Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody eliminate there ABS yet? If so is it difficult? does it affect the pcm? Do i need wheel spacers after i remove sensors? I know i have to run new brake lines. I changed my wheels and rendered my ABS useless. It doesnt work anymore. Not a big deal cause the ABS block is in the way for my Arnott suspension air compressor, so i want to eliminate that octopus

·
Registered
700 Posts
I weren't a big fan of abs, or efi for that matter, but the first week after getting this bike some critter run out in the rainy wet road and the cage to my right took my lane and locked up the brakes.

Now of course this would have scared the crap out of me, 'cept I was to puckered up for that.

I grabbed all the brake I could and really expected to either lay her down or fly over that trunk lid into oblivian.

Well the bike stayed straight as an arrow and stopped a couple inches of that cage's bumper.

Thanks to abs another cager got a well deserved ass chewing.

Just saying.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I weren't a big fan of abs, or efi for that matter, but the first week after getting this bike some critter run out in the rainy wet road and the cage to my right took my lane and locked up the brakes.

Now of course this would have scared the crap out of me, 'cept I was to puckered up for that.

I grabbed all the brake I could and really expected to either lay her down or fly over that trunk lid into oblivian.

Well the bike stayed straight as an arrow and stopped a couple inches of that cage's bumper.

Thanks to abs another cager got a well deserved ass chewing.

Just saying.
You know there is a million reason not to do it an a hand full of reasons to do it. This is the first bike i ever had with ABS. I never been one to just squeeze the brake and pray. I figure its not working anyway so...... hey at least i kept the dual brakes up front :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Man ... don't do that!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
You know there is a million reason not to do it an a hand full of reasons to do it. This is the first bike i ever had with ABS. I never been one to just squeeze the brake and pray. I figure its not working anyway so...... hey at least i kept the dual brakes up front :)
If you changed the rims, did you install the ABS wheel bearings?
Without installing the correct bearings, nothing will work. Install the proper bearings in any rim, the sensors will pick up the signals and function.

·
Super Moderator
13,224 Posts
Unless you just plain hate ABS, why not try to install the proper bearings instead of removing the system? As mentioned above, it can save you when you least expect it, and pulling the fuse will disable it, but yours isn't working now, so that's redundant. You do realize your front and rear brakes go to that box you want to remove, before they go to the wheel. You will have to redo the whole system. Why not put the compressor in the saddlebag like most do? I know its your bike, but taking out the ABS will also decrease the value. Ok, I've put in more than .02 of opinions with no solution, I'm out...

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I'm surprised there are vendors out there that are stupid enough to supply wheels that would potentially make the ABS non-functional. Seems like a BAD idea to me.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
2,338 Posts
This is a topic that keeps coming up on another nameless forum. So, I got curious and called my insurance company. They said that if you have any type of factory safety equipment, that you disable, you run a huge risk of voiding your coverage if they can prove it contributed in any way to an accident. That's the way insurance companies work.

That being said....... I've been riding for 46 years. I will never buy another bike that DOES NOT have ABS.

What you do is up to you. It's your life. Have you signed your organ donor card?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
This is a topic that keeps coming up on another nameless forum. So, I got curious and called my insurance company. They said that if you have any type of factory safety equipment, that you disable, you run a huge risk of voiding your coverage if they can prove it contributed in any way to an accident. That's the way insurance companies work.
And on the other hand, the Insurance Company will also void any coverage that has some kind of "Safety Equipment" installed that has not been approved, but could have contributed to the accident.

Like trying to put Factory ABS equipment on a Harley that did not come with it from the factory. I have seen several ask if they can take the ABS parts and make their Non-ABS bike have ABS. Not a good idea.

·
Registered
946 Posts
+1 ABS good, skidding in an uncontrolled manner BAD.

Stephen

·
Registered
177 Posts
Why is that everytime the subject of ABS comes up a 100 people have to comment about how it saves their lives on a regular basis? Did everyone just start riding? How did you manage to avoid all the cagers, critters, etc...for years without it? I'm not bashing ABS, and I would definitely prefer to have it then not but just because someone wants to remove it or prefers not to have it doesn't mean they need to make sure their affairs are in order, will, donor cards, etc...we all rode for years without it and are still here to talk about it. Personally I wouldn't remove it but it's not my bike and the guy is just asking for some info not a bunch of testimonials or reasons not to do it.

To the OP try to contact some custom shops to see what they have done. I'm sure you can find one that has removed ABS and can tell you exactly what needs to be done.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
2,338 Posts
wonder why all those old skool chopper/bobber riders running around with no front brakes or drum are still alive?

I know 3 that I used to ride with back in the 70's that aren't.

One got t-boned in an intersection, so he doesn't count. The other two went down because a back brake only doesn't work very well for quick stops. They both went down in separate accidents 2 weeks apart..... and they both died from blunt force trauma, when they slid into (under) oncoming cars.

All 3 died in the same summer.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you changed the rims, did you install the ABS wheel bearings?
Without installing the correct bearings, nothing will work. Install the proper bearings in any rim, the sensors will pick up the signals and function.
Everything is the same. I checked it over and over. its a circular sensor that fits in a grove machined in the wheel. Its old technology and its sucks compared to BMW and Honda systems

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unless you just plain hate ABS, why not try to install the proper bearings instead of removing the system? As mentioned above, it can save you when you least expect it, and pulling the fuse will disable it, but yours isn't working now, so that's redundant. You do realize your front and rear brakes go to that box you want to remove, before they go to the wheel. You will have to redo the whole system. Why not put the compressor in the saddlebag like most do? I know its your bike, but taking out the ABS will also decrease the value. Ok, I've put in more than .02 of opinions with no solution, I'm out...
Not worried about value i blew that out of the water when i changed everything. pressor in saddlebags is not an option. I want nothing mounted in bags. I know i have to change lines, not that big of a deal. my buds are eliminating ABS just to run one disk up front

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why is that everytime the subject of ABS comes up a 100 people have to comment about how it saves their lives on a regular basis? Did everyone just start riding? How did you manage to avoid all the cagers, critters, etc...for years without it? I'm not bashing ABS, and I would definitely prefer to have it then not but just because someone wants to remove it or prefers not to have it doesn't mean they need to make sure their affairs are in order, will, donor cards, etc...we all rode for years without it and are still here to talk about it. Personally I wouldn't remove it but it's not my bike and the guy is just asking for some info not a bunch of testimonials or reasons not to do it.

To the OP try to contact some custom shops to see what they have done. I'm sure you can find one that has removed ABS and can tell you exactly what needs to be done.
All i wanted was some info. I would try an power out of or steer around something in an emergency. ABS isn't a safety cage it just prevents wheel lock up when its functional. I think when its your time its your time. I know a lot of dudes die drunk driving in cars, smoking cigarettes, falling off ladders and eating too much Mc Donalds

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I know a lot of dudes die drunk driving in cars, smoking cigarettes, falling off ladders and eating too much Mc Donalds

HEY, I resemble 3 of 4 of those, or used to anyway. I fell off a ladder 2 years ago and quit smoking while recouping from the broken leg, and I was just in McDonalds for the first time in a long time last weekend.

Now that those dangers are gone maybe I should disable my ABS too??

Anyone know what's different, if anything, about the bearings?? I thought the sensor was a self-contained unit??

1 - 20 of 52 Posts