Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was practicing hard braking stops at speed, which of course engages the ABS (2009 RG). I've been using the rear brake almost exclusively for this so far; still working my way up to incorporating the front brake.

Every time ABS engages during these drills - and on the occassions when it's not a drill - there is a very loud, repeated clank/clunk that comes from the rear brake while the bike is coming to a stop. I would say there are probably half a dozen clunks or so during a stop from 35 mph.

Is this normal?? Also, for those that have an understanding of how ABS works, am I causing any long-term damage - or degradation of effectiveness - by engaging ABS repeatedly during drills?

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Other than wearing out your pads and tires quicker than normal, I don't know of any ill effect.

How many miles on the bike, and when was the brake system last serviced?

Also, why are you not using the front brake? That is 70 percent of your stopping power. If you don't want to experience how the abs feels until you grab it in an emergency, you might want to rethink that.

·
Registered
844 Posts
My 13 does the same thing for some reason at times. The clunk or clank on mine feels like it comes from under my rear brake pedal some where. It only does it on mine on a hard stop unless i have my clutch pulled in then it doesn't do it, so i am curious as to what it is also.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
it is the abs module releasing and re-applying pressure.

the system is working like it's supposed to.

now, about not using the front brake......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to hear the clunking is both normal and not damaging anything.

That's a fair point on the front brake, I need to work on that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts