Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after switching to 26 Front and 17 Rear developed rear ABS pulsing when coming to a stop. Brake works fine till you get down to around 10 mph then starts pulsing. Front appears to be fine. The ECU to the ABS has already been swapped around with No improvement. I know others that have done this combination with good results. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
It could be sensing different speeds at each wheel because of the difference in wheel size and causing the ABS to activate. May have a bad sensor too

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The above is only an issue on 2014 ABS models with the linked braking. I'd say a warped rear rotor is the cause.

Drew

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drew, Inwas there when the dealer dial indicated the rear wheel and it was in tolerance. What do you called warped as in thousandths ?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Harley spec is .008" for rotor warpage. I don't use my rear often at all. I don;t see how adding a bigger front wheel could affect the rear brake at all Might try changing pads and cleaning out the caliper. Maybe the pistons are sticking due to excessive brake dust build up.

Drew

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Could be a substandard ABS bearing in the wheel.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
If there were a problem with the ABS bearing the ABS light would be on. IS it on?

Not always. Have a friend who changed out his rear wheel and had the same pulsing symptoms. He could feel it in the pedal. Turned out his bearing wasn't putting out a strong enough field. It was strong enough that the ABS light would go out, but the system freaked out when he applied his brake. Even though the wheel wasn't breaking contact with the road, the ABS thought it was skidding.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The only issue we have had with that was a the light was on. Bearing was swapped and all returned to normal. I learn something every day. Thanks.

Drew

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The wheels came from Renegade with the bearings installed. I opted on their front rotors of which one is out by .012. The rear wheel rotor is the factory one which I installed on the 17 inch rear. I have had intermittent ABS LIGHT along the way since NEW the bike has 3300 miles on it now. Had it to the dealer a couple times and NO codes. All I had to do was stop turn off ignition, turn on again and all was good for the remainder of that day. The problem with the pulsing rear pedal started after swapping the wheels, and perhaps as mentioned it may be in the bearing. All input is much lay appreciated, and these forums are great. Thx guys. Also I would like to mention. It is NOT A runout problem on the disc feeling on the pedal. It is a APPLY and release by the ABS. There is definitely a different pedal feeling between the two. I'm leaning towards the front and rear ABS bearings because the problem wasn't there before the wheel swap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Although a PITA. To remove both wheels you have a good point. I haven't put any Anti seeze on the area of the bearings, but that is not to shay someone missed it on bearing install. To be quite honest I never looked for that when installing the wheels. I will have the time Thursday to pull both wheels and have a look.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If you put anti seize on the axle and coat it liberally it can ooze out when the axle slides through the bearings. Just another thought as this seems completely random.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Brake problem has been fixed. I will briefly say It was the ABS Bearing Front, and Rear. I will give more details soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts