Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently installed a set of 944's (lighter spring) on my 2012 RGC CVO. The install was very easy and straight forward. I set the sag as recommended by Progressive and went for a ride.

This is what I discovered, the ride was plush over rolling dips and bumps. But when it came to drop offs like a pothole or sewer lid they are horrible. The HD shocks I took off handle this better.

I weigh in at 180 geared up. I could not achieve a 2" sag at my weight, so they are dialed in at the lightest setting. But here is the funny thing the springs feel to stiff and I still bottomed out twice in a very short ride.

So I emailed Progressive several times and got an answer about 10 days later. We went back and forth through email for 2 days and they asked me to send some photos. The last word I got was our engineers are looking into it. So here are the phots I sent, which in all fairness I am waiting on a reply.

If they cannot offer a solution - well I think I was better of with stock and should had went elsewhere with my $$$.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Smokey, I also have the 944s. I weigh in at about 230 so I went with the HD springs knowing that I was on the borderline and they would be stiffer. I primarily did this because I sometimes ride 2 up. Originally I could not get the recommended sag either and I contributed this to being on the borderline for the HD springs .... mine are also set on the lowest preload possible. My initial ride thoughts were that they were much stiffer than expected. However, mine handled sharp jolts exceptionally well. After a while i did not notice the stiffness and a few thousand miles later I rechecked the sag, now I am almost at the recommended sag so the springs appeared as though they have settled in a little. My story probably doesn't help you any, but I have never bottomed out with mine (I had with the original shocks) and I feel that the stability is much better. I hope you get your issues worked out with yours

·
Registered
137 Posts
Smokey, I also have the 944s. I weigh in at about 230 so I went with the HD springs knowing that I was on the borderline and they would be stiffer. I primarily did this because I sometimes ride 2 up. Originally I could not get the recommended sag either and I contributed this to being on the borderline for the HD springs .... mine are also set on the lowest preload possible. My initial ride thoughts were that they were much stiffer than expected. However, mine handled sharp jolts exceptionally well. After a while i did not notice the stiffness and a few thousand miles later I rechecked the sag, now I am almost at the recommended sag so the springs appeared as though they have settled in a little. My story probably doesn't help you any, but I have never bottomed out with mine (I had with the original shocks) and I feel that the stability is much better. I hope you get your issues worked out with yours
I have had the same experience as Gibson. I feel these shocks give a much superior ride over the stock shocks. My bike feels much more stable on rough roads and when cornering. Progressive is a good company and will make it right if your shocks are defective.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had the same experience as Gibson. I feel these shocks give a much superior ride over the stock shocks. My bike feels much more stable on rough roads and when cornering. Progressive is a good company and will make it right if your shocks are defective.
This is all reassuring. Progressive has asked me to find out where it rubbed, i have looked and see nothing.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I dont have the newer 944 but have been running the 940 for a few years now and love them but I did have to have Progressive help me out to get them right. I ended up with lighter springs installed by progressive and do have the recommended amount of SAG, almost never bottom and use the full amount of travel. The handling and ride are much better than stock. They do break in and it takes about 500 miles to get them to start to break in

I dont know who your dealing with but if you can try to talk with Frank in Progressive Tech, he was very helpful in my case.

Also i noticed that you have a CVO, you stock hand Adjustable shocks are much better that the stock air shocks and IMO the progressives are only a little better than the 944. I always suggest to my friends from better to best
HD hand Adjustable about 400
Progressive 940-944 about 500
Terry cable about 550
Ohlins or JRI

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I'm 195lbs and tried running with zero preload. Plush as hell but holyshit scary in the high speed sweepers, wallowing like a mofo. Tooo soft.

I systematically cranked preload to the point I am at 4 index marks and I find the handling a 100x better, but not great. I believe it's the diff between under damped stock fork and the 944s in the rear. I realize now I should have gotten the Heavy Duty versions. I like a firm ride.

Try crankin your preload to 2 marks and see if it's better. I bottomed out a bit with zero preload. Funny thing, when I first really nailed it in a straight line bangin 2nd gear I swore the front end came off the ground... After thinking about it realized it was more than likely the squat. :eek:

BTW I feel the stock air shocks are pure garbage on an FLTRX. May be ok for you Ultra guys, but the shorty shock bottoms or tops out standing still...

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it is Frank from Progressive who is helping me out. He asked if I was sure it was not the belt, any idea why he might ask about the belt???

My reply was the bike just came out of service and only has 6.5K on it.

I certainly have not had the time to put so many miles on the bike. Maybe this spring, but I would like ot sort it out before the riding season is in again.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The springs are just to carry the weight of the bike,people and gear. Compression and rebound adjustments control the ride and handling.
Care to provide more detail as it relates to my situation...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Care to provide more detail as it relates to my situation...
Sag: set your sag to 1/3 the stroke. For example, if the shock has three inches of travel then The sag would be set to one inch. This would be measured with rider and normal gear on the bike.

Rebound: is how fast the shock extends back out after it collapses. To little rebound and the shock will pogo, to much and the shock won't extend back out quick enough for the next bump. Once rebound is set generally you want to leave it alone and deal with any added weight with compression.

Compression: basically the amount of force to collapse the shock. To much and the bike rides stiff, to little and the bike bottoms out or wallows.

Compression and rebound are controlled with valving and oil transfer through them.

·
Registered
614 Posts
dampening is not adjustable with the 944, shocks like some of the Ohlins and JRI and Works ect have adjustment.

The 940/944 are a good improvement over the stock shocks HD come with but by no means are they top premium shocks lke Ohlins or JRI. if you can get the spring rates (preload) set to your riding they work well and are a big improvement. With some of the 940/944 Ive seen people have problems getting them dialed in due to the dual springs that allow the additional sag (13" shock that sits at a 12" height) on my 940 Frank ended up swapping the 2 spring set up for a single spring and they work great for my 210lb weight. I have them at 2 clicks preload adjustment. My bike does not sit quite as low as it did with the dual springs because it does not have that flat coil spacer spring any longer that provides the initial sag based on the bikes weight but it sits lower than stock 13' shocks and has about 1.25" sag when Im on it. Only bottoms on big potholes,bumps and over all rides and handles well using all of the avail travel. (try the zip tie trick on the damper rod to see if you are bottoming or using all available travel)

·
Registered
809 Posts
dampening is not adjustable with the 944, shocks like some of the Ohlins and JRI and Works ect have adjustment.

The 940/944 are a good improvement over the stock shocks HD come with but by no means are they top premium shocks lke Ohlins or JRI. if you can get the spring rates (preload) set to your riding they work well and are a big improvement. With some of the 940/944 Ive seen people have problems getting them dialed in due to the dual springs that allow the additional sag (13" shock that sits at a 12" height) on my 940 Frank ended up swapping the 2 spring set up for a single spring and they work great for my 210lb weight. I have them at 2 clicks preload adjustment. My bike does not sit quite as low as it did with the dual springs because it does not have that flat coil spacer spring any longer that provides the initial sag based on the bikes weight but it sits lower than stock 13' shocks and has about 1.25" sag when Im on it. Only bottoms on big potholes,bumps and over all rides and handles well using all of the avail travel. (try the zip tie trick on the damper rod to see if you are bottoming or using all available travel)
I went and looked them up and you are correct, they are using the spring to control compression. I assumed from the cost of a set they had more adjustability then they do. Sorry for the bad info.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So i got my monotubes in and now I have a completely different opinion on the 944's. The bike rides and handle so much better since installing the monotubes. I got the standard height and left all 4 spacers out(2 per side).

Love it!

·
Registered
723 Posts
So i got my monotubes in and now I have a completely different opinion on the 944's. The bike rides and handle so much better since installing the monotubes. I got the standard height and left all 4 spacers out(2 per side).

Love it!
I was going to ask if you had the Mono-tubes but you just answered the questions. It make a bigger difference than the rear alone. In my opinion they should be done together or do the monotube 1st as they have the most effect on the ride.

I too had a too firm ride. I sent mine back in and they put a lighter spring in them. I still use no pre-load to get the proper sag when riding solo and 3 turns when 2 up or loaded for a long trip. (IE camping gear and luggage.)and 4 turns when 2-up and loaded.

Progressive told me that anyone under 200 lbs would probable need the lighter springs.

·
Registered
614 Posts

Love it!
Great news! I agree that the overall suspension is marginal and to get the bike balanced and handling better both the front and rear need to be addressed.

Get out there and put some miles on it now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts