Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the realistic lifespan of my stage one TC88? Or any of the TC's? I never pull full throttle much less ever rev to 4000rpm. I always get my service done as prescribed, and judging by the paperwork that came with my bike, prev. owner did the same. I just wondered cause I have a friend who had a '98 EG stage one and had 140k on the odometer when he sold it and it still ran beautifully, and he never had to do anything to the motor. I'm at 52k+ now BTW.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have 101k on my 04 and it is still running strong. I changed out the oil pump just before the 100k mark as the pressure was drooping below 32 on the gauge. I have no idea what I'll get out of it but I have no plans on getting rid of her anytime soon. The bike has run on regular Harley 20/50 oil and premium plus in tranny and primary since new.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 02 RG is decently built and I ride her hard, sometimes. Shes at 63k right now and aside from valve noise from heavy springs, which is expected, she runs great. Most of these Harleys will go for well over 100k IF theyre taken care of.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
There's thousands of the twin cams out there with well over 100k on them and still going strong. Change the oil regularly and don't beat the crap out of it and it will last for many miles.

P

·
0 Posts
just like any motor,proper maintenence and not beating the snot out of it,it will easily go 100K+,certain things I would do for peace of mind would be a inner bearing change to torringtons & a gear drive cam set up (the INA bearings and stock tensioners/cam chain is the big weak link in the 88" motors)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Whats the realistic lifespan of my stage one TC88? Or any of the TC's? I never pull full throttle much less ever rev to 4000rpm. I always get my service done as prescribed, and judging by the paperwork that came with my bike, prev. owner did the same. I just wondered cause I have a friend who had a '98 EG stage one and had 140k on the odometer when he sold it and it still ran beautifully, and he never had to do anything to the motor. I'm at 52k+ now BTW.
What is to wear out that cannot be fixed or replaced?
i don't know of any such thing on a Harley.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thanks folks, that makes me feel pretty good. One thing I did want to do was update the oil pump and the other valve train components.

RIDE ON!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Had one come in a while back with over 130,000 on it.
Needed some attention, and at that point, bored his cyls to 95", and installed a set of 203 take-off cams.
Last we heard, he had over 180,000 on it.:)
Scott

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow that's awesome. i'd be stoked to get to 80 or 90,000. gonna get one more service done on it before the move to Florida and have them install an oil cooler if they wont charge me too much for labor, since they'll be there anyhow, if so ill do it myself.

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts
I have a friend with a 99 EG, his odometer broke a few years ago with 106k, so no telling how many miles the bike has now, but I'd bet it will still outlast the stock engines they're making now, his bike runs like a well tuned machine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
wellll - good for ya'll - but, heres my story - 05 rg - 32,000 - had knocking sound - my local h-d mechanic didn't/couldn't/want to find the problem - took
it to a indie - as soon as he heard the sound, he knew what it was - as of
the morning (fri) it has a inside cam bearing go bad - the cam was spinning
but the bearing was not !! - so he's still looking at the damage - so far i
need inner bearings and cams - not sure on the outer bearings yet - he's also
checking the crank run out - i'm 62 , change redline oil 20/50 hd every 2500 mi
don't abuse or even ride fast - - ha, shows what i know - shudda just gassed
it ......

·
Registered
301 Posts
My lifters came apart at 55000 miles on my 2001 softtail. Real bummer.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Saw a set of soft cams on a 2001 Softail, that the lifter roller had hogged into to.
Yes, the cams were soft(never made it thru heat treating)as you could sink a file into it.
Soft crank pins on early 90's XL's, Evo inner cam bearings fubared, cams marked wrong on Iron XL's, loose rods on 74" Shovels, exhaust valves broken on T/C's, rear cylinders fractured on Shovels, etc, etc.
These are not the norm whatsoever, as we also repair/rebuild a metric ton of bikes here, but have seen this stuff...................and more.
It is to the point, if you can name it, we've probably seen it.
Just another day at the shop.
BTW, the J-C-L shops couldn't field the issues anywhere near as fluidly(if at all) we deal with........:D
Scott

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope to someday have so much knowledge. 30 years is a true testament. Thanks to all who have chimed in. I guess i'll continue to take care of mine and hope for the best.

Ride safe Brothers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts