Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, this weekend I helped install new meat hook bars on a friends 2018 Road Glide. I guess this would make it my fifth bar job on a Road Glide to date. The wire pull was a bear because the bars were from a company I wasn't familiar with and the inside of the tubes was rough........... real rough. Well after two partial days on this bar swap, plenty of cutting wires, soldering, shrink tubing and wire pushing/pulling we were finally able to get the bars finished and back on the bike.

Here's my friendly reminder. The friends pulled out of my garage and headed home Sunday evening (boy was I glad that job was done). About five minutes later they pull back into the driveway because her ABS and check engine light were on. We check the operation of the left and right hand switches, check TBW operation, check for DTCs and everything, I mean everything appears to be squared away. So we pull the 50A master fuse and let the bike sit for a minute then put the fuse back. ABS and check engine light are still on. So they ride home and we schedule another time for me to trouble shoot.

I go to bed Monday night and right as I'm about to fall asleep I have an epiphany....... I wonder if the ABS electric plug came undone while I was re-routing the hydraulic lines for the 14" bars. Send them a text, take a phone call and then send them a picture. She goes out to check and guess what............ the ABS plug had come undone. Don't know how as it has a clip, but it apparently it wasn't properly latched at the factory. So my friendly reminder......... once you think you have everything done, double check it one more time. So easy to overlook the simplest of things.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wish I still lived in Arkansas....youd have some beer coming your way to help me do my install :grin:

Not looking forward to it at all.... I'll probably just wait until the season comes to an end to really take my time.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
What bar did she end up going with? I know she’s gonna love the 14’s. So I’m guessing hubby is next? Lol!!!!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What bar did she end up going with? I know she’s gonna love the 14’s. So I’m guessing hubby is next? Lol!!!!
Something off Ebay. Eric was on JSRs website and he clicked the JSR store link (which does take you to Ebay) but somehow he got redirected and ended up buying some brand I'd never heard of.

He was able to send his set back and order genuine JSR bars for his bike. So Cat and Eric will have slightly different bars, although both are meat hook style. Cat seems to like them though......

Time will tell. Once we get Eric's done, I'm taking a break from bar installs for a while. Cat's set was a huge (huge!) pain in my butt. I've never been so frustrated with a set of bars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts