Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas I need some help from the audio gurus. Im upgrading to an eight speaker set up over the winter and im not sure which amp or amps to run to properly power this set up.

BTW Im running 4 6.5 pioneers a pair of Alpine 6x9s and a pair of super tweeters.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
You could run any number of 4 ch amps, if you want it to fit in the inner fairing then the JL Audio XD 400/4 would work. Every other 4 channel is going to be larger and most likely require you mounting it in the saddle bag.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
The new Soundstream Picasso 520D is 4 channel and fits in the fairing. For 8 speakers I'd used two. I'm cautious about running a motorcycle amp at 2 ohms due to limited cooling room, no cooling fan, and long hours playing at high volume. I have four speakers and a JL 400x4 in the fairing but that required major modification including grinding on the heat sink.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The hawgwired amps can handle 4x4ohm speakers and they sound awesome. 100w continuous to each, and two or more of them will fit in your fairing. I'm not sure how much power your super tweeters can handle, but they sound like the kink in the armor to me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
The hawgwired amps can handle 4x4ohm speakers and they sound awesome. 100w continuous to each, and two or more of them will fit in your fairing. I'm not sure how much power your super tweeters can handle, but they sound like the kink in the armor to me.

Agreed about the tweeters. Guaranteed not to handle the same amount of juice as the rest

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm going to be running 2 sound stream pn2.350d 175x2 @ 2 ohms... Only running 4 speakers but they're polk MM's which are 2 ohm each.

Got my fingers crossed that it will sound great. So far I'm excited about these amps they're just as small as the RF pbr.. Only 115$ each on Amazon.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I'm going to be running 2 sound stream pn2.350d 175x2 @ 2 ohms... Only running 4 speakers but they're polk MM's which are 2 ohm each.

Got my fingers crossed that it will sound great. So far I'm excited about these amps they're just as small as the RF pbr.. Only 115$ each on Amazon.

All indications say you will be a happy man. The MM Polk is a quality speaker

·
Registered
198 Posts
there are a few questions that I can answer here.

The FIRST place and most important!!! start is a head unit that sounds good, because if you start with a amp or speakers and neglect your head unit and leave a crap unit you are AMPLIFING and ultimatly hearing crap sound. Start good - amplify good - hear good!!:D

2nd your 4 channel amp can run a large number of speakers but you have to monitor the OHMS. this is key because if you over draw the amp you will get "clipping" (choppy sounds) from the system at high volume and it overheats and will eventually damage the amp, but if you maintain your 4 ohm system you can run it pretty hard with a multitude of speakers (10+). Just make sure when you buy them you get all the same ohm and wire them correctly.

3rd your tweeters CAN handle alot of power, the problem gets to being that they will overpower the other mids/highs when amplified alone, personally I would run them on a channel WITH the 6.5s and that would leave another channel on the amp for speaker seperation. The HK head unit doesnt offer Front/back/left/right like an aftermarket, and depending on the head unit you may not even need to amplify the tweets, just run them of the head.(unless they are seperates)

hope my $.02 helps

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there are a few questions that I can answer here.

The FIRST place and most important!!! start is a head unit that sounds good, because if you start with a amp or speakers and neglect your head unit and leave a crap unit you are AMPLIFING and ultimatly hearing crap sound. Start good - amplify good - hear good!!:D

2nd your 4 channel amp can run a large number of speakers but you have to monitor the OHMS. this is key because if you over draw the amp you will get "clipping" (choppy sounds) from the system at high volume and it overheats and will eventually damage the amp, but if you maintain your 4 ohm system you can run it pretty hard with a multitude of speakers (10+). Just make sure when you buy them you get all the same ohm and wire them correctly.

3rd your tweeters CAN handle alot of power, the problem gets to being that they will overpower the other mids/highs when amplified alone, personally I would run them on a channel WITH the 6.5s and that would leave another channel on the amp for speaker seperation. The HK head unit doesnt offer Front/back/left/right like an aftermarket, and depending on the head unit you may not even need to amplify the tweets, just run them of the head.(unless they are seperates)

hope my $.02 helps
Thanks for all the input fellas. I am running a JVC headunit at the moment so I have adjustability. My biggest headache is the amp to power the whole deal and still be able to fit in the fairing. I have 2 PBR 300x2 but Im looking for the best option to get the most out of my set up. The tweeters are rated at 100 watts RMS so Im sure they can take just as much power as the rest of the speakers.

I was eyeing the JL 400/4 and one of the PBRs. Or possibly 2 Picasso 520.4. Being a noob to this Im trying not to buy the same stuff 3 or 4 times.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I'm late on this thread, but I'm running 8 speakers off of 3 hawgwired CS300 amps now, and just recently added a 4th amp, (will discuss later:D), all amps in the fairing. I had the PBRS, they are a nice amp at a good price, but I had issues with the heat and power supply. Personally if I were to go with a lower priced amp now, I'd go with the Soundstream Picasso series because of the class D power supply, and I happen to know they are a good amp. I went with Hawgwired due to previous experience, remote, and great customer service and support. My opinion is only one of many you can read about, but do yourself a favor and do research before you buy, also listen to a few bikes with different systems.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm late on this thread, but I'm running 8 speakers off of 3 hawgwired CS300 amps now, and just recently added a 4th amp, (will discuss later:D), all amps in the fairing. I had the PBRS, they are a nice amp at a good price, but I had issues with the heat and power supply. Personally if I were to go with a lower priced amp now, I'd go with the Soundstream Picasso series because of the class D power supply, and I happen to know they are a good amp. I went with Hawgwired due to previous experience, remote, and great customer service and support. My opinion is only one of many you can read about, but do yourself a favor and do research before you buy, also listen to a few bikes with different systems.

Sent from my SPH-L710
Your running 4 amps? Did you upgrade your Stators or Regulators? Add another battery? That's alot of juice your pumping there,,Must sound pretty sweet.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
No upgrade on electrical system, though I will add a lithium battery is not what you want with this set up, (I found out the hard way :mad: )I believe it sounds pretty good, but I'm thinking about maybe changing something. ....

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
336 Posts
Without any electrical upgrades, are you still getting at least 13.5 -14v from Charging? -I'm not saying your not in any way- But with 4 Amps sucking away,,I could imagine your Stators and Battery are crying for help:D

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have 2 pbr 300x4 amps and love them with my polk speakers.. Now that is it dialed in it is rip your face off awesome!!!

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
Without any electrical upgrades, are you still getting at least 13.5 -14v from Charging? -I'm not saying your not in any way- But with 4 Amps sucking away,,I could imagine your Stators and Battery are crying for help:D
I'm getting about 13.8, (verified with a DVM), if I ever do have a stator or voltage regulator problem, I'll just go with a unit from Cycle Electric.

I have 2 pbr 300x4 amps and love them with my polk speakers.. Now that is it dialed in it is rip your face off awesome!!!
I'm glad you have it dialed in. :D

Sent from my SPH-L710

1 - 20 of 22 Posts