Road Glide banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took advantage of the warm days for my first ride on the Guzzi.
I had shoveled/salted a pathway outlet from the barn in preparation before the warm day arrived. Got the bike out with no issues, something I couldn't do with the Roadglide. I donned my heated socks, gloves and jacket liner. Started the bike and plugged in. Put on the balaclava and helmet, all set.
I live on a main route so since this is the first ride I decided to stay in the lane on my side of the road even though my destination was the other way. A 1/4 mile up the road I had to pull over and buckle my helmet. I turned off the main road and cruised the farm lands to head for the Post office . The Guzzi is cool. It putts along nicely and is quite torquey. I have to get used to the lighter bike and wearing all the added gear doesn't help.
Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

I stopped and took 2 pictures - it was painless. This is at the top of the hill a 1/2 mile from home, my daily ride to the main road. I got to the post office, mailed some stuff and back to the bike - I had left the key in it and on too. I had use the kill switch to shut it off.
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Next destination was a Thai restaurant about 10 miles away for lunch. I rode some nice twisty back roads out to the main route and as soon as I hit about 50 mph my helmet blew off. "Damn, again!" The guy behind me pulled over and picked it up while I did the easiest u turn with the light bike, thanked him and got on my way again. At the restaurant the sun shone on the bike and it looked like the lights were on. Yup they were, the whole time I was eating. I left the key in it and on... It started right up and I took the long way home.
I am looking forward to warmer days to get used to the bike and decide on some needed changes. Leg position and maybe larger foot rests to start.
That evening I ordered a new helmet, maybe I'll get a custom airbrush job on the old one. I think I saw a booth at Gettysburg..
Bob.

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
5,310 Posts
Nice. Sounds like you need to run a strap to that key as a little reminder.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
I'm sure it felt good to get out and ride! What type of helmet were you wearing? 1/2, 3/4? Wondering because I have never had a modular or full face helmet feel like it was going to get sucked off my head even up to 100 mph on a naked bike.

You do know that the protective properties of that helmet are pretty much toast now. I didn't know that 40 years ago. I had a half helmet that came with my first street bike purchase and I would just paint it different colors over the years to match whatever bike I owned. I guess it is a good thing my head never hit the pavement while wearing it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a half helmet and yes, besides it looking like crap now I know it's shot. The air comes up off the little shield and right under the visor of the helmet. It seems that what works good for the Roadglide will be different on the Guzzi

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
They don't have temp plates in motorcycle plate size? I was looking at the photos and was thinking, did he stick a car tag on that bike? LOL!

I zoomed in and noticed that the bike has the Carbon Fiber side panels. Does the plate holding the handlebar to the bike say V7III Carbon xxxx of 1921? If it is a V7III Carbon the previous owner replaced the tank with the chrome one. Mmm.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
It's a half helmet and yes, besides it looking like crap now I know it's shot. The air comes up off the little shield and right under the visor of the helmet. It seems that what works good for the Roadglide will be different on the Guzzi
Even if I wanted to wear an open face helmet on the Moto Guzzi, the insects here are as big as pebbles and ring my ears when they bounce off my Full Face helmet. Same goes for riding without a jacket or gloves.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL, bugs aren't that bad here, but I've taken some big hits through the years. Had a beetle hit me in the nose, my eyes teared so much I had to pull over. The temp plate is from Pennsylvania, good till March. So I got a couple of days on it. I told the dealer not to bother but it's a Pa. law - or something.
The bike is a V7III Carbon Shine and it does have the numbered plate.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
LOL, bugs aren't that bad here, but I've taken some big hits through the years. Had a beetle hit me in the nose, my eyes teared so much I had to pull over. The temp plate is from Pennsylvania, good till March. So I got a couple of days on it. I told the dealer not to bother but it's a Pa. law - or something.
The bike is a V7III Carbon Shine and it does have the numbered plate.
The previous owner certainly made a lot of changes from this.
Wheel Tire Water Sky Fuel tank

Wheels, exhaust, seat, passenger grab rail, knee pads on tank, and red accents.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Another Guzzi owner here(17 Griso 1200) great bike and feels like a mini bike compared to my RGS, in a good light, fast, agile way.
Where are you located? I haven't ridden a Griso, but I coveted this one.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I took advantage of the warm days for my first ride on the Guzzi.
I had shoveled/salted a pathway outlet from the barn in preparation before the warm day arrived. Got the bike out with no issues, something I couldn't do with the Roadglide. I donned my heated socks, gloves and jacket liner. Started the bike and plugged in. Put on the balaclava and helmet, all set.
I live on a main route so since this is the first ride I decided to stay in the lane on my side of the road even though my destination was the other way. A 1/4 mile up the road I had to pull over and buckle my helmet. I turned off the main road and cruised the farm lands to head for the Post office . The Guzzi is cool. It putts along nicely and is quite torquey. I have to get used to the lighter bike and wearing all the added gear doesn't help.
View attachment 437050
I stopped and took 2 pictures - it was painless. This is at the top of the hill a 1/2 mile from home, my daily ride to the main road. I got to the post office, mailed some stuff and back to the bike - I had left the key in it and on too. I had use the kill switch to shut it off.
View attachment 437051
Next destination was a Thai restaurant about 10 miles away for lunch. I rode some nice twisty back roads out to the main route and as soon as I hit about 50 mph my helmet blew off. "Damn, again!" The guy behind me pulled over and picked it up while I did the easiest u turn with the light bike, thanked him and got on my way again. At the restaurant the sun shone on the bike and it looked like the lights were on. Yup they were, the whole time I was eating. I left the key in it and on... It started right up and I took the long way home.
I am looking forward to warmer days to get used to the bike and decide on some needed changes. Leg position and maybe larger foot rests to start.
That evening I ordered a new helmet, maybe I'll get a custom airbrush job on the old one. I think I saw a booth at Gettysburg..
Bob.

Thanks for the pics. Our warm weather brothers don't know how great it feels when Spring time rolls around and you can ditch all the heavy jackets & gloves......Nice bike btw

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree! That looks nice.
I didn't realize how much was done until I googled the bike and saw some pics. He is the type that we Harley riders know all too well. Buy a bike, customize then ride a bit and on to the next one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.