffles, they work some. Then GADs, they help as well. Then I got a 13" recurve windshield, that works very well but I kind of wish I got a taller one. The 13"er still looks great though. I really like the looks of National cycle Vstream 15" or may be even an 18. Might try one of those out. Also (pinch me now), considering that other windshield company that everyone is talking about.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I have the 8" KW. Get lower seat you will be fine. I ride everywhere with that thing and have no complaints. Feels like I expect a motorcycle to feel. All this talk of clean and dirty air sounds like the expectation is the same you would have for a convertible car. C'mon people!

Your also not exactly winning height competions...:D

I'm 6'2 and had the 8" KW. I tried lowering the seat etc, it just kept hitting me right in the glasses and shaking them pretty bad. So I went with 12 and its much better. Air hits me over the forehead. I don't even know what clean and dirty air means. lol It is however the best looking windshield without a doubt.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts

I'm 6'2 and had the 8" KW. I tried lowering the seat etc, it just kept hitting me right in the glasses and shaking them pretty bad. So I went with 12 and its much better. Air hits me over the forehead. I don't even know what clean and dirty air means. lol It is however the best looking windshield without a doubt.

Touché!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have one sitting on a shelf. 200 miles maybe. I love the look. Best looking sheild!! The problem is I'm 6'7" and over 55 it put every bit of turbulent air in my face. If I was under 6' I think it would be great. Went with a 16"tssc cee bailey and it works awesome. The thing I found out is what looks cool and my work for some doesn't work for everyone
Let me know if you want to clean that shelf off.

·
Registered
22 Posts

How did you guys go about lowering your seat? Do you have to take it to a shop and have it done or is there a DIY on this?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I haven't read all the comments but just to let you know, I discovered that the biggest difference was not only in the windshields I tried but with the helmet I used. My polo helmet gives me lots of buffeting and my nut shell none. It's like day and night. So depending on the ride, I also choose my helmet. I tried three different windshields and will try a 8 in Klockworks this spring. Also, my 2009 has a deflector under the upper fairing which my 2010 does not. Apparently, that little piece makes a big difference as well so... I will see!

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
How did you guys go about lowering your seat? Do you have to take it to a shop and have it done or is there a DIY on this?
That's an option lowering your stock seat. Badx is a member on here who has a business like that. Other option is just buying a new one. The specs will always tell you 1" lower and 1" back etc when your on thier website. Chck out Lepera, mustang, Corbin or Danny grey just to name a few. All quality.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts