1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Just too big for my liking, I mean way too big.

Reactions: geo8866 and Mike U

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just too big for my liking, I mean way too big.
I hear ya... yet I’m drawn to them. It’s like, I know they are so big they can’t be real, but I can’t help but smile and drool a little when I look at them. I can’t help but think that if I had a nice set of 8s right in front of me I’d finally capture that audio unicorn and have more sound than I could want on the highway.

Don’t get me wrong, my current setup is very satisfying. But sometimes I get on the highway with the sun at my back, the wind in my face and I’m just completely present and the music playlist is perfect. I’m rock’in out or maybe just a chillin playlist and I want to get just a couple more DBs... maybe just one or two more clicks up on the volume, but I’ve peaked the speakers so I’ve got to pull back just a little.

Then again, I’m sure I’d find myself in the same situation with these and then I’ll be looking at swapping my lid setup for another set of 8s... then swap the lowers for another set of 8s... LOL

After I finish the air ride and fat tire kit when they arrive next week or so I’ll see if I’m still lusting after these big beauties. Would LOVE to hear from anyone that might have 8s up front already though.

Reactions: Bevis

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have looked at this fairing a number of times and have thought about it. Right now, I have the Rockford Fosgate fairing speakers and saddlebag cut ins. It's loud and sounds really good to me, even with my full face helmet. Recently, I've been installing a lot of Soundz brand setups (have to go in early today to install one) and have been very impressed. Their speakers have a lot of clarity and punch for being 6.5"s and 6x9"s. I did one customer's bike with 6.5" Carbons in the fairing, 6.5" carbons in the lowers, 6.5" carbons in the tourpack and 6x9"s in the saddlebag lids. VERY loud and clear and the customer didn't lose his gloveboxes or any real saddlebag space.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
If your asking, too much in my opinion. Like crazy4ink said, there are other ways to get there.

Your bike looks killer as is, sometimes less is more.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Local audio shop likes putting them in the large vertical flat space where the inner fairing faces the steering head. They're discreet, yet there, and no storage space is lost. It also sounds really good from the parking lot demo they did at bike night.

Reactions: Skye120

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
My opinion, good for a comp bike, not so much for a rider. If you want more give Da Funk Shop or Lucky 7 a call. You won't want any more when they get done, but it takes some coin.

As for Soundz, I heard them this morning again at the dealer, they had a tent outside. Sounds ok, but for the price no dam way. Their price of their 2 top level speakers are in the ball park with Beyma price. And they are not on Beyma level, not close.

If you want to go all out, give those 2 companies a call.

Oh, and the unicorn is never caught!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My opinion, good for a comp bike, not so much for a rider. If you want more give Da Funk Shop or Lucky 7 a call. You won't want any more when they get done, but it takes some coin.

As for Soundz, I heard them this morning again at the dealer, they had a tent outside. Sounds ok, but for the price no dam way. Their price of their 2 top level speakers are in the ball park with Beyma price. And they are not on Beyma level, not close.

If you want to go all out, give those 2 companies a call.

Oh, and the unicorn is never caught!
I’m pretty sure that my current setup is already as good or better than the Soundz platform, or any other six speaker setup for that matter.

I was just thinking that more speaker surface area (just over 17 inches more at 50.27 inches vs 33.18 inches - which is just over 50% more surface area) AND the fact that the 8s I would be looking at can handle more power than my current (and most) 6.5s will result in noticeably increased volume capabilities before reaching speaker limits and also increased clarity at higher volumes.

Your point about never catching the Unicorn however, I cannot argue with. If the pros at Da Funk and Lucky 7 are still reaching I’m sure not catching it with two 8s; two 6.5s; two 6x9s and two ST25 teeters - LOL

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I’m pretty sure that my current setup is already as good or better than the Soundz platform, or any other six speaker setup for that matter.

I was just thinking that more speaker surface area (just over 17 inches more at 50.27 inches vs 33.18 inches - which is just over 50% more surface area) AND the fact that the 8s I would be looking at can handle more power than my current (and most) 6.5s will result in noticeably increased volume capabilities before reaching speaker limits and also increased clarity at higher volumes.

Your point about never catching the Unicorn however, I cannot argue with. If the pros at Da Funk and Lucky 7 are still reaching I’m sure not catching it with two 8s; two 6.5s; two 6x9s and two ST25 teeters - LOL
Tuning brother. All the heavy hitters will tell you, tuning. Not so much what brand speakers, or amps, tuning. One of the huge advantages the Pros have is how to tune it all to perfection. Just like a engine build, all parts must work together. Then, if the tune is spot on, you reap the benefits. If the tune is off, runs like crap. Same deal.
I was fortunate enough to have a guy send me a tune for my lid speakers. Phenomenal difference! I would love to learn the "How" on the tuning all of this stuff. It is definitely a art that you just don't pick up a book or read a article and know what the hell is going on.
Before you go changing anything, might want to see about tuning what you have. Just a suggestion.

Reactions: Bevis and Mike U

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tuning brother. All the heavy hitters will tell you, tuning. Not so much what brand speakers, or amps, tuning. One of the huge advantages the Pros have is how to tune it all to perfection. Just like a engine build, all parts must work together. Then, if the tune is spot on, you reap the benefits. If the tune is off, runs like crap. Same deal.
I was fortunate enough to have a guy send me a tune for my lid speakers. Phenomenal difference! I would love to learn the "How" on the tuning all of this stuff. It is definitely a art that you just don't pick up a book or read a article and know what the hell is going on.
Before you go changing anything, might want to see about tuning what you have. Just a suggestion.

I hear ya! I have a DSR1 that the good folks at American Hardbags setup for me when I ordered all the components in the system. I’d still be messing with all the setting options trying to get it even close if I had to do it myself.

Believe me guys, the interest in adding these 8s isn’t that my current setup isn’t solid. It’s far and away the best I’ve had. They guys I ride with joke that if they are behind me they just turn their stereos off and listen to mine. It isn’t that what I have isn’t good. It’s that 8s in theory should be even better. It’s also that I haven’t seen then in any bikes around here, and I’m a fan of being different. Not something I’m going to run out and order today, but something I’m mulling around as something I might add after I’m done with the air ride and fat front tire.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I love these pods. Thinking of adding these with a set of beyma coax’s to my bike especially after i saw the new soundigital amps that will be released next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I hear ya! I have a DSR1 that the good folks at American Hardbags setup for me when I ordered all the components in the system. I’d still be messing with all the setting options trying to get it even close if I had to do it myself.

Believe me guys, the interest in adding these 8s isn’t that my current setup isn’t solid. It’s far and away the best I’ve had. They guys I ride with joke that if they are behind me they just turn their stereos off and listen to mine. It isn’t that what I have isn’t good. It’s that 8s in theory should be even better. It’s also that I haven’t seen then in any bikes around here, and I’m a fan of being different. Not something I’m going to run out and order today, but something I’m mulling around as something I might add after I’m done with the air ride and fat front tire.
I would really have to see them in person for it to change my thoughts on them.
Your theory could be correct, only one way to find out!
Are you running more then 1 amp now?

The size of those new SD amps is crazy! They could knock it out of the park with them!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
My 8’s are going to be powered by Biketronics BT4180 Amps.
Awesome you are going out of the box and putting 8s there. What else you have in your system? BT amp is a interesting choice

1 - 20 of 31 Posts