Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fully prepared to spend too much money for a new RG when they introduced the new platform ..... aluminum frame, single sided swingarm, and other weight saving moves that reduced overall weight by just over 100 pounds. Combine that with all new conventional suspension front and back that actually works. (A guy can dream, can't he!)

2019, no new RG platform
2020, no new RG platform
2021, no new RG platform
2022 ?, no looking too hopeful.

So I have decided to keep Sedona Sally around until I can ride her no more. She's a 2011 103 TC Sedona Orange FLTRX. She's been a good ride and has treated me well, never leaving me stranded on the side of the road. One ignition switch and regular fluid/filter changes is all she's ever asked for. Once I made up my mind to keep her around, I knew she needed a thorough check up and replacement of any known wear items that show considerable wear (lifters, chain tensioner, etc.), and also deserved a little fresh lipstick. She's getting a little 'spa treatment' over these next 30 days.

Last month Re-Do gave me a hand installing my new 700 watt Stinger Amp running bridged into a pair of Ground Zero coaxial yellow basket speakers. Much improved, thanks John.

To be done:

Fox fork cartridge system to help an ageing front suspension that has sucked since day one - 3rd try upcoming
New head bearings, and new wheel bearings
New Lindahl Gold brake pads all around
New lifters, as well as any other wear items that need to be replaced
New CD front/rear turn signals, and Cirro bag lights
New gloss black drilled clutch/brake levers
New gloss black CD mirrors with LED driving and turn signal LEDs built in
New PM contrast cut Hole Shot shifter rod
New Klock Werks windshield w/ their custom well nuts

It won't look a lot different but she'll feel better knowing that her internals are all good and she'll be able to strut her new stuff to the other gals next time we're at a bike event.

·
Administrator
11,682 Posts
We on the same channel Kev , jus gonna keep this ole gal freshened up as needed ..

JtB

·
Super Moderator
12,892 Posts
Looking forward to seeing her the next time we meet up.

·
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking forward to seeing her the next time we meet up.
Are you joining us in Crawfordville for the "Meet and Greet" at the end of October?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
how many miles on her?

i would consider having the swingarm bearings, and rear engine mounts replaced also.

·
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to hear UF!! Sometimes keeping an old steed is better in the long run...
Call me weird, but I run stock bags and fairing because I like the looks of them best. They're all terrific, but in my eye the pre-Rushmore fairing has a better look than what came before or after it, though the new ones are a better design in terms of ease of access/removal. I'm praying that the Fox cartridge kit greatly improves on what I have now. The front fork is the weakest part of my ride and has been for a while.

·
Super Moderator
12,892 Posts
Are you joining us in Crawfordville for the "Meet and Greet" at the end of October?
I don’t know, but I’m going to go ahead and make reservations just in case. Been really busy at work, we’re short staffed.

Reactions: Firetech

·
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don’t know, but I’m going to go ahead and make reservations just in case. Been really busy at work, we’re short staffed.
I've studied this thoroughly, and I have yet to find a single person who had, "I wish I could have worked one more day", on their tombstone. Don't be the first.

Reactions: DanHappy

·
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have 6.5 weeks, I hope you find a solution. We all miss you two when you don't make it ..... OK, they miss Saunnie, not you so much! lol. (TJ316 told me to say that.)

·
Registered
985 Posts
And here I was like, I don’t remember seeing anything about Crawfordsville Indiana.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Call me weird, but I run stock bags and fairing because I like the looks of them best. They're all terrific, but in my eye the pre-Rushmore fairing has a better look than what came before or after it, though the new ones are a better design in terms of ease of access/removal. I'm praying that the Fox cartridge kit greatly improves on what I have now. The front fork is the weakest part of my ride and has been for a while.
You put rear shocks on yet ?

·
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You put rear shocks on yet ?
Yes, I put Progressives on it when it had 1,000 miles on it. I had Progressive's fork cartridge installed at that same time but it was worse than stock. In retrospect, I believe that the young tech at the HD dealer where I had it done, just didn't know what he was doing and screwed up the install. I then switched back to HD fork springs which were just slightly better. Now I'm hoping for "the third times the charm" results from the Fox unit. Despite being 9+ years old the shocks seem to be just fine .... or once the fork is much better perhaps I'll find that the shocks suck too but I didn't notice it because the fork was so bad!

For some reason unknown to me, a few days ago I was on here and for some reason I got thinking of "Bilijac" from Jersey. I haven't talked with him since Romper Room was effectively shut down, you ever hear from him in recent years?

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
No not at all. All those guys just disappeared. Maybe over on FB

·
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No not at all. All those guys just disappeared. Maybe over on FB
At least we've still got brother "Reds" here. OK, you've now got 6 weeks to figure out how to make it down to the FL Meet and Greet ..... just sayin'.

Reactions: Big_gary

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I was fully prepared to spend too much money for a new RG when they introduced the new platform ..... aluminum frame, single sided swingarm, and other weight saving moves that reduced overall weight by just over 100 pounds. Combine that with all new conventional suspension front and back that actually works. (A guy can dream, can't he!)

2019, no new RG platform
2020, no new RG platform
2021, no new RG platform
2022 ?, no looking too hopeful.

So I have decided to keep Sedona Sally around until I can ride her no more. She's a 2011 103 TC Sedona Orange FLTRX. She's been a good ride and has treated me well, never leaving me stranded on the side of the road. One ignition switch and regular fluid/filter changes is all she's ever asked for. Once I made up my mind to keep her around, I knew she needed a thorough check up and replacement of any known wear items that show considerable wear (lifters, chain tensioner, etc.), and also deserved a little fresh lipstick. She's getting a little 'spa treatment' over these next 30 days.

Last month Re-Do gave me a hand installing my new 700 watt Stinger Amp running bridged into a pair of Ground Zero coaxial yellow basket speakers. Much improved, thanks John.

To be done:

Fox fork cartridge system to help an ageing front suspension that has sucked since day one - 3rd try upcoming
New head bearings, and new wheel bearings
New Lindahl Gold brake pads all around
New lifters, as well as any other wear items that need to be replaced
New CD front/rear turn signals, and Cirro bag lights
New gloss black drilled clutch/brake levers
New gloss black CD mirrors with LED driving and turn signal LEDs built in
New PM contrast cut Hole Shot shifter rod
New Klock Werks windshield w/ their custom well nuts

It won't look a lot different but she'll feel better knowing that her internals are all good and she'll be able to strut her new stuff to the other gals next time we're at a bike event.
Looks like a good list.

Are you adding cams while you have the chest open?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
As long as the cam chest is open a cam would be a quick and not too expensive upgrade...

·
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Looks like a good list.

Are you adding cams while you have the chest open?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
I hadn't planned on it John. It pains me to say this but I'm going to be 70 in Feb. and that means I've experienced a significant slowing of my reaction time and a loss of strength/stamina, and I also just don't feel a need to accelerate faster than my Stage 1 103 TC can take me. My days of longing for more and more go-fast mods is definitely in my rear view mirror. Simply put, I'm more interested these days in cranking some favorite tunes than cranking the throttle. I just hope to get a handful of additional years of riding in a way that allows me to smell the roses along the way. I've been riding for 56 years and have enjoyed damned near every ride I ever made. I still get a sense of anticipation and a smile on my face every time I swing a leg over her. Facing the reality of having to walk away from riding soon causes me anxiety when I think about it 😢, but age and health issues bring it back into focus. I just need to learn to be more thankful for all the years of pleasure the hobby/sport has brought me. It's been the one constant in my life over all these years, and for that I'm thankful. (y)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts