Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm new here, but not new to bikes. I've been riding and customising bikes for over 30 years. I decided to sell my Indian that I had since 2015 and move back to HD. So I ordered a new CVORG in Mako back in early May and I'm supposed to be collecting and paying for it on the 1st of September here in the UK (the new reg plate comes out on that date). Delay in picking the bike up was due to my being overseas for quite a while. Anyway, I've been researching and following the oil migration and sumping problems for some time now and after much deliberation, my stealer has agreed to fit the HD vent kit on the bike for me prior to me collecting and paying for it. However, he won't budge on installing to revised oil pup, 'O' ringn gerotor etc, saying it hasn't sumped yet! I'm a huge believer in prevention rather than cure, but he says HD won't install it and that my 117ci engine might not even sump! Gave him the arguments about design flaws and whay they are being retro fitted to all M8's etc, but he says its an 8hr job for their techs to change it out, plus the pump costs etc... Anyway, I requested the VIN and Engine numbers from him a while back when i was ioverseas, but I can't find out much online using them both. I'm assuming that the bike build and engine build dates will be different and I'm also led to believe that all M8 engines built after 22nd May 2019 have had the revised oil pump already installed? If I post up the VIN and engine numbers here, could anyone find outmore information for me on the bike build date (i know its a 2019, but I don't know the month..?) and the engine build date please? My stealer says they have been trying, can't find out themselves?? I say BS...
Apologies for this lengthy first post about an issue that has been flogged to death, but I am not sure of my next move until I find out more ...
Cheers
Chillo (UK)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I’ve only owned twin cams(4 of them) and never had or worried about problems with any of them. The M8s have had issues but seems like many on forum are happy with them. Putting that vent kit on was a good move to prevent the oil migration which seems to be more common than the sumping I believe. Seems like you have doubts about the M8 and was just wondering why you sold the Indian to get a Harley? Anyway,hope you find the answers you’re looking for. Sounds like an awesome ride you’re getting!

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Welcome to the forum, good luck in getting your questions answered. I’ve had my 18 road glide with the M8 for almost 2 years now and I haven’t had any issues at all with the sumping etc..

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I have a 114" 2019. No issues as of yet. Came with the vent already installed.

Cant help ya with the VIN. But welcome and good luck.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
This is my 2nd M8 and no issues what so ever with sumping or fluid migration. There is a great chance your CVO already has the updated backplate if you had to order it. It was likely manufactured after the new backplate started being installed on the line. Also, I don't blame your dealer for not agreeing to install the new backplate because they are right. It hasn't sumped yet. They need to prove the issue to the MoCo in order to get reimbursed from them. The new backplate is only $28, in the US, so if you are that worried it would not be a big deal for you to buy one and open things up to see if you already have it. If not you can put it in and move on. Contrary to what you read on the internet the problem isn't as vast as what it makes it seem. I doubt if it is even 20% of the bikes that are produced that show the signs of sumping. However, once the bikes have stage III/IV kits installed that percentage does go up. The migration issue is likely higher but looks like they will take care of that before delivery. Just monitor your fluids closely and try not to worry about it. Most likely it will be fine. Good luck and enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Welcome, from New York, to The Greatest Forum on The Internet!
RGKen, is a Wealth of Knowledge, when it comes to Harley's so I would take His advice.
Best of Luck and I hope all works out to Your liking.
Mike U.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you lads for all of your welcomes and replies to the thread. It is very much appreciated ...

I basically decided to sell the Indian because I had finished putting my 'stamp' on it and wanted to go back to HD and was also influenced by the fact my closest Indian dealer is about 120 miles away, whereas the local HD shop is only 6 miles up the road. Also, I managed to negotiate what I think was a cracking deal on the 2019 CVORG, in what I think is a great looking and (according to many reviews ) a great performing machine.

Maybe I have been reading a little too much into some of the problems that (I know now represent only around 20%) owners were encountering. After some pursuation, HD have at least stepped up and are fitting the inner primary vent kit for me this week, so as many of you say, that can only be a good thing. I always like to keep on top of things like fluid levels etc, so I'll be keeping and extra close eye on those from the off. If oil does migrate from the tranny into the primary, I'm 15 minutes from their workshop to have it logged onto their system and sorted out. I was really more concerned with the sumping issue, since it seemed to be happening more with staged engines and the 117ci CVO's, rather than stock 107's and 114's, but I'm going to put those thoughts behind me now and when I get the bike I'll just ride the hell out of it and enjoy it as much as i can.

Thanks again lads...

I'll post up some photo's once I take possesion and the UK weather allows.

Cheers
Chillo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you to you all for your reassuring replies... and kind welcomes.
I hope to glean a lot of useful information from this forum and contribute some of my own wherenever I can.

Cheers again lads...

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Congrats and welcome from Mass!

Looking forward to pics!

18 RGS with the stage 3 107 to 114 kit, added the $28.00 cam plate that Ken spoke about. The kit was added before I took delivery, almost 6k miles with no issues and I am not expecting any.

Drive it like you stole it, that's why you have a warranty!!!>:)>:)>:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
........ So I ordered a new CVORG in Mako back in early May and I'm supposed to be collecting and paying for it on the 1st of September here in the UK (the new reg plate comes out on that date). Delay in picking the bike up was due to my being overseas for quite a while. Anyway, I've been researching and following the oil migration and sumping problems for some time now and after much deliberation, ....
Chillo (UK)
Hello, I picked up my CVO RG 2019 in June, and have put over 13'000KMS Since June. Just completed an early 16'000KMS service. Absolutely 0 issues, nought, zilch nada....

Might be in the UK before the end of the year in the Eastbourne area if you are nearby.

(BTW; Never a great idea to post a VIN number on the Web)

Happy riding!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new scoot

Ride the shit out of that bad boy and IF you have issues
Let the warranty do its thing

·
Registered
50 Posts
Let's say HD builds 200k M8 bikes a year. If 20% have major sumping issues, that's 40,000 bikes. NO WAY am I believing that. If you go on all the different Harley forums, I bet there isn't even 1000 people combined that regularly post. Nobody goes to any forum just to say "hey, I have a new Harley, and there haven't been any issues!". However, 99 of the 100 guys that did have an issue are on a forum screaming bloody murder. Google search "pain in stomach" and you will think you have full body stage 4 cancer after reading it... You will have a warranty. If it sumps, blows up, eats the transmission, paint flakes, clutch leaks, radio dies, wheels fall off, etc, they will take care of you. I would not worry about it and just ride, as Guns and Roses said, "I don't worry about nothin, no, cause worrying's a waste of my time".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts