Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago. I was backing out of my garage, like a normally do. I turned the ignition on and the ABS light started blinking. Once I started the bike the light stayed on. I rode for about an hour and it never went off. Started it again today, and still the same. I am going to bring it to the dealer in the next couple of days.

Any advice?

·
Registered
347 Posts
My wife's 2010 Street Glide had that issue. After a lot of codes, diagnostic crap, etc., it was determined that the entire wire harness that had to be replaced. Not saying that it is the same issue for you, but good luck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife's 2010 Street Glide had that issue. After a lot of codes, diagnostic crap, etc., it was determined that the entire wire harness that had to be replaced. Not saying that it is the same issue for you, but good luck.
I hope that isn't the case. I have found a bunch of different things online about what it could be. From as much as a $3 part to your complete wire harness replacement. I guess I just need to take it down to the deal to see what they say.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
H-D says that when the ABS light stays on,.. it reverts back to normal brakes. Just keep that in mind if you keep riding when the light is on, and plan for you stops as you would back in the stone age :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
The same thing happened to mine after i had some work done at the dealer. It came unpluged under the fairing where the lines go to the front brakes. Hard to see but follow the ABS line with your hand coming up from the front brakes under the fairing to see if the plug is engaged. Hopefully that is all it is. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same thing happened to me on the day I bought it (2009) - I got it home and there it was. They said it was just a wire that had fallen off - gave me lots of confidence in their stealer prep work , or lack of it - that and the missing lighter. Anyway it ahsn't happened since...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The same thing happened to mine after i had some work done at the dealer. It came unpluged under the fairing where the lines go to the front brakes. Hard to see but follow the ABS line with your hand coming up from the front brakes under the fairing to see if the plug is engaged. Hopefully that is all it is. Good luck.
Thanks!! Followed the ABS line and this was the issue. Somehow it came unplugged. Warning light is off and back to normal.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thanks!! Followed the ABS line and this was the issue. Somehow it came unplugged. Warning light is off and back to normal.
i had the samething.dealer found it right away.i ziptied the connection to the fairing frame as apoosed to the factory snapswivel mount the bike had stock.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Had that happen on my 08. Turns out the Indy shop routed the rear abs sensor wrong when changing my tire. Wore through the insulation on the wire and grounded out on the brake rotor. Self vulcanizing tape fixed it. Rerouted and zip tied it to the swing arm. Found a new shop for next tire.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey folks,
Just back from a 4900 mile ride to Tennessee and back. Through Colorado, Utah, Nevada on the way back.

When riding through Wichita, KS, it got bloody hot! The ABS light came on when the ambient temperature was 103. When we got to the hotel, parked, then rode to dinner, the light went off and stayed off until we got to Steamboat Springs. Stop and go traffic for about 45 minutes trying to get through town while they had a rodeo and car show on the main drag. Light came on again. Once we got moving and stopped down the road a bit for gas, the light went out and stayed out until Tonopah, NV. That morning when I started the bike, the light came on and stayed on. Almost disastrous when I almost hit a horse crossing the road in Bento, CA. Locked up the back tire at around 65,,,then remembered the ABS was non-op so modulated it myself to slide around the horse, and back on the straight and narrow. Stopped to rest after another 40 miles (don't want that horse chasing me down), and the light once again reset.

Back home, it has been on and off at various points. Sure sounds like a short someplace. Any likely places to start troubleshooting?

Thanks.

BG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Problem with ABS. Dealer and factory stumped.

I recently changed my wheels on my 2011 FLTRU. I changed the stock knuckle wheels for a set of stock 2012 Road Glide wheels. Since then, I have had nothing but problems with the ABS system. When I start the bike, system calibrates as it should. As I start moving, the rear brake pedal gets rock hard, and my rear brakes won't work, I can feel the pulsing of the ABS through the pedal. Once the ABS light comes on the ABS system disables and the rear brake pedal is functional. I had new ABS bearings installed in the wheels, which are correctly installed. I have checked all the connections and I also had the rear wheel speed sensor replaced because I kept getting a C1027 code which is "Rear Wheel Speed Sensor signal intermittent". The only difference between the stock wheels I took off and the new wheels is the front wheel. It's 18 inches instead of 17. I know it's not a mechanical/hydraulic issue because the brakes work fine when the ABS is disabled. Upon taking it to the Dealer, they said there was also a Tachometer fault code which had something to do with it as well. I was really confused about that one since there wasn't a tachometer code when I rode it there and couldn't understand how engine RPM had anything to do with the wheel speed. $340 to replace the tachometer. The dealer has no Idea what the ABS issue is and called the factory. They first claimed that the factory had no idea either and was sending a new ABS module "on the house" to see if that corrects the problem. They just called me yesterday and now they are telling me that the factory just called them back and told them this problem is occurring because the wheels are a different size than the stock ones that came on the bike. I find this hard to believe because they are stock wheels off another road glide with ABS. I asked them if it had to do with reprogramming, or "flashing" the module since the caliper was removed when the wheels were replaced and you are supposed to get the module reset when you remove it for brake replacement. I also asked if there was a way to re-flash the module with the software/firmware for the newer front wheel size. They have no idea. I also recommended that they install a 17 inch wheel back on the front and ride it to see if that fixes the issue. Any suggestions from the group here? I'm frustrated and stumped. This is starting to get expensive and I find it hard to believe that the dealer, or the factory can't seem to figure this out.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
sounds like you're getting a serious run around here. the 16'', 17'', 18'' and 19'' front wheels are virtually the same overall diameter. the larger diameter of the wheel is compensated for by the lower aspect ratio of the tire.

my wife had a problem recently that sounds very similar to yours. her rear brake pedal was very stiff, and the harder you pressed on it, it wouldn't do anything until it went all the way and engaged the abs. my local dealer ended up replacing the rear master cylinder and the abs module (both under esp). her brakes work great now.+

1 - 13 of 13 Posts