Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever pull an 8' wide trailer? Seems like it would be tough keeping it in the lane.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok watch out for a RoadGlide and a street glide heading to Daytona. Non professionals on a mission.

·
Registered
855 Posts
How long is the trailer? If the length is longer than the width it will want to track straight, but short and wide can get you into a fish-tail pretty quick. Are the wheels closer to the rear of the trailer, or centered? Where is the load placement? near the tongue, center, or rear? All of those variables factor into play...

·
Registered
185 Posts
No problem, I tow wide load office trailers for a living and the 8 wides are not any wider than the mirrors on my F350. Much easier than you think. I also pull 12 wides almost daily and have done a couple of 16 wides:eek: what im getting at is it's MUCH harder than you think to wack someone with the side of the trailer. Go for it!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think it wouldn't be a good idea. Trailers are for boats, not bikes!
It's 40 degrees and we had snow yesterday. How much of that do you ride in?

I don't think it's a big deal trailering to Daytona in February. IMO the mistake is going to Daytona period.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Depends a lot on what you tow it with....

My boat and trailer are 10k and 102" wide. Fine behind an f350.

If it has a bigger profile then the tow vehicle and the vehicle is light then you may have issues tracking in the wind.

ohh...and just ignore the people who won't tow a bike, they should not be posting in this thread.

·
Registered
955 Posts
It's 40 degrees and we had snow yesterday. How much of that do you ride in?

I don't think it's a big deal trailering to Daytona in February. IMO the mistake is going to Daytona period.
I rode across the I-25 Raton Pass at the Colorado/ New Mexico State line in April 2004 in 6" of fresh stuff, at over 12,000'. I didn't even take a long sleeve shirt- wore just my leather jacket with liner, a tee shirt, blue jeans and rain gear/ gloves. Coloradoans think most all Texans are crazy and my plates tipped me off to them. Never forget the looks I got.

So to answer your question, I don't ride in that stuff much. I don't seek it out but I don't shy away from it. And I learned a lesson, be prepared and take proper gear for ANY weather event.

I live in the heat for a reason, I'd hate living in a cold climate. Ever ride in 100+ temps for 5 months out of the year? I do every year. But I'd never trailer to a rally or any destination for that matter. Just goes against everything I stand for. Paying the Weather Gods their pound(s) of flesh makes the good riding that much sweeter.

While we're on the topic of weather, anyone go to the Harley 100th in Milwaukee back in '03? It was a monsoon for 900 miles on my way home, didn't let up until I got to Little Rock. Nothing like hydroplaning at 75 mph to have you living in the moment.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I rode across the I-25 Raton Pass at the Colorado/ New Mexico State line in April 2004 in 6" of fresh stuff, at over 12,000'. I didn't even take a long sleeve shirt- wore just my leather jacket with liner, a tee shirt, blue jeans and rain gear/ gloves. Coloradoans think most all Texans are crazy and my plates tipped me off to them. Never forget the looks I got.

So to answer your question, I don't ride in that stuff much. I don't seek it out but I don't shy away from it. And I learned a lesson, be prepared and take proper gear for ANY weather event.

I live in the heat for a reason, I'd hate living in a cold climate. Ever ride in 100+ temps for 5 months out of the year? I do every year. But I'd never trailer to a rally or any destination for that matter. Just goes against everything I stand for. Paying the Weather Gods their pound(s) of flesh makes the good riding that much sweeter.

While we're on the topic of weather, anyone go to the Harley 100th in Milwaukee back in '03? It was a monsoon for 900 miles on my way home, didn't let up until I got to Little Rock. Nothing like hydroplaning at 75 mph to have you living in the moment.
If the guy wants to haul his bikes in a trailer that's up to him. I don't trailer mine either, but "what I stand for" doesn't include giving somebody a hard time over something as insignificant as hauling their bike in a trailer.

Lighten up, Francis.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Up here in the woods a lot of us have 8 ' or 8'6 wide snowmobile trailers with enclosed covers. Some 24' long or more. Drag em all over the place with everything from mini vans to ton trucks and bigger, although the 1/2 ton club or crewcabs are the perferred weapon of choice. Get some time in hauling it, and after awhile you wont even know its behind you.

Like jtb said, just count the 102x53's going up and down the road. Campers too. No prob.

I'm the master of my domain. If I decided to make the trip south, and it wasnt at least May, My Roadie would be clamped securely in the trailer, no matter what the purists say.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The mirror analogy helped me put the trailer in perspective. Trailering is a choice. If I wanted slack for trailering I would have posted the question on HD forum.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Oops

ohh...and just ignore the people who won't tow a bike, they should not be posting in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, thought this was a motorcycle forum. Maybe he was pulling an 8 foot wide trailer behind his bike, it wasn't specified in the original post.

I shoulda kept quiet. :cool:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Trailers might be for boats but when we spend this kind of money on a bike I sure as heck don't want the road salt and debris to be eating up my chrome or paint. So I'm trailering to Daytona as well.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Just make sure your load is secured well and is distibuted correctly.
+1 on that. I pull a 7x10 enclosed with a nissan xterra without problems. The trailer is wider than the SUV. Not to be a dick but you shouldnt have to worry about anything but your own driving skills. If you think you might be uncomfortable with it hook up to it and do a couple dry runs around town. If you can manage the town youll have no problem on the big slabs. These are just my opinions:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts