Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out early this morning to complete my ABCs of Touring HOG points for cities/towns. It was a crisp morning and beautiful day to ride the 526 miles round trip to collect my letter "Z". Gathered a few more county points, as well. Rode through the scenic Flint Hills and saw a few other bikes, but not as many as I would have thought given how nice it is today...ride safe!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a good day. I'd like to hear more about your ABC's experience. I read about it on the website earlier this week and am interested.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
You can download the information and forms from the HOG site if you are a member. It is a lot of fun planning routes to get the most points from a day's ride...I've gotten as many as 12 points in a day. As of now I have a total of 75 points as follows: 26 cities (A-Z), 19 counties (A-Z), 10 Harley dealerships, 1 Harley assembly plant, 5 National Parks, 5 National Forests and 9 states. I started the process late when I went to Utah in July to visit the 5 National Parks there. Since then I am on a mission to at least get 80+ points. I have to travel further now to complete the counties, heading to NM and SD for them. I can pick up several more states pretty easily though. One of the best ways to get points is by attending HOG rallies, which unfortunately don't fit my schedule that often. I'm enjoying accomplishing the task though.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T&T, congrats! Post a list of your alphabet.
Here are my 26 A-Z city/town points. As I mentioned, I have a total of 75 points to date and have traveled 5,982 miles to get them for an average of 79.76 miles per point...not too bad!

Archie, MO
Blue Springs, MO
Cole Camp, MO
Dearborn, MO
Eldon, MO
Fairway, KS
Grandview, MO
Hillsdale, KS
Independence, MO
Junction City, KS
Knob Noster, MO
Lenexa, KS
Mission, KS
New Strawn, KS
Olathe, KS
Prairie Village, KS
Quenemo, KS
Roeland Park, KS
St. Joseph, MO
Topeka, KS
Urich, MO
Versailles, MO
Westwood, KS
Xenia, KS
Yates Center, KS
Zenda, KS

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you use that as a reason to ride!!! LOL
Is this your first time doing the abc??
The ABC's are one of many reasons for me to ride and, yes, this is my first year accumulating ABC points. I wasn't even aware of them until one of my riding buddies suggested it...I think I'm about 30 points ahead of him now!:D

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
That is so cool! I'll have to check this out.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm going to try and complete my A-Z counties in the next couple of rides and pick up a few more states while at it. I had read on another forum (what do they know?) that you could achieve all 26, but I have been over and over the county lists for every state and there is no letter X county to be found. The remaining others are good rides and several I need can be gotten in one very long day. The fill ins I need will be Ida, Quay, Taylor, Union, York and Zavala.

The list I have so far is:

Allen
Bourbon
Cass
Douglas
Elk
Franklin
Greenwood
Henry

Johnson
Kingman
Linn
Miami
Neosho
Osage
Platte

Riley
Shawnee

Vernon
Wabaunsee

·
Super Moderator
10,225 Posts
when they first started the abc's I got 70 points or so one year ..

some a those peeps really rack them up

there is no county in the US whose name begins with the letter X

JtB

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
when they first started the abc's I got 70 points or so one year ..

some a those peeps really rack them up

there is no county in the US whose name begins with the letter X

JtB
I was just glad to locate my X town fairly close to where I live. Xenia, KS is a little over an hour away. I rode down just hoping there would still be a sign as the information I gathered said the Post Office closed in 1926! Lo and behold there was a sign at either end of the 1/4 mile long town. Had it not been there, I would have been off to Xenia, OH.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any reason to ride is a good reason! :)
Agreed, and today I ended up riding 682 miles to pick up a few more points. My plan was to run into Iowa and hit Taylor and Ida Counties and head home...simple enough. Since I came out onto I-29 at Sioux City from Ida Grove, IA for the return home, I instead made the several more miles run north into South Dakota and Union County. A little under eleven hours round trip and back home. I now have 78 points for my ABCs and see getting another 5 or 6 more in the next couple of weeks. The rides are getting longer and the days are getting shorter to rack up more points after that...ride safe!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I acquired my Y county today by riding 523 miles round trip to York County, NE. I have two counties to go to complete the A-Z list, Quay in NM and Zavala in TX. I'm planning to head to NM next weekend to pick up Quay County and that route takes me through TX and into NM. The next week I'm heading to spend Thanksgiving with family near Ft. Hood so I will ride down to Zavala County, TX from there to complete the list. Once I pick those two counties and two states up, I'll have a total of 85 HOG ABC points for the year...not bad considering I didn't start acquiring them until July. We'll see what next year brings!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The HOG ABC's of Touring prize package came in the mail the other day for my submitted points. I had mailed my entry well before the December 31st deadline and received a card in early January stating to look for the package in late April. As offered for 78 or more points, I received a patch, pin, side stand plate, Guardian bell, backpack and pullover jacket. Each item reads ABC's of Touring on it. I had a really fun time planning my rides to maximize the points gathered during each outing and covered 7,689 total miles accumulating the 85 points. My 2013 points acquired were 26 cities A-Z, 25 counties A-Z(no X), 12 states, 1 country, 10 dealers, 1 manufacturing facility, 5 Nat'l Parks and 5 Nat'l Forests. Curious as to how many RG forum members have participated in the HOG ABC's of Touring.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Congratulations!!!

I started out doing that but lost the commitment. Perhaps another time.

It looks like you got Photo-bombed on this one...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts