Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's the story.

A few weeks ago I took my '09 in and replaced the original battery. It had the "Gel Cell" and really good. Had lasted over 5 years and 88K miles.
When at the Dealer, they saw seepage around the cylinder bases, and recommended I bring it back.
Lately I have noticed the motor had started to use oil. It still ran good. So with 88k, I must just need new rings.
As I have the ESP, I saw no reason not to have the base gaskets replaced. And while they had the cylinders off, I would pay for new rings. Money saved.
The agreed, so I left my RG at the dealer yesterday.

This afternoon, I got a call. They said that when they got into the motor, it was sad news. The motor needed a complete rebuild. So they would need the bike for two weeks. The ESP Rep would need to come to inspect the motor and the would order parts needed. I'm just glad I have the ESP.

I will post what was done when I get my RG back.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
88k does seem a bit premature. Do you perform the maintenance regularly, and how do you ride? Also are you sure it really needs to be rebuilt or is the dealer making extra $$$? I don't know your dealer, but it happens. Either way, it's good you have ESP.
I have been riding all of my life. HD for the last 40+ years. Ride Local and distance. Shovels, Evos, and now a Twinkie. I have worked on club rides too. (Flatheads and Pans too)

Bought new and got the "Pre-Paid Service" for first 60K. After that I do my own service. I use only Synthetic Oil and change oil/filter every 5K. As I said, ran great riding into the dealer. I just started using oil within the last year.

I did wonder if the dealer just needed work in the slow season?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been seeing stock 103" motors for sale online. Super low miles go for $1800-2400 . Some with just a few hundred miles on them. If your having to pay outta pocket that would be a way cheaper route to go.
I have ESP on my 96". Only cost me $50. So I'm covered.
Also I have not touched the motor. It is completely stock. Only change I made was the Stage One installed by dealer.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Breaking in New Motor

Well, I got my bike back a few weeks ago. It is a total motor rebuild. The cylinders were bored .010 over and heads reworked. I paid to have the machine work done in Memphis, so I paid for the shipment, that was not covered by the ESP. The entire guts of the motor were replaced. Stroker crank assembly, oil pump plus parts. The only things not replaced were the adjustable push rods, and the cases.

Besides the motor work was the primary resealed and they said there was a leak on the alternator plug. So they replaced the stator too. The only thing that was recommended was the clutch had burned plates and worn pads. I paid for a Screaming Eagle Clutch Pak.

Total cost added up on the receipt was $3622.My part was the $50 deductible and the clutch pak. Total cost was $218. I figure I got a great deal for a new motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.