Road Glide banner

1958 Chevy Apache Frame Off Resto

12K views 96 replies 28 participants last post by  168313 
#1 ·
I've been restoring a 58 Apache that I picked up June 2019. I bought it from a coworker who owned it for 30 years but didn't want the cost of a restoration which it badly needed. Truck ran and drove when purchased. Hoping to have it complete by end of this summer. Plan is for it to be a daily driver, leaving it stock other than color (Going Laguna Blue no chrome all blacked out), wheels (6 lug Corvette Rallies), swapping the three on a tree for a Camaro 5 Speed, disc brakes, aluminum intake/2 barrel Webber carb, and headers/dual exhaust.

Attachments

See less See more
#66 ·
#69 ·
I just went through this thread. What an incredible build !! It has to feel good to have done the work yourself. She’s gonna turn some heads and have your coworker shaking his. The truck looks amazing Greg, TOP NOTCH !!

Reactions: Mike U
#74 ·
All the glass and sound proofing is in, interior is complete minus seat and carpet. Final assembly of the bed has started. Couldn’t finish last night because the two outside boards have to be modified today and spar but over the new milled spots. Should be on the road by mid next week.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive design Bumper
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Mode of transport Bumper
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

#77 ·
Nice! Really Really Nice, hell if I was 20 years younger....

#78 ·
Well everything is done except for putting the carpet and seat in. Of course I got kicked in the nuts again, had to pull the motor to fix a cam plug leak. Just when you think your done something bites ya. Hopefully will have the motor, seat and carpet in by the weekend so I can shake it down and work out in last bugs.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Blue
Tire Truck Wheel Vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Blue Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

#79 ·
Thumps up for sure. But your will alway get that one negative response, so lets get it over with from a life long Kentucky
native. Get rid of that God ugly UK decal

Reactions: 168313
#83 ·
The 58 is finally complete minus some small adjustments and tweaks. Had it out yesterday and today shaking it down, put about 200 miles on it. It felt great to actually drive and enjoy the ride. As I’m sure you know it turned a lot of heads and a few stopped me to chat about it.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

The old general store and pumps are a few miles from the house figured it was fitting.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

My daughter and I took it to the Fredericksburg Nationals minor league ball game last night.

#85 ·
Figured I would post a few pictures of the truck cleaned and finished minus the windshield wipers, I'm still fabricating/designing them so they accept a more modern type blade. I will be driving this daily and want a blade that is more than a 10" single strip of rubber.

This has been a great project and personally I love the finished project! I know there are guys that will say why didn't you use an LS engine or at least use fuel injection, just not what I wanted and no other reason.

This truck runs at 80 MPN and 2700 RPM I'm perfectly happy with that. Of course the stock style 58 suspension limits the top end, anything over that, some pumps can throw you into the other lane, I'm ok with that and will drive accordingly and have driven many vehicles this way. I'm good and love all that it offers, you have to know what your doing and pay attention to what's going on. Just like an old school bike you better pay attention, but I like it. Don't ry and text and drive this at 80, guaranteed something will go wrong at some point.
Wheel Tire Car Cloud Sky
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Plant Car Vehicle registration plate Tire
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Blue Automotive tire
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Window Blue
Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive battery Vehicle

#88 ·
I love it, more so with the old school block and carb. You spent a lot of time and knowledge putting this all together, it's impressive! Gonna miss this thread; guess I'll just have to wait for the next build. ;)

#93 ·
Damn that sucks. I guess it could’ve been worse. Glad you didn’t hit it with your bike. Hopefully you’re able to get it repaired pretty quick.

#94 ·
Sorry to hear about Your Great Truck hitting a deer [emoji1662] Brother.
It could have been a lot worse than what it looks [emoji102] like in the photo.
Hopefully You can get it fixed easily.
Keep Us Posted.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.