Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been restoring a 58 Apache that I picked up June 2019. I bought it from a coworker who owned it for 30 years but didn't want the cost of a restoration which it badly needed. Truck ran and drove when purchased. Hoping to have it complete by end of this summer. Plan is for it to be a daily driver, leaving it stock other than color (Going Laguna Blue no chrome all blacked out), wheels (6 lug Corvette Rallies), swapping the three on a tree for a Camaro 5 Speed, disc brakes, aluminum intake/2 barrel Webber carb, and headers/dual exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll post a few replies with pics of some of the progress. Every nut and bolt will be refurbished or replaced when done.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
looks like a big project. Can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Great color choices! Looks like a fun project. I have a 1965 Ford F350 that I don't have time to restore right now.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I just love those older Chev truck body styles. It will be a great daily driver, I wish to own something similar one day - when all my little ones are gone and I no longer have the need for a back seat

·
Registered
355 Posts
Wow, what a awesome truck! And looks like your doing it up right too. As kind of a old truck nut myself, I’m very interested in see the progress and especially the finished truck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That truck's got a lot of inherent style. It'll be fun to watch your progress so I hope you keep posting along the way.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Nice. Keep the pics comin.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,406 Posts
Is that the original engine painted orange, or a later replacement?
You're right, the original 6 banger would have been blue right?

Reactions: Thermodyne

·
8,406 Posts
Great project truck! You obviously have mad skills that go way beyond the average back yard mechanic. I assume you're doing at least the initial body work yourself. I never had access to a welder growing up so I still have 0 skills in that dept. Always hated finish body work, way too much time spent to achieve a decent result.

My '65 Impala resto-mod is almost done. I've got to install the Dynamat and then take it to an upholsterer for a complete interior. Doing the interior mostly stock by using a kit. I also have to source 4 pieces of exterior chrome window molding and the exterior will be done. The mechanicals are basically done but will probably pop for a Hydra-Boost brake unit. The engine is a little too 'warmed over' to create enough vacuum and the brakes stop the car just fine but it has all the 'pedal feel' of pushing on a 2 x 6. I hate to spend the bucks but I'm not about to de-tune the motor to get more boost.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
You're right, the original 6 banger would have been blue right?

Kind of a grey blue IIRC. I think 64 was the first year for an orange straight six in a pick up. There were a bunch of different colors used on truck motors prior to 64, you could almost ID the cubic inch by the color.

The ad-on partial flow oil filter says the motor is older than 63.

·
8,406 Posts
Kind of a grey blue IIRC. I think 64 was the first year for an orange straight six in a pick up. There were a bunch of different colors used on truck motors prior to 64, you could almost ID the cubic inch by the color.
Yeah, I remember that grey color now that you mention it. Every Chebbie product I ever owned was blue if it had a six, and of course orange if it was an 8.

Reactions: Thermodyne

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Yeah, I remember that grey color now that you mention it. Every Chebbie product I ever owned was blue if it had a six, and of course orange if it was an 8.
I always liked the orange. I thought it was kind of crappy when they went to corporate blue so the walking dead wouldn't know that their Pontiac or Olds had a Chevy motor in it.

There was a time in the mid 70's when over 1/2 the cars sold in this country had orange engines. Then some folks cried to Congress about it and people started proposing antitrust actions against GM. Lots of really neat stuff died because of that, and in no small part allowed the Asians to make a lot of head way into the market.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is that the original engine painted orange, or a later replacement?
It is the original 235 that someone painted orange. the original for 58/59 trucks was gray, I have the original paint and valve cover decal for it. It will look like the one pictured.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great project truck! You obviously have mad skills that go way beyond the average back yard mechanic. I assume you're doing at least the initial body work yourself. I never had access to a welder growing up so I still have 0 skills in that dept. Always hated finish body work, way too much time spent to achieve a decent result.

My '65 Impala resto-mod is almost done. I've got to install the Dynamat and then take it to an upholsterer for a complete interior. Doing the interior mostly stock by using a kit. I also have to source 4 pieces of exterior chrome window molding and the exterior will be done. The mechanicals are basically done but will probably pop for a Hydra-Boost brake unit. The engine is a little too 'warmed over' to create enough vacuum and the brakes stop the car just fine but it has all the 'pedal feel' of pushing on a 2 x 6. I hate to spend the bucks but I'm not about to de-tune the motor to get more boost.
I will be doing all of the body work. A buddy/forum member has volunteered to do the paint when ready.

I've followed you 65 build, nice Impala for sure. For your brake issue don't detune the motor, add a vacuum booster. I'm going to run the Leed Brakes Bandit booster (link below) to assist my power disc upgrade.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts