Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with the help of this forum, the manual, and a little preplanning I changed my chrome cans (bells) out for black denim ones this morn. It took about 4 hours, stopping long the way to take many pics so if I forgot I could trace my steps through a photo history. I have to say the hardest part is the ignition switch and the fork tube top bolts. I found a YouTube video from a post here and practiced taking the ignition switch out and putting it back a couple times to get a feel for it. The first time I did it I thought I had it pushed all the way back in and when I released it I turned it to off and the darn thing popped up and was instantly misaligned .... I found a flat blade screwdriver that fit and fiddled around in the hole until I got it to click back to lock and tried again, this time with success!
And the top fork tube bolts are too big for anything I had. Even being a car guy and having all kinds of tools the only one I found that would work was a socket and I did not want to loosen the handlebars just to get an extension on there so I used a cresent wrench and they came off much easier than expected!
I just worked slow and referred to the manual and before I knew it it was done!! What fun!! And the added bling, er, black, was worth it!
Lets see if I can upload a pic or 2....

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And complete....

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My helper...

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another view

Attachments

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Well done... Congrats on a successfuly DYI. Now I have to ask... Is your jack really sitting on top of a board, and if so why? Just curious.

Looks like a pretty cool helper too.
Rowdy

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well done... Congrats on a successfuly DYI. Now I have to ask... Is your jack really sitting on top of a board, and if so why? Just curious.

Looks like a pretty cool helper too.
Rowdy
On the pic from the front? No, that's a short ramp board. I have one for each wheel since the jack won't clear the frame when I roll her under from the right then try to stand the bike up. I also use the HD framerail covers on the cotton. Orange rubber that covers the frame for jacking.
The wood just got pushed back when I removed the front wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also found the instrument nacelle cover to be a pita... After I realized it split down the middle coming apart into 2 pieces I just jiggled it around until I was able to move it up the bars enough to get to the fork top bolts. ( some things us car guys just don't use a manual for!)
A note on the ignition switch.... I used the flathead screwdriver to unlock the front then left it there to keep things aligned in the ignition housing. The copper pipe tool from the video link in a sticky post from above would be easier but l had no 1/4 inch copper. Think I'll make one for next time....
And if you try it like this, my screwdriver went further into the bore than necessary and would not turn. I just pulled it up slowly trying to turn it every once in a while until it clicked and turned. Remember to remove the pressure from the locked forks by moving the steering as you jiggle.
Here a picture of a picture... Sorry, don't know how to upload from my camera/computer yet...

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks great with your black header & chrome muffler combo. Nice job.
Thanks! But I just put on RC Components 4" black with sumpthin sumpthin tips!

UPS man brought me a late day gift...

Hadn't even thought to remove the reflectors??!! Hmmmmm..

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
1 - 14 of 14 Posts