Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm out for a nice days ride when about halfway through the day the ABS light comes on and stays lit.
When I got home I read the DTC: C1023 Rear wheel speed sensor always equals zero...
I checked the wiring from the rear axle along the swing arm up into the ABS control module, all good visually. I reset the DTC and went for a quick ride. In short order the light was on and solid again.
Same DTC had been thrown. I have ordered a replacement sensor and am waiting for it to arrive.

Any thoughts on why an ABS sensor would fail without external damage?
Thanks...

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
It's electronic, so it can fail.

With that said, issues with the wiring and wheel bearings are more common than failed sensors.

And the service procedure is to replace the bearing and sensor as a set. But I think that's about there being no sure way to determine which is at fault.

If you VOM is sensitive enough, or has a Hz setting, you can just connect to the sensor and see if it generates a signal when the wheel turns. If it does, then you'll need to check the circuit/harness

I've only ever seen one bad wheel sensor, and it had a brand new tire on it. Who ever changed the tire probably let it bounce off the floor. But I have seen a few dead wheel bearings set that code.

·
Administrator
12,506 Posts
Related in another way, your ABS will also fail if you don't change the brake fluid. Yours definitely sounds bearing or sensor related, but don't forget to change the fluid every 2 years also.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

I installed the new sensor but the fault persists. I am still waiting on the ABS bearing to arrive.
My gut tells me (along with Thermodyne), that will solve the problem. The existing tone ring assembly was an add on to a non-abs bearing supplied with the after market wheel when purchased. It's a cheap plastic spacer that surrounds a small metal ring that all gets sandwiched between the fork and the wheel.
It looks like it froze in place after a couple years on the bike and stopped rotating to induce a signal in the sensor. I'm pretty sure a dedicated one piece ABS bearing will do the trick. I'll keep you posted...

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I installed the new sensor but the fault persists. I am still waiting on the ABS bearing to arrive.
My gut tells me (along with Thermodyne), that will solve the problem. The existing tone ring assembly was an add on to a non-abs bearing supplied with the after market wheel when purchased. It's a cheap plastic spacer that surrounds a small metal ring that all gets sandwiched between the fork and the wheel.
It looks like it froze in place after a couple years on the bike and stopped rotating to induce a signal in the sensor. I'm pretty sure a dedicated one piece ABS bearing will do the trick. I'll keep you posted...
Do be careful when installing that bearing. It needs to be pushed in by the outer race. Don't hammer it, or push it by the center race.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do be careful when installing that bearing. It needs to be pushed in by the outer race. Don't hammer it, or push it by the center race.
Thanks, I have the JIMS tool with a 25mm press

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New bearings installed. Problem solved.

Reactions: RGKen
1 - 7 of 7 Posts