Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have a 06 Roadglide with low miles I picked up two years ago....getting ready to upgrade some parts. I'm going black on the fork legs / cowbells and thought since I'm already in there....might as well upgrade to monotubes...then of course if I'm upgrading the front I might as well go to Progressives in the back....and of course why would I do the front and rear without doing a stabilizing link. Sigh.....That's how it always starts.

So I have the parts in the cart to buy....

Progressive Suspension Stabilizing link
PS 944 Heavy duty shocks
PS Monotubes stock height

I'm 6'4" and 300lbs with gear on and the gfriend is 5'10" 200lbs.....I ride about 70% solo.

My feet sit flat on the ground no problem...but I have to ask...any reason for me to consider other than stock height on the monotubes? I don't care about having the lowered look.....just looking for the best ride possible within my budget.

Anything I'm forgetting that I should do or should know to check while I have it apart? Anything else I should consider getting?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
If you don't care about having a lowered look the stock height monotubes will work well for you. I had the lowered ones (-2") for almost 2 years. I really liked the look but ground clearance was reduced and I couldn't run a crash bar because it kept hitting my front fender. Not everyone's experience I'm sure but that was mine. Good luck;)

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Keep the stock height you will be glad you did. I did the monotubes and the 13 inch 440 Heavy Duty shocks on my 08 which has the same frame as yours and I kept the stock suspension height and I am happy with it.
The only thing I was thinking about changing was the shims in the monotubes, the monotubes come with 3 shims and for heavier people (over 250 lbs) Progressive suspension suggest that all 3 shims are installed in the monotube. I put all 3 shims in my monotubes and they seem to be a little too stiff for me when riding solo which is 99% of my riding, when riding 2 up it seems to be just right.
I was going to pull the forks and pull a shim out to see how that works for me but I just haven't got to it yet.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info guys.....exactly what I hoped for. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts