Road Glide banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. About a month ago I acquired 2002 Road Glide, w/60 K miles on the clock, from its original owner. The bike is very well taken care and look superb for its age. Not too mention it is running really well.

I am going to Sturgis Rally this year (CA-SD-CA). Knowing that everything on the bike still in its original/stock condition, is it due to have its cam chain tensioner replaced? Obviously with my Sturgis plan I want to keep my expenses down. But I guess if I have to.., well I have to!

The $850.00 quote is from local indy shop. It includes spring loaded cam chain tensioner shoe replacement as well as new shoes, gaskets, o-rings and engine oil change. Plus includes aftermarket adjustable push rods.

Should I do it?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Guesstimate of parts

Zippers chain tensioners..........................159.00
Adjustable pushrods .095 thick wall...........159.00
James cam change gasket set....................42.99
Oil Change and filter, 3 holes fluids.............99.00

Subtotal 459.00

Labor & shop supplies 391.00

850.00 seems reasonable depending on his shop rate, time estimate and the quality of parts being used.

I went to Zippers website because I know they list all the parts you mentioned and it gives you a quick easy retail price to work from.

Something you should really consider is new cams, lifters and cam bearings. For not much more money you could have a whole new cam chest of all the critical parts.

Cams are the expensive part, new bearings are cheap and you are already getting a new set of adjustable pushrods. The camplate has to be removed anyway to replace the tension shoe on the cam side so why not change everything up?

Woods TW 6-6 are an excellent cam for 88" motors that will give you lots of torque over stock. See Fuelmoto website for description and dyno sheet.

That combination would do you well for cruising to Sturgis and back and give your 5spd trans some kick ass power when it comes to passing.

850.00 for what your getting in quality parts, labor, shop supplies and hopefully a guy that will stand behind what he does and not run if there is a problem he created is a good deal. $391 might seem high for labor and shop supplies too some folks but keeping the lights on, heat in the shop in winter and cool air in the shop in summer, paper towels, loctite blue, grease and tools and a pot of horrible coffee on all cost money. And if you want the indys to be around in the future it has to be profitable for them now.

Calgaryglide

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
3,967 Posts
..... Should I do it?
...... yeah.
.... $850 is a pretty good number for what work you mention.
.... going hydraulic is a good option, but the required parts alone would be about what your indy's gonna charge.
........ i replaced my shoes @ 47K ........ they needed it

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Why not do the work yourself?
Opening up the cam chest isn't that hard to do and if you don't want to go with adjustable pushrod right now you can take the little extra time and pull the stock pushrods out of the top.
I am surprised that you went 60K without having the cam chain tensioner shoes replaced yet. If your bike is running good then just replace the shoes and be done with it.
You should replace the primary chain tensioner shoe too while you're at it.
This would be your cheapest way out you would only need the shoes and gaskets and if you want adjustable pushrods.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your reply guys. Looks like I can get better deal at a more "legitimate" indy shop. They quoted me at $435.00+.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Guesstimate of parts

Zippers chain tensioners..........................159.00
Adjustable pushrods .095 thick wall...........159.00
James cam change gasket set....................42.99
Oil Change and filter, 3 holes fluids.............99.00

Subtotal 459.00

Labor & shop supplies 391.00

850.00 seems reasonable depending on his shop rate, time estimate and the quality of parts being used.

I went to Zippers website because I know they list all the parts you mentioned and it gives you a quick easy retail price to work from.

Something you should really consider is new cams, lifters and cam bearings. For not much more money you could have a whole new cam chest of all the critical parts.

Cams are the expensive part, new bearings are cheap and you are already getting a new set of adjustable pushrods. The camplate has to be removed anyway to replace the tension shoe on the cam side so why not change everything up?

Woods TW 6-6 are an excellent cam for 88" motors that will give you lots of torque over stock. See Fuelmoto website for description and dyno sheet.

That combination would do you well for cruising to Sturgis and back and give your 5spd trans some kick ass power when it comes to passing.

850.00 for what your getting in quality parts, labor, shop supplies and hopefully a guy that will stand behind what he does and not run if there is a problem he created is a good deal. $391 might seem high for labor and shop supplies too some folks but keeping the lights on, heat in the shop in winter and cool air in the shop in summer, paper towels, loctite blue, grease and tools and a pot of horrible coffee on all cost money. And if you want the indys to be around in the future it has to be profitable for them now.

Calgaryglide
I just paid over a grand for parts alone to upgrade my cam chest. Haven't even bought the cam kit yet 😂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts