Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: I'm about to change out the lube in all three holes again. My intention is to change it out every 5000-miles...engine, transmission, and primary. My '15 RGS cruises at a steady 3000rpms ALOT for a constant 2hrs every day 'cuz that's my commute on a lightly trafficked freeway...set the CC, settle against the backrest, boots up on the highway pegs, and enjoy the ride:D

Question: Is the $8 derby cover paper gasket (part# 25416-99C) a one-time use only item? The last time I changed out the primary fluid at its first 1000mile checkup, the gasket looked new-like but the red silicone bead was less proud than a new one. Would it be OK to apply a fresh bead of silicone/rtv on this used gasket and reuse it one more time?

The reason: $8 is still $8. That's about 2.42gals of 91octane ...about 80miles worth of additional high-speed miles traveled on said commute;)

Ok...but seriously...is it a one-time use only gasket?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I service mine every 5k as well. I've reused it each time and I haven't had any issues. The covers been off 7-8 times now. I'm doing the same with my wife's bike with no problems.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is good to hear...thanks! Did you guys apply a thin bead of rtv or did you re-install it as-is with its less proud bead?

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
I still got my original on and plan on keeping it until it leaks. NO RTV.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Ever since they went from the rubber o-ring to the gasket that covers the whole derby cover, no leaks. I've been using mine for about 60,000 miles and no problem.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
This is good to hear...thanks! Did you guys apply a thin bead of rtv or did you re-install it as-is with its less proud bead?
Use it as is. I've gone as much as 40k on the same gasket changing oil every 5k and never had an issue. Don't know how many more uses I could have gotten out of it because I sold the bike at that time.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Ok stupid question. When did they go back to a paper gasket for the derby cover? My 09 has the rubber o-ring

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Ok stupid question. When did they go back to a paper gasket for the derby cover? My 09 has the rubber o-ring
I can't remember if my wife's 07 had the rubber o-ring or not. I changed her cover and it uses the paper gasket. I do know my '12 came with the paper gasket.

The same ole flattened "less than proud bead" still does it's job lol. No need to add anything to it.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
My 08 has a paper gasket. I reuse the derby cover gasket all the time, I only replaced it once just for the hell of it.
You shouldn't use any silicone on the gasket at all. Also I recommend that you replace the OEM Torque Head derby cover screws with Allen Head screws you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Yeah was just wondering about the gasket. Like I said I still have the o-ring gasket but didn't realize they went back to paper. Also I have to agree with Ironmark about replacing the torque head bolts with allen. You won't have to worry about stripping them anymore with the allen heads

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I can't remember if my wife's 07 had the rubber o-ring or not. I changed her cover and it uses the paper gasket. I do know my '12 came with the paper gasket.

The same ole flattened "less than proud bead" still does it's job lol. No need to add anything to it.
my 07, 10 and 12 all had the 'quad ring' in the derby cover. the only paper gasket that i've seen used is for an aftermarket derby cover.

i've never had a problem with the torx derby cover screws. they are not a high torque item, install them properly, use a little anti seize and install them in an alternating pattern and no probs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts