Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just ordered the CVO backrest. Lol. Man they're quick with responses. I shot him a message through his website and wasn't 2 minutes he replied with his cell number to make it easier. I shot him a pick of my seat because I want the pad the have the tan stitching. Harley dont make one. But they have one close. I'll order that at the dealer. I get 15% off and have a 50.00 gift card. I'll stain the white stitching with tea bags. Should be close enough.

That ride home from Gettysburg was rough. Usually on my long trips I use my tour bag sitting on the back seat. But I realized I need on all the time. Getting old sucks. I had one on my 08 for 7 years. Then my 11 but never added one to the 16. That's about to change.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
So, I just ordered the CVO backrest. Lol. Man they're quick with responses. I shot him a message through his website and wasn't 2 minutes he replied with his cell number to make it easier. I shot him a pick of my seat because I want the pad the have the tan stitching. Harley dont make one. But they have one close. I'll order that at the dealer. I get 15% off and have a 50.00 gift card. I'll stain the white stitching with tea bags. Should be close enough.

That ride home from Gettysburg was rough. Usually on my long trips I use my tour bag sitting on the back seat. But I realized I need on all the time. Getting old sucks. I had one on my 08 for 7 years. Then my 11 but never added one to the 16. That's about to change.
Which company are you talking about? I don't see it in your post. Thanks

·
Registered
765 Posts
They work really well for the CVO seats. Picked one up with the new CVO and got H-D pad with orange stitching to match.

Only problem is I don’t like the CVO seat. It’s fine around town but my Corbin is much better for anything over 75 miles. At least the backrest made the seat slightly more comfortable. Will be putting the backrest in the classifieds shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
773 Posts
DUDE, @RFG7680... I've had one on all my bikes for the last 20 yrs..... I'm only 55 and am not OLD.....LMFAO..... COMFORT over LOOKS..... i always say.

Reactions: vring

·
Registered
188 Posts

Pushing 70 and just put a rider back rest on this spring. Wow what a help. Should a did it years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
For me the rider backrest has pluses and minuses. The plus is the support it provides, but the minus is that bumps are directly transferred to my lower back. If I get back to riding for longer than an hour between breaks I am going to try a Back-A-Line brace to help me keep my posture.

·
Registered
188 Posts
For me the rider backrest has pluses and minuses. The plus is the support it provides, but the minus is that bumps are directly transferred to my lower back. If I get back to riding for longer than an hour between breaks I am going to try a Back-A-Line brace to help me keep my posture.

I guess I'll see how the back rest works on the ride to and from Sturgis this year

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ran the Mustang Vintage wide solo with the backrest for 7 years on my 08 SG. The the RGU had one. I have not put one on this bike because of how it would take away from the lines of the bike. But I'm over that now. Lol.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I ran the Mustang Vintage wide solo with the backrest for 7 years on my 08 SG. The the RGU had one. I have not put one on this bike because of how it would take away from the lines of the bike. But I'm over that now. Lol.

Get that, that's why I never put one on my bikes before--didn't really like the look--but ya know with a few extra years on the bod a little extra support kinda helps

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've always had a backrest. I won't buy the bike without one. I'm riding the Ultra so it might be a little different from your setup, but I don't have a problem like you are describing. I've got Harley's adjustable backrest. Using a lever, I can adjust forward and backward, where I want it to be. It is also spring loaded, so it will fold forward and down to the seat, so you can swing a leg over it (if that's what you want to do).

What's considered old? I'm sure Butch will think I'm just a kid at 59.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I've always had a backrest. I won't buy the bike without one. I'm riding the Ultra so it might be a little different from your setup, but I don't have a problem like you are describing. I've got Harley's adjustable backrest. Using a lever, I can adjust forward and backward, where I want it to be. It is also spring loaded, so it will fold forward and down to the seat, so you can swing a leg over it (if that's what you want to do).

What's considered old? I'm sure Butch will think I'm just a kid at 59.
cr

I prefer to load up my T-bag with clothes and a pillow to provide more like a seat back when I am on long rides. I have had backrests on cruiser style bikes and have one for my Corbin Dual tour. With my lumbar having no cushion left I find the backrest more jarring when going over bumps. The T-bag absorbs and distributes the support better.

I concentrate on my posture and tend to sit further back in the seat so I am sitting more upright instead of having a curved back.

Age has nothing to do with being out of shape or having an injury. I know guys in their 70s that are still hooligans on motorcycles.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cr

I prefer to load up my T-bag with clothes and a pillow to provide more like a seat back when I am on long rides. I have had backrests on cruiser style bikes and have one for my Corbin Dual tour. With my lumbar having no cushion left I find the backrest more jarring when going over bumps. The T-bag absorbs and distributes the support better.

I concentrate on my posture and tend to sit further back in the seat so I am sitting more upright instead of having a curved back.

Age has nothing to do with being out of shape or having an injury. I know guys in their 70s that are still hooligans on motorcycles.
I do that for my long trips too. I have a kury your tourbag and I put it on the back seat and lean back into it. And I use my Hammock seat.

This is for anything under 500 miles. And bopping around town. My going to the corner for a coffee is usually no less than 150 miles.

·
Registered
188 Posts
cr

I hear ya. I feel pretty fortunate knocking on the door of 70 that I can still handle a half ton bike and do 3000 + mile trips.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I do that for my long trips too. I have a kury your tourbag and I put it on the back seat and lean back into it. And I use my Hammock seat.

This is for anything under 500 miles. And bopping around town. My going to the corner for a coffee is usually no less than 150 miles.
when i first got my mustang vintage seat w/backrest i felt too confined so i bought an offset post. makes a big difference!

https://www.mustangseats.com/ProductImages.aspx?intProductID=85

like you said, the t-bags work great sitting on a back seat for touring.
i mounted an old backrest from the heritage onto the new detachable backrest frame to fit the t-bag pouch that holds it in position.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts