Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is re doing his top end, 2004 Electra Glide Carb bike.
He ran across a deal for what he was told were 88" heads and cylinders with pistons, etc.
So it turns out that the parts are from a 96" motor. There are only 500 miles on the parts and he still wants to use them if possible so my question is, what problems will we run into? I already know that the intake flanges are different and they are ordered...

Sent from my coal fired pay phone

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Not unless you swap out the wheel set too. But with that said he could use the jugs and have them refinished. Then just buy pistons.

The only issue I would see with that is the spigot bore depth. Some early twin cams have shallow spigot holes.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
The only difference between the 88 ci and the 96 ci is the stroke when it comes to the jugs and pistons the 96 ci pistons and jugs are identical to the 88 ci big bore kit. If I remember correctly The 96 ci jugs and pistons will bring the engine up to a 93 ci engine which was the big bore kit offered by HD, you will not get 96 ci out of those jugs and pistons because of the difference in the stroke.
The heads will work but the exhaust flanges are different if I remember correctly. But you may be able to get a exhaust from a 96 ci touring bike and use that.
The 96 ci heads have the mount for the top motor mount turnbuckle but with the older bike you don't have that mount so you can leave that alone.
In other word everything will bolt up and work except for the exhaust and a 96 ci exhaust from a touring model should work with little or no modifications. JMO

Mark

Reactions: Oclaf

·
Registered
10 Posts
^ close. The stock 88 bore and stock 96 bore are both 3.75". The 88 stroke is 4" and the 96 stroke is 4.375". The stock 103 cylinders are a 3.875" bore and putting these on a stock 88 will yield a 95". So your cylinders are interchangeable, another thing I would worry about is head volume if you use the 96" heads, I'm not sure how they compare to the 88's without looking it up again. Maybe it's the same head and all Harley did from the factory is a different piston, not sure.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
I used a pair of 88 ci performance heads on my 08 with a 103 build. I had to have the heads machined for the top motor mount but they worked fine. The heads also worked with my 96 ci exhaust .
I still have those heads and they are just sitting in my storage unit in the box. I also have a 08 V&H true duel exhaust sitting in storage.

Mark

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. We'll be slapping it together today so I'll let you know how it works out. It appears that the 96" heads will flow better. They seem to have bigger valves, stronger beehive type springs and larger ports. Worried mostly about the intake mating up. We'll see shortly.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update
Well, you can't use the 96" pistons (height difference) and the intake flanges are different ( have to use 96" flanges) but the heads and cylinders seem to work 100%.
Thanks to all for the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts