Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 road glide and I just lost the running lights in the rear. the turn signals still work but the running lights don't. is this a bulb issue? I checked the fuses and no wire brakes that I can see.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Check bulbs, if you have a run, turn, stop module it may have went bad. Now post it a third time to see if you get more replies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is a bulb issue do I have to get them from a dealer? This is my first Harley and not to familiar with it yet. Would the modular be near the fuse box?

·
Registered
397 Posts
You my son, are in need of a genuine workshop manual, for your year and model.
The chance of 2 bulbs blowing at the same time, is highly unlikely, to not going to happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I guess I better go get one. The turn signals still work just not the running lights. I'm guessing I need to go the dealer and get one.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thank you. I guess I better go get one. The turn signals still work just not the running lights. I'm guessing I need to go the dealer and get one.
Probably, unless you can find a second hand one somewhere, ebay, etc

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I'll bet stock is turn only.

Bingo...... you beat me to it.

Pull a bulb and see how many elements it has. If it looks like the bulb below... it's turn signal only, and no running lights. The part number is 68572-64b. In a pinch, you can use an automotive 1156. But since your turn signals work, it's not necessary.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the bulb is different. The numbers on the bulb are r7 ge 199. I know that they were working a few weeks ago. I had someone from work tell me that they went out.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
the bulb is different. The numbers on the bulb are r7 ge 199. I know that they were working a few weeks ago. I had someone from work tell me that they went out.

Then it's not a stock setup if you had running lights. The part number of the bulb I gave in my previous post is the OEM part number for your rear turn signal bulb. And it should only have one element.

The numbers you gave from the bulb is a single element bulb. http://genet.gelighting.com/LightProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=COMMERCIALSPECPAGE&PRODUCTCODE=37986

I just called a friend who has a 98 Road Glide Anniversary. His does not have rear running lights. Just turn signals.

Here's a shot of his 98

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much for your help. I was pulling my hair out wondering what was going on. I also have a little oil leak would you know anything about that? its coming from the top of the motor?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Thank you so much for your help. I was pulling my hair out wondering what was going on. I also have a little oil leak would you know anything about that? its coming from the top of the motor?

The oil leak.... yeah.... it's a 98. You probably just need a new rocker box gasket. It's an Evolution engine, and very easy to work on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The oil leak.... yeah.... it's a 98. You probably just need a new rocker box gasket. It's an Evolution engine, and very easy to work on.
awesome well thanks a lot. I appreciate it. its my first Harley and I love the bike. it just turned 27000 miles anything off hand you think i should look out for?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
awesome well thanks a lot. I appreciate it. its my first Harley and I love the bike. it just turned 27000 miles anything off hand you think i should look out for?

My friend has had his 98 for just over a year. He has had to change the intake seals, rocker cover gaskets, and the stator/regulator. The rest is just normal stuff like tires, plugs, etc.

Evolution motors were one of the most reliable and easiest to work on motors Harley ever produced.

As others have mentioned get a service manual. That's one of the best investments you can make.

And most of all, enjoy your new (to you) bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My friend has had his 98 for just over a year. He has had to change the intake seals, rocker cover gaskets, and the stator/regulator. The rest is just normal stuff like tires, plugs, etc.

Evolution motors were one of the most reliable and easiest to work on motors Harley ever produced.

As others have mentioned get a service manual. That's one of the best investments you can make.

And most of all, enjoy your new (to you) bike.
Well thank you. I will get that for sure. Just glad its nothing to major. Going for a ride tomorrow to the dealer. Thanks again and enjoy yours.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Turn signal bulbs are 1156.
Running light/brake light bulb is a 1157.
On your 98 the brake lights should only work in the tail light on the fender and you should have no running lights in the turn signals, that is the OEM setup.
There is a exception to this and that is if the previous owner put in the run/turn/stop module which turns the stock turn signals into running and brake lights as well as turn signals.
Even if you have the run/turn/brake module in the bike the turn signals bulb will be the 1156 bulb and it is not interchangeable with the 1157 bulb.
If your bike has the run/turn brake module and the running lights do not work it would be a good place to start looking. Remove the module and plug in the rear light harness without the module and see if the tail light has a running light if it does then the module is bad and the module should be eliminated or replaced.
If there is still no running lights check the wire harness under the fender it may have sagged down and rubbed on the tire breaking the wires. Then check the ground wires and your positive wire with a multimeter for power.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ironmark hit the nail on the head. If you have a Run Turn Brake module it will be a small black box under the seat set up inline with the rear light connector.

Make sure you take the time to let the bike warm up before getting on it hard. The base gaskets will tend to start leaking. That is a bit of a project to do, and the replacement gaskets should last the life of the bike. Other than that keep it lubricated. The Evolution motor is a great motor, and damn near bulletproof.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts