Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with a 2015 and up roadglide special that has a freedom windsheild what did u go with. They have the sport touring and the touring. I'm looking at a 12in and I'm 6'0 tall I have a a mustang solo wide tripper seat that puts me down 1in and back 1in. Wanted to which one u picked and y

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a 2016 FLTRXS with a Freedom Shields 12" Sport Touring in the dark tint. I am 6'3" tall, 34" inseam, and slouch a little when I ride. I love the windshield. I debated between the 12" and the 13". I wanted the shortest possible windshield. There is no buffeting for me at any speeds. I have run it up to 100-110mph and it has been fine. On the open highway, I typically ride around 70-80mph with clean air around me. I do ride two up a bit with my children. No one has complained about air in their face when riding.

·
Registered
89 Posts
2015 FLTRXS. I went with the 10" Touring in Dark Grey. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and slouch when I ride. I'm have a Mustang Tripper Fastback seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Did your lowers make a big difference for clean air?
The air is cleaner and I find them to be very comfortable. Quite honestly, I wasn't concerned with the air so much. I will ride in the rain on long trips and liked the idea of the additional protection they would provide. The other two reasons I went with them were purely cosmetic as I like the looks of them and I wanted to add two more speakers to the sound system.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2016 FLTRXS with a Freedom Shields 12" Sport Touring in the dark tint. I am 6'3" tall, 34" inseam, and slouch a little when I ride. I love the windshield. I debated between the 12" and the 13". I wanted the shortest possible windshield. There is no buffeting for me at any speeds. I have run it up to 100-110mph and it has been fine. On the open highway, I typically ride around 70-80mph with clean air around me. I do ride two up a bit with my children. No one has complained about air in their face when riding.

Thanks for the info the same with me I don't ride 2 up and I was looking more able to hear my radio instead of spending 300 on sound system I figured go this route first.im wondering more about how the sport flare block the wind compared to the touring one. But I like the look of the sport better

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for the info the same with me I don't ride 2 up and I was looking more able to hear my radio instead of spending 300 on sound system I figured go this route first.im wondering more about how the sport flare block the wind compared to the touring one. But I like the look of the sport better

I find the sound to be very clear with the Freedom Shields windshield. Of course, I am running a 4 channel 1000w Soundstream amp and 4 Polk MM651 speakers. There generally hasn't been a need to go above half volume. On occasion, I will turn it up to 3/4 volume, but that is when I am alone, moving pretty good, and have an inspiring tune playing.

I personally believe that some of the trouble of hearing your radio has to do with what type and quality of helmet you are wearing. Riding around town, I typically wear a half helmet. When riding long distances on the highway, I wear a full face Shoei. I can hear a lot better and clearer with the Shoei on and the face shield up or even just cracked open. The half helmet typically has me turning up the volume a little more.

c

·
Registered
66 Posts
Canderso are those the HD Chizeled Lo Bars?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am 6' 1" with a 33" inseam. I have the 14" freedom shield and the wind coming off the top of the shield hits me right in the forehead.

Just ordered a 15" to see how that rides.

Attachments

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am 6' 1" with a 33" inseam. I have the 14" freedom shield and the wind coming off the top of the shield hits me right in the forehead.

Just ordered a 15" to see how that rides.
Love the color same bike and I just got so do you think being that I am 511 with a 31 inch inseam of 12 freedom torrent Shield will be good or stick with the sports shield in at 12

·
Registered
240 Posts
Love the color same bike and I just got so do you think being that I am 511 with a 31 inch inseam of 12 freedom torrent Shield will be good or stick with the sports shield in at 12

Windshields are such a personal preference i can't say.

How does the current windshield work?

The reason I am trying 1" higher is if I slouch just a bit the air is extremely calm.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Anyone with a 2015 and up roadglide special that has a freedom windsheild what did u go with. They have the sport touring and the touring. I'm looking at a 12in and I'm 6'0 tall I have a a mustang solo wide tripper seat that puts me down 1in and back 1in. Wanted to which one u picked and y

2015 RGS with a HD "Rallyrunner" seat. I am 5'9", 32 inseam, and have the 11" Freedom Touring shield in light smoke. Airflow, for me, is perfect, and I look right over the shield. Can hear the sound system much better than with the 8" stock shield. It is great on the open road, but the tint messes with my head in the low light and shadows. Wish I had just gotten clear. If I need to replace, will go with a clear 10" Sport Touring model as I like to look over a windshield just a little more.
I have never encountered a higher quality windshield on any MC than the Freedom.

Reactions: BklynRGU

·
Registered
8 Posts
Freedom Shield

I am 5' 11" and have the stock seat on my 2016 RGU - the stock shield used to dump the wind at the base of my nose. I went with the 17" Sport touring in the dark grey tint and I love it. The wind now dumps about 2 in above my head and I can hear the stereo very clearly with no wind noise. I have attached a photo after I installed the Freedom Shield.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I started with a 15" sport and moved to a 16" touring. I am just over 6' with a 33" inseam. Due to having spine and neck issues with disk fusion I had to get the airstream over my head. The touring is a dream and enables me to ride 500 miles a day now without problems. BTW I still look over the shield not through it even when I slouch.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have the 14" Sport Med Tint and am 6' 6" 36" inseam and the only complaint I have is that if you install the HD windshield bag the mounting holes need to be modified for it all to fit. I had to make an oval in the outer holes to
make fit.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
6' 1" / 34" Inseam / 235lbs.

I have three Freedom Shileds;

13" Touring Dark Smoke (1st shield from John)
12" Touring Dark Smoke (2nd shield from John)
11" Sport Touring Dark Smoke (3rd shield from John)

I liked the 13" touring but to me it just looked too tall on the bike from the front. I live in an area with lots of hills and mountains and the 13" seemed to leave me wishing the shield was either a bit taller or a bit shorter so that I wasn't constantly trying to look through the top of the shield.

So I bought the 12" touring. For me that was about the perfect shield. Looked good from any angle, didn't seem to constantly be in my way and offered decent wind / element protection and could definitely hear the stereo fairly well at cruising speeds.

Then John released the Sport Touring and I knew I had to try it. So I ordered the Sport Touring in 11" Dark Smoke and figured I'd use it around town or short trips. I would still have my other shields to swap out if I decided on longer rides that might include some inclement weather.

I've had the 11" Sport Touring on my 2015 RG since the day it arrived. It's never come off and I've never felt the need to swap it out for one of my taller spares. Looks great on the bike and still offers much better rider protection than the purely cosmetic OEM shield. it has been a good compromise between sporty looks and acceptable function.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Freedom Shield.jpg

I'm 6'5", 38" inseam
My '13 RGC had a seat that pushed me back 2" and down 1". I ran a 16" Freedom shield which was much better than stock, but I still experienced some buffeting. I had to sit up straight to see over it.
On my '16 RGU, my Mustang seat pushes me back 2". I went with a 15". If you do the math, that's basically 2" lower than what I had before. 1" taller than stock RGU windshield and a little wider. The biggest difference is the Freedom Shield pushes the air around me and I can see over it, no problem. With the fairing vents closed I don't get much air on my head until I get over 60 MPH.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I forgot to mention in my above post that I also added the Harley plastic air deflectors that clip on top of the crash bar in front of the tank. I am not sure how much they help with air management as I have had them on since the day I took delivery of my bike. Either way I get zero buffeting on my bike whether the vents are open or closed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts