Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a few parts to a local guy who I think was new to powder coating. The parts were chrome and I wanted them gloss black. Since I have installed them I find that the slightest ding, for want of a better word, the powder coat comes off and you can see the chrome. Should he have done anything to the chrome before powder coating them?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I took a few parts to a local guy who I think was new to powder coating. The parts were chrome and I wanted them gloss black. Since I have installed them I find that the slightest ding, for want of a better word, the powder coat comes off and you can see the chrome. Should he have done anything to the chrome before powder coating them?
Your kidding right?! Is the chrome underneath shiny? Chrome is a mirror surface, very tough and very durable as long as the metal underneath is prepped properly. When you want to either paint over it or powdercoat over it you need to treat the chrome surface so the paint or powder has something to adhere to. there is a thread here that describes how to paint chrome and I have done that on some pieces and they are still lasting after a year. My powdercoated pieces were done by Jetman who is here on this forum too. He sandblasts the chrome and chemically treats the chrome first before powder. This way the paint/powder has something to adhere or bite onto. The Powdercoat is pretty strong. I have bolts powdered and as long as you don't bang on them they take normal tightening and no powder flaking.

Your man may have scuffed the chrome but not enough. Or didn't bake it sufficiently or even chemically treated it properly. I know enough to just get me in trouble here but sitting there one day watching Jetman work I learned a lot.

In short, no it shouldn't flake off like that. Take it back and have him redo it or give you your $$ back

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
It is possible to powder over chrome, but you have to still follow certain steps and it's normally only done w/ translucent colors. Any shade of black (or basoically any other color other than a translucent) the top chrome layer should be Sandblasted, treated w/ Acetone or Denatured Alcohol, gassed out, shot withh powder & then cured properly per the powder manufactuer specs. No way should your stuff be flaking as you describe.....Request a refund .....with what you describe, I don't know that I'd trust him for a re-do.....Good Luck

**** in the attached the floor board pans & kick stand are in Satin. The kickstand bracket is gloss. The dash you can see the center is Chrome.... the remainder has been sandblasted.....this is how a part should look like before powder hits it......

Attachments

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
As Jetman described is how it should be done. Powder coat needs to be applied to a bare metal surface to be done right. If your finish is flaking off that easy he did not prep the metal correctly.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. Yes, of course I have seen Jetman's work on here and have been impressed. I think the young lad did not prep as described. Not worth going after him for the $$s so will be in contact with Jetman in the near future.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Thank you all. Yes, of course I have seen Jetman's work on here and have been impressed. I think the young lad did not prep as described. Not worth going after him for the $$s so will be in contact with Jetman in the near future.
I can respect that, but at least bring it to his attention. We all had to start somewhere.....he may not have had the mentorship that I was fortunate to have. If he knows he's not following a proper process, at least he can have the opportunity to learn and improve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts